Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

After-Hours Phone Line

shops12

Technical User
Sep 13, 2024
Hey everyone, New user here. My company uses Avaya and I'm in need of a solution for the following scenario. Can anyone help?

After-Hours Phone Line

Our team needs to answer after-hours calls, so the number would need to be accessible to different users on a rotating basis; however, this is subject to frequent, often last-minute changes. All users are office-based M-F with J179 desk phones and could make this selection from their desk phones during office hours.

Employees who need access to this number have desk phones with “EC500” enabled on their primary line to their work cell phones, and this ability needs to be maintained.
Ideally, all users would be able to have this after-hours phone number or extension "ring" to their desk phone during business hours with the ability to "push a button" to have the calls forwarded to their work cell phone. When one user forwards this number to their cell phone (the number on their enabled EC500), it will de-select it on any other user while keeping both users' EC500 enabled for their primary number and continue to ring on the desk phones.
Is this possible?

So everybody needs to get calls on their extension and hit their EC500 after hours for personal calls but there needs to be a separate configuration so that calls to a hunt group or other department number would go to just the one person that's on call and you want a button on each phone to activate that - as in, whoever's on call that night pushes the button on their phone before leaving?

And you wouldn't have to change who's on call between end of business and start of business the next day?

How many people in the group? How many groups to do it for? Could affect the approach...

What if:
Calls hit the group normally through a vdn/vector.
Have a global variable 1-3 for 3 people on call
If inside of business hours, do the normal thing
if out of business hours, go to step 10 if global variable = 1, 20 if variable = 2, 30 if variable = 3
Step 10 routes to Tom's extension that goes to his EC500, 20 to Dick's, 30 to Harry's.

Then you have a separate VDN/vector to set the variable. Collect 1 digit for global variable.
On Tom's phone, put an autodial to the VDN, pause, 1
On Dick's phone, put an autodial to the VDN, pause, 2
On Harry's phone, put an autodial to the VDN, pause, 3

Maybe give them each their own VDN with a PIN in there if you don't want anyone doing it by accident - collect 4 digits for PIN and if digits = PIN go to step X that sets the variable.

That's the first "off the top of my head" I came up with. Not sure what others think.

Your voicemail system may have the Find Me / Follow Me or similar feature that when the mailbox is called, will dial out to the specified number to announce the call.

Each person in the group has access to the mailbox to enter their mobile number as needed, allowing for flexibility and easy updates.

I've used this in the past and it's been pretty effective. I've also used VDNs and Vectors, but I put in a lot of announcements and functions to "say" who is currently programmed. It works, but if you already have similar functionality in voicemail, I'd go for that first.

So everybody needs to get calls on their extension and hit their EC500 after hours for personal calls but there needs to be a separate configuration so that calls to a hunt group or other department number would go to just the one person that's on call and you want a button on each phone to activate that - as in, whoever's on call that night pushes the button on their phone before leaving?

And you wouldn't have to change who's on call between end of business and start of business the next day?

How many people in the group? How many groups to do it for? Could affect the approach...

What if:
if out of business hours, go to step 10 if global variable = 1, 20 if variable = 2, 30 if variable = 3
Step 10 routes to Tom's extension that goes to his EC500, 20 to Dick's, 30 to Harry's.

Then you have a separate VDN/vector to set the variable. Collect 1 digit for global variable.
On Tom's phone, put an autodial to the VDN, pause, 1
On Dick's phone, put an autodial to the VDN, pause, 2
On Harry's phone, put an autodial to the VDN, pause, 3

Maybe give them each their own VDN with a PIN in there if you don't want anyone doing it by accident - collect 4 digits for PIN and if digits = PIN go to step X that sets the variable.

That's the first "off the top of my head" I came up with. Not sure what others think.
There are three employees currently who will need to be part of this. They all leave their EC500 enabled at all times.

There would be no need to change who is on call after regular business hours.

There are only three people in total. So, I'm assuming they could be all in one group.

If the user enables the VDN/Vector via "button press" on the J179 or J100EM, will the line still ring to all users' phones, or does that have to be disabled daily? For Example, if one person is "On-Call" for a two-week period, can the VDN/Vector remain enabled for them outside of business hours while ringing all users' desk phones during business hours?

Yeah. This part:

The treatment to look for the variable and only route to 1 person would only happen outside of hours defined in the main vector that routes them their calls

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back