Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

All TNs disabled on VGW card

Status
Not open for further replies.

curtismo

MIS
Dec 4, 2006
US
One of my technicians was in the switchroom at a remote site where we have a three-cabinet CS 1000 4.50 system. He called me when he noticed that the two VGW cards in the third cabinet (the only cards in this cabinet) had "S09" on the displays. I attempted to ping the ELAN and use Element Manager to reboot the card, but they were unreachable. I had him reboot one of the cards using the reset button on the front. The cards came back up, but all channels remained in DSBL state. Prior to the reboot I disable the card in LD 32 (DISC 30) prior to reboot then tried to reenable the card but all TNs stayed disabled.

When I tried disabling then reenabling the cards I got a response error that the card command timed out. Prior to resetting the cards I also tried doing a IDC command on the cards which also timed out.

Since these were the only two cards in the cabinet I had him cycle power on that cabinet.

After power came back up I then was able to reenable each TN individually (ENLU 30 x) and the cards are back working. I have another VGW card that was handling the load but am wondering how I could bring all channels up. When I tried disabling then reenabling the cards I got a response error that the card command timed out. Prior to resetting the cards I also.

I am also wondering whether there is a power problem in this cabinet? In nine years and seven cabinets, this cabinet was the only one that I have had to replace a power supply in (last year). I sort of remember that there was a problem with a certain vintage of power supply and as this cabinet was a later add-on to this system.

We had this problem with our CS1000e 5.5 system. A MGC loadware patch resolved the problem. Are you on the latest and greatest patch? The most recent MGC/VGW patch is CAM03.

S09 indicates the ELAN is not reachable.

Not sure on your power problem question ... could be possible.

More than likely I need a new Deplist installed. Interesting that the third VGW card in another cabinet kept working. I think the two VGW cards stopped processing for some reason.

Sorry the latest and greatest patch is CAM04 ... be sure to get that one cuz CAM03 only lasted a month ... still has some issues with VapiPassThru on the MGCs and we have even see PBXLinkReset (in our MGC logs).

@Tman45 -- CS1000 4.5 = no MGCs. MC32s or ITG-Ps only.

Check your ELAN cables and double-check the ELAN/TLAN adapter is secure. It could be a bad adapter.

BAH! I missed the 4.5 for some reason! Thank you for correcting me MagnaRGP. I agree check the adapter as we also have a 4.5 system where our MTU could be going bad.

You are correct the version 4.5 acts completely differently than the MCG cards within release 5.5 since it uses VGMC cards. I had a similar problem where I needed to enable each of the 32 voice channels one at a time. I also had the power supply go bad and at least for the 1000E needed to replace the entire media gateway cabinet since the power supplies can not be swapped out.

I found with these VGMC cards if you DISC the card, remove it from its slot, plug is back in and ENLC that location the channles came back up.

The above is via command line or ProComm.

You can also use element manager and complete the save and transfer and see if that takes care of it.

I suggest to change your switch port setting(ELAN)to speed 10mbps where in the VGMC is connected.

More power NORTEL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back