Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AGP Texture Acceleration in Win 2K

Status
Not open for further replies.

faust13

Programmer
Aug 7, 2001
US
Anybody know why AGP Texture Acceleration (DirectX) is not available in Windows 2000?

Is there anyway to enable it?

This option was available before I upgraded my OS from Win ME to Win 2K.

The MB and video are capable. ----------------------------------------
Is George Lucas Kidding...

Sorry experts, but I have the same problem. I'm using Win 2000 Pro, I'm pretty sure i have a pcchips m810 motherboard but Sandra says it's ECS (I'm pretty dumb so don't bag on me:) I have 640 MB of SDRAM, Chipset: SIS730 CPU to PCI bridge (?), My video card is an ATI Radeon 8500 64 Mb with catalyst 3.1, and rage 3dtweak. Do you need any other info? Any help would be awesome I've been on the boards all day and night trying to get some answers with no luck. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling but nothing works.

Hello,
This is jsut a theory but i have been testing it and I belive that you need to have fast writes enabled for the agp texture acceleration to be enabled. I have a radeon 9500 pro card and after all i tried, Reinstalling evrything ect.. nothing worked untill i enabled fast writes on the smart gart panel and i belive "atleast in my bios setup" that you should enable fast writes there too if you can.

Try to enable fast writes if you have them turned off and let us know if it works for you as well.

P.S. you dont need my system specs since my acceleration is working now but im using windows xp with no poblems what so ever.

I fixed it!!! I just downloaded the AGP driver for my motherboard from pcchips.com and reinstalled Cat 3.1 and now it works!! The only problem is, now that I can enable AGP Texture Acceleration I guess its putting too much strain on the card at stock frequencies (250/250) because now 3d games bomb after 5 mins of gameplay and 3Dmark01 wont even run. It just bombs and I have to restart my computer. Oh well, I'm pretty sure I just have a defective card so I'm sending it back for a new one. Hopefully the new OEM wont be clocked less than 230/230. Just as long as I got AGP to work, I'm happy.

Hi ppl im new in here but i got the answer 4 the agp texture acceleration problem cuz i had it too and solved it
Here's how: my system is an a7n8x asus MB with a v8460 ultra-deluxe vga (ti 4600)
my ATA got greyed out too the cause of problem 4me was tht the file: ALIAGP.SYS was missin so the vga was working at pci mode installin the latest nforce2 chipset driver of my MB from the nVIDIA got me my ATA back
its worth to mention tht the ALIAGP.SYS file is vital 4 vga to get rid of pci mode and also careless install and uninstallin of ur vga driver may cause this problem to show up again

god bless

peace

AGP Acceleration is not working. I'm running XP Pro, AMD 1.2, 1.GB ram, Geforce 2 mx400 AGP card 4.3.4.5 driver. ALI M15353d+ chipset, with 1.90 driver. I have tried removing eveything and re-loading. No help. Could you please provide me with some help? Mother board is a ESC K7AMA.

Thanks!!!!!!

Jufon

I Agree with donknow! I just upgraded my computer a week ago and got the same problem.

Athlon XP2000+
ECS-L7S7AA
SiS7460 chipset
USB 2.0
AGP up to 8x
GeForce4 MX440 DDR (AGP 4x with FastWrite)
256MB DDR333 (CL 2.5)

After I finished fixing my OS (ME - W2K) both system showed me the AGP status disabled (NVidia utility) and AGP Texture disabled (DXDiag). Then I download SiSAGP driver from ECS, after I installed, it all enabled and DXDiag runs fine.

But there is a weird thing I found. I use WCPUID and look into the chipset info.
AGP Spec revision 2.0: Enabled
Data rate: 4x (current use)
Fastwrite: supported, disabled (??)
4GB addressing: not supported, disabled (??)
Side Band Addressing (SBA): supported disabled (??)
Apperture size: 64MB

As you see there, AGP is enabled but not all the AGP function enabled. And I can feel on several game sometimes the graphics is slower than my old PC.
So I think the secret here is the AGP driver not the VGA driver.

OK first off i'm new here. I had the same problem as everyone else. AGP Texture Acceleration was listed as not available. I followed RAJLEPAPA's instructions from July 6, 2002 and then accordingly it was listed as enabled. This is when I noticed the problem. When I go to Shut Down the Standby option is greyed out (disabled). When I go to Power Options the hibernate tab is missing and under the advanced tab all i got is always show icon on taskbar and for when i press power button there is no standby option. It's almost as if there is no standby. I am running Windows XP Pro. I have an Asus A7A266-E mboard with ALiMagik M1647 chipset and an Nvidia 64MB Geforce 2 MX200. I don't know exactly when this problem popped up. In trying to solve the AGP Texture Acceleration issue I installed the latest Nvidia Detonator drivers (43.45) and the latest ALi Integrated Driver which includes version 1.91 of the AGP Driver. I also already had the latest Asus bios revision 1011. Can someone please assist me in figuring out why system standby has been disabled.

i had the same problem with agp texture acceleration in directx not being available
i have
mb=asus a7a266
pro=1.3ghz k7 thunderbird
ram=640mb ddr
graphic card=geforce4 mx440
os=xp pro
directx ver=9.0a
i had the same problem and this is how i fixed it. i had read all of the posts above and tried out what most of them said then i had an idea.
first i downloaded the newest version of ali miniport driver which is 1.90
then i reinstalled the driver that cam with my graphics card which is version 2.7.0.0 and when i restarted i had the option to turn AGP texture acceleration on. before all this i was looking around in bios can't remember what i changed it was in the chipset options though

ok , can sort this problem for A7A266 & A7A266-E motherboards.It's the AliM1647 platform that will not enable agp, unless you either use Nvidia drivers pre 27.xx ,(not much use when using directx9)or you add a new binary line in to your registry.I have added the new line in and for example: 3D mark 2001 has increased my score from 6.000+ to near 9.000 on 1024x768 settings.I have a 1.4 with G-Force 4 Ti-4600.I also found using driver 41.09 the best performer for the Ti card,with this fix.
here is the link for the fix, but if you not sure how to edit this in registry then say, I will clarify how you need to add the line in.

Okay, I got it working...only thing is I did several things at once so I'm not sure which did it - but here's what I did:

1. I did a search on the folder c:\windows\inf (c:\winnt\inf if running 2000/nt). I searched for files containing the word catalyst (because I have an ATI) and deleted what I found.

2. I uninstalled my video drivers via add/remove programs.

3. I opened device manager and uninstalled my display adapters.

4. I rebooted.

5. When windows found my new hardware it couldn't find a driver for it (because I deleted the .inf files) so it listed it as vga with an exclamation point.

6. I went to AMD's site and downloaded and installed this registry fix:
It says it's only for Windows 9x/Me/2000 and not for XP but I used it anyway (I'm running 2003 server).

7. I went to Microsoft's site and downloaded directx 9.0a (even though I already had it installed). I got it here:
It's very important you download directx from that link because we need all the files for the next step (the normal download installs dynamically and won't help us).

8. I extracted the directx files to a folder and then I right clicked each cab file and extracted it's contents to a folder also (don't do the one ending in 98 if you're on 2000 and don't do the one ending in xp if you're on 98). I then went through each folder and right clicked on every .inf file and chose install. If you get an error on any of them it probably means your in a folder meant for a different OS so just go to the next folder.

9. After that I clicked on the Directx setup.exe and reinstalled Directx rebooting when prompted.

10. I reinstalled my display drivers rebooting as prompted.

11. I ran dxdiag and agp texture acceleration was enabled.

Before doing these steps I tried maybe 15 times uninstalling/reinstalling my drivers and reinstalling directx - I really think it was clicking on all the .inf files that did it but I can't be sure. Please let me know if you try this if it works for you. My e-mail is nicholaspstaff@hotmail.com

Thanks,

Nick

Hey, just about 10mins ago i had this problem.
I did a few things that nickstaff did.
1) I searched for catalyst too (ati user you see), deleted all files in C:\windows\inf with catalyst in
2) Reinstalled drivers for graphics card
3) Applyed reg-patch

I downloaded the dx9 file, and was going to install each inf file manually, checked to see if what i had done so far worked, and it had :)
hope this helps all ye
PC Specs:
Mobo-Abit NF7
CPU-AMD 2500+ Barton
Ram-Corsiar 512mb 400mhz cl2
Graphics-PowerColor 9800pro

Hi, Faust13. I have a very strange problem. I can't turn on my agp textures. In video properties, my video board (AGP) is in PCI mode. (Why?) I have an Asus A7V-E, with VIA KT-133 AGP set. I think i'n not using the power of my GEforce2 MX400 64mb AGP because i'm running in PCI mode. I tried to use VIA 4in1 drivers, but no success. I tried everything in this forum, but nothing. I tried to update my BIOS, but it says: "unknown EEPROM type" Can you help me ?

Faust13, it's me again. I forgot to say that I have WINXP PRO and DirecX 9.0a. My processor is an 900mhz Athlon Thunderbird and I have 640 RAM. My Geforce is from PowerColor. (if this help something)

I had this problem and worked for days reinstalling drivers, using RivaTuner, messing with Net meeting, all to no avail. That was until I read hunted98 post about installing directx and the via4in1 drivers FIRST before the catalyst/detonator drivers. Thus, I:
1) Uninstalled the via 4in1 drivers i had by running the install program and chosing uninstall.
2) I uninstalled the drivers for my Radeon via Display Properties -> Settings -> Advanced -> Adapter -> Properties -> Uninstall
3) I restarted the computer, reinstalled DirectX 9 (for good measure.) Restarted. Installed the VIA 4in1 drivers. Restarted. Installed the ATI Catalyst drivers. I looked in dxdiag, and bam, it was there. : )

Incase you havent noticed, if you run teh card without drivers agp texture acceleration is enabled there, so obviously it has something to do with the later installed drivers conflicting. Have fun with your new power.

Hi all.

I had the same problem (couldn't enable AGP Texture Acceleration in DXDIAG).

My system:
Windows 2000 Professional
DirectX 9.0b
IWILL motherboard with ALi chipset
Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro GFX card

Just thought how I'd tell u how I fixed it (thanks to the peeps on this thread):

1. Install ALi AGP drivers, version 1.90. Then reboot.
2. Uninstall the GFX card (display adaptor) in Windows Device Manager. Reboot.
3. Reinstall the GFX card. Reboot.

This solved the problem - AGP Texture Acceleration is now enabled in DXDIAG. It appears that the order of driver installation is the key.
Note that I didn't touch the DirectX installation at all. The problem appears to be some kind of conflict between the AGP and GFX drivers.

Hope that helps.

Im wondering if someone can help me. I have an issue with a radeon 9700 pro card that USED to work on my system till I reformatted. I notice now that my Agp texture acceleration is grayed out as well.
I have the following specs.
A7a266 mobo with 1.4 amd athlon
Ati radeon 9700 pro
1 gig ddr 266
19 viewsonic lcd
The rest is pretty basic. I have done the following

Applied the motherboard upgrade v. 1.90 and even the via 4 in 1 chipset drivers . I have applied the agp drivers even tho the card worked before I put those in. I flashed my bios from version 1009 to 1012. I have tried both the newest catalyst drivers to the newest omega drivers. I have tried turning on and off fast write and lowering the agp settings in the bios. NO matter what I do I cant seem to get that agp texture up again. Can someone please help me this is the third time ive reformatted and its getting frustrating..

BIGNasty, have u tried uninstalling the Radeon card from Device Manager? It seems that the Catalyst drivers must be installed last, AFER any AGP drivers.

Go to Device Manager and uninstall the Radeon. Reboot - u will only have a 640x480 resolution when u reboot. Go back to Device Manager, open the Radeon properties, and go to the Driver tab. Reinstall the driver for the card, and then reboot.
That solved the problem for me. Try that, and post back your results.

Well I tried and tried and I still have agp texture acceleration grayed out in dxdiag. I have the 1647 chipset and I did everything that has been recommended even in the same order. what I did notice is that all those suggestions are mostly for nvidia cards but the card im having problems for are for ati cards. This is a 9700 pro im trying to install. I used rivatuner when I installed the geforce card and it worked but as soon as I put in the ati card it gets messed up.

Hi,

Just thought I would post, this thread was very helpful, here is my spec

Windows XP Pro
Asus P4P800
Leadtek GF4 4800SE (Latest Drivers)

I cured my problem by updating to the latest Bios using the supplied updating software.

Not amazingly technical I know, but posted to show it works.

To those (like I was) still frustrated and wondering if it is worth the bother, my bench mark test saw a 30%+ improvement so persevere.

Thanks guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back