Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AGP Texture Acceleration in Win 2K

Status
Not open for further replies.

faust13

Programmer
Aug 7, 2001
US
Anybody know why AGP Texture Acceleration (DirectX) is not available in Windows 2000?

Is there anyway to enable it?

This option was available before I upgraded my OS from Win ME to Win 2K.

The MB and video are capable. ----------------------------------------
Is George Lucas Kidding...

Dum me Thanx Dude.
Damn, so expensive to buy another one here in Argentina.
Would you boys buy a Geoforce for me :)
see ya .

Hey bisier. I've just been playing round trying to get AGP textures enabled to benchmark my vid card

Details
Gigabyte mobo
Radeon 9700 vid card

O/S - installed one after the other with HD wiped in between.
98 SE Unable to enable
W2k Unable to enable
XP Enabled

Looks like in my case its not bios but OS related. I might try ME tomorrow night (or I may go to the pub...)

RAJLEPAPA

Thanks dude you really helped me with my dam'n long problem since i first used winXP and 2k, thank you very much and more fraggin power to you.....

How can I enable the directX feature AGP Texture acceleration? It' greyed out and states..not available.

I have a ATI Radeon7000 64MB video card and ATI support told me this feature is supported...just, how do I do that?

Any ideas?
thanks

licher and all posters to this thread,

If you are going to post on this thread, please make sure to include what Mobo, chipset, video card, OS, and any other HW specs you wish to post you are having the issue with. We cannot troubleshoot without these essential pieces of information.
--------------------------------------
Noise Core: 7.62

Hi faust13

Problem again: AGP Texture Acceleration feature not available in DirectX.

Here my info..

I run win98SE/winXPpro (problem is the same on both),
Motherboard is from Compaq (OEM PC)

motherboard ID: <DMI>
motherboard Name: Compaq Compaq PC
Bus type: Intel GTL
Bus Width 64-bit
Real clock 100 MHz
Effective clock 100 MHz
Bandwidth 800 MB/s
product 0648h
Manufacturer Compaq
version none
serial number none

Chip-set is VIA VT8501 Apollo MVP4
CPU: AMD K6-2 500MHz

Video Card: ATI Radeon 7000 64MB/DDR (PCI)

I have all the latest drivers for all of these installed.
I used to have the AGP Acceleration feature with my built-in Video Card available.
Unfortunately I don't have an AGP Slot on my board, thats why I had to go for a PCI card and I believe this is the problem. I guess you can't enable that feature with an PCI Card.

licher,

You are correct. Texture Acceleration is only available on an AGP card.

Sorry. --------------------------------------

Hi faust13.
i need help with the AGP texture acceleration.

my configuration : AMD Duron 650MHz; Gygabite motherboard - GA7ZX-1; chipset VIA KT133 AGPset; ....
The problem i have also in win98SE and win2000pro

i install all latest drivers, but it doesnt work.

please help me

thanx

gerronimo,

Can you tell what video card you have installed? Have you installed the Via 4-in-1 drivers yet? --------------------------------------

Hello. My problem is that I have the AGP Textures Accelaration option unavailable in DXDiag. I had it available with my old motherboard QDI Brillian with the same video Card, an ATI RADEON 9000. But now with my new MB Aopen AX45-533 it is not available. I have the AGP Driver installed and the latest drivers of the Radeon.
My system:

P4 2GHZ in an AOPEN AX45-533
256 MB DDR 333 RAM
2 HD Seagate 60 GB 7200RPM
PowerColor Radeon 9000 Evil Commando
SB Live 5.1 Player
Windows 98 SE
DirectX 8.1

Please tell me if you know something to solve this problem, because if some game has to use more than 64 MB for textures it will run out of memory, because the video card will not be able to use system memory for the textures.

Best regards and thank you in advance.

DrJ76,

Do you know what chipset you are running? --------------------------------------
CDGoRound... Buy it, listen to it, trade it. Beautiful.

Hi I have the same problem,
I am running win xp corperate, I have an ati 9500 pro with directx 9 and catalyst 3.1
running on an asus a7v8x with the kt400 chipset
with an athlon xp 2000 processor
I have the latest 4in1 hyperion drivers. The agp is running at 8x, and the graphics apperature in bios is set at 64 right now.

One thing i should mention is that I dont think the diect3d is working for some reason, I can do the test in dxdiag it just freezes up and when i try to run a dicect 3d game like dungeon siege it gives me a black screen.
The thing is that dxdiag doesnt detect any problem with direct3d it jsut cant do the tests and agp texture acceleration is greyed out.

I hope ive posted enuff info about my system and that maybe someone can help me out.

Thanks

*UPDATE*
I am happy I just got it working about 10 min after i posted this.
I uninstalled the 4in1 drivers, and also the video card, then i reinstalled the 4in1 and restarted, the reinstalled the catalyst drivers and restarted, now everything works.
I suppose this might mean that there is an order of operations for installing drivers and things like this

HI
i did what Raj propose.. with riva tuner...
when i reboot , windows freeze on black screen and reboot
and i have to restore previous configuration...

geforce4 ti4600 driver 41.09
amd t-bird 1,2gh 512mb
asus a7a266 ( alimagik chipset)

any1 with this??

To Faust13:

Sorry, my Chipset is SIS645DX. I have installed the latest drivers for the AGP Port, Video Card.. but the AGP Texture is still not able in DXDiag. I am getting problems with some games. They run out of Texture memory and exit to desktop. When I configure them with 16 bit textures instead of 32 bits, they run fine, so I guess the problem is they are not able to use system memory to store textures, because of the Disable option.

Best regards and thank you.

DrJ76,

1. Go here, get the latest greatest drivers for your chipset:

2. Install them.

3. Reboot.

4. Go here and download the ATI drivers:

5. Install them.

6. Reboot.

You may need to install DX9, but don't unless you have to.
Please let the forum know if this works. --------------------------------------
CDGoRound... Buy it, listen to it, trade it. Beautiful.

Hello. My problem is very similar to DRJ76 in that I have the AGP Textures Accelaration option unavailable in DXDiag. Like him I have games crashing to the desk top, system hangs and running out of memory problems. I have the latest VIA Driver v4.4 installed. My system:

AMD Athlon 1.4GHZ in an Abit KT7-RAID
VIA VT8363 (KT-133)
AWARD BIOS 6.00 PG (6A6LMA19C-3R)
4 in 1 v4.38 as recommended on the Abit download site
1 GB DDR 333 RAM
2 HD IC35L 040-AVER 07-0 7200RPM
ASUS 8200 Geforce 3 64M
SB Live Platinum 5.1 Player
Windows ME
DirectX 9 (Had the same problems with 8.1)

This problem has been frustrating me for months so any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Oh also...I tried to replace the ASUS with a Creative 4600 Geforce 4 board a couple of months ago and this just wouldnt install..I tried 3 different ones!! Gave up!!!

Best regards and thank you in advance.

Thanks for all your answers Faust13. I have installed the latest sis AGP drivers and the omega drivers for my radeon and it still remains unavailable.

I guess I will have to upgrade to XP. I am going to try XP this afternoon with Virtual PC and see what happens. If the option turns available, then I will have to think if it is worthy for me to change my SO. I have a lot of hardware and it is currently running fine with W98SE, but I guess I will have some problems with WXP.

Best Regards and thank you, if you have any other idea...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back