Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advanced clients fail to find site code

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamwiz82

IS-IT--Management
Feb 12, 2002
I am having a hard time figuring out what is wrong with my SMS 2003 setup that clients will not automatically discover my site. If i push a client out, it installs, but it never assigns to the site as a client. If I go to the workstation and try to automatically discover the site, i get the following error:

automatic site code discovery was unsuccessful

If I type in my site code manually i works fine. I believe the site boundaries are fine, I believe, because in my collection, I can see that all of the workstations are assigned to the site, but are not clients. I read somewhere that this is because my roaming boundaries are wrong, so I setup up a local roaming boundary with the same subnet as my site boundary, but it did not help. Also, I have the SMS_SLP entry in my WINS database, but I am unsure if it is correct. It should be SMS_SLP[1ah], unfortunately, every time I input it, it comes up SMS_SLP[0ah]. Obviously I am not a WINS person, so I have just dabbled in it.

I originally had the clients set to auto discover the site using SMSSITECODE=AUTO. I have since tried SMSSITECODE=XXX but that also does not work.

Any suggestions? What am I missing?

One thing I forgot to mention, this is a WinNT4 SP6a domain, no active directory yet.

quote:
"Advanced clients fail to find site code" and
"One thing I forgot to mention, this is a WinNT4 SP6a domain, no active directory yet."

So, Advanced clients nedd Win2000, WinXP or Win2003 to function properly - Try to install a legacy-cleint for your NT 4.0-machines.

Cheers,
Chris

I should have been clearer. This is an NT4 Domain with Windows 2000 systems attached to it. I am attempting to install the adv. client on these machines.

Advanced client works well with Active Directory. I would install the legacy client. Advanced Client only takes advantage of the Roaming Boundries which you won't have in a NT4.0 enviroment.

Has this POST been rsolved by anyone? I am still haing the same issue and would like to know a resolution.
Again to recap this issue and mine.

SMS2003 deploytment
NT4 Domain
Advanced client cannot resolve Distribution point.

Thanks for any insight or help.

If Advanced clients do not function without AD, how can I remove the client and successfully re-install a legacy client for my 2k and XP machines until we move to AD?

Did you guys try adding in an entry to your WINS DB for the SMS locator point? Here is the detail that you need. This should take care of your site code for the clients.

Cheers,
Myk

To manually add the server locator point entry for SMS to WINS:

Go to a command prompt.
Type netsh, and then press ENTER.
At the netsh> prompt, type wins and then press ENTER.
At the wins> prompt, type server \\servername and then press ENTER.
Type in the following command at the wins server> prompt.

add name Name=SMS_SLP endchar=1A rectype=0 ip={static IP of your SLP} - Quotes must be included.

Check your WINS database for the SMS_SLP entry.

Under site settings, go to client installation methods, client push installation, advanced client tab. Replace the SMSSitecode=Auto with SMSSitecode="your site code here".
Another nifty addonn is SMSCACHESIZE="number of mB here"
to adjust the CCM Cache on install.

Has anybody pointed this out yet... Does the Wins server have to be 2K in this situation. Netsh is for 2k and does not function for NT4 WINS Servers. Or am out in left field here?

Should I be considering a 2K WINS Server?

Sorry I have not gotten back sooner. There is no solution as of yet, unfortunately.

The Windows NT version of netsh is winscl.exe, and I have tried adding entries in via this way, but without any success.

We may have to deal with legacy clients until we ungrade our NT DCs to Win2k and Active Directory.

I do believe I figured it out!!!

Ensure that the entries are in WINS is a given. If you are NOT in an AD, ensure that you have the Roaming boundaries setup in SMS configs.

I jumped out of my seat when the auto locate worked after I had set the local Roaming boundary in SMS.

I hope this resolves others as well.

hmmm... I have roaming boundaries set as 10.40.0.0. Did you do anything else recently?

DO you have 10.40.0.0 setup as LOCAL or REMOTE? Is 10.40.0.0 your default network?

When I set my default network in the roaming properties as LOCAL, everything began working.

site settings-client installation methods-client pus installation-advanced client tab, change the SMSSITECODE=default to SMSSITECODE=YOURSITECODE!
Then when you push it out, the will have the site code. Works every time baby

Festus Mcshamus, MCSE

Sorry Shamus, Thats not the problem here. Assigning a site code is simple matter with a manual client push. However, the automatic client discovery is the issue. Win2K systems in the LAN would not Automatically install the client without manual site push installations. If you were to push the client, and the attempt the autodiscover site code form the client, the discovery would fail.

I hope the resolution I found helps others.

Raading is a blessing... everyone should try it.. even MCSE's.

was the WIN issue every resolved? Use the Win Manager to make you change in th NT4 WIN Server ...

Setting the site code allows the PUSH ability to fuction without any issues, I agree, however without autodiscovery working properly, new clients will not be automatically assigned to your site.
"AUTO" in your sitecode specs, is designed mainly for multiple sites and boundaries. If you only have 1 site, there is no harm in setting up the sitecode=xxx

WINS cannot be setup using the GUI. It does not have the functionality needed to setup the proper parameters on the NT4 WINS server. Following the instructions for setting up the parameters is quite easy and straight forward.

GL all...

yes they will be automatically assigned to the site that you specify in the settings Eugene. just push the client and specify to use the configged settings. and unless you 're installing to a massive number of clients it shouldn't be that big of a deal. furthermore, you are missing the fact that this guy is running nt4 spk6 and he'll probably waste a lot of time trying to get it to work when my solution gets him back on track in minutes.
nothing worse than tools and fools like you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back