Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advanced clients fail to find site code

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamwiz82

IS-IT--Management
Feb 12, 2002
I am having a hard time figuring out what is wrong with my SMS 2003 setup that clients will not automatically discover my site. If i push a client out, it installs, but it never assigns to the site as a client. If I go to the workstation and try to automatically discover the site, i get the following error:

automatic site code discovery was unsuccessful

If I type in my site code manually i works fine. I believe the site boundaries are fine, I believe, because in my collection, I can see that all of the workstations are assigned to the site, but are not clients. I read somewhere that this is because my roaming boundaries are wrong, so I setup up a local roaming boundary with the same subnet as my site boundary, but it did not help. Also, I have the SMS_SLP entry in my WINS database, but I am unsure if it is correct. It should be SMS_SLP[1ah], unfortunately, every time I input it, it comes up SMS_SLP[0ah]. Obviously I am not a WINS person, so I have just dabbled in it.

I originally had the clients set to auto discover the site using SMSSITECODE=AUTO. I have since tried SMSSITECODE=XXX but that also does not work.

Any suggestions? What am I missing?

Festus,

You solution does not work. if you look at the original post, you will see that this is the last thing I tried before posting this to Tek-Tips.

Why say they will automatically be assigned to the site, AND then direct to PUSH the client? Thats not the point here.

Clients should NOT require a manual push of the client from the server or Admin console. That is the discussion at hand. iamwiz82 and others have been beating on this for awhile. If you are new to the admin world, pay better attention to the posts. They will be helpful when you come under the gun with actual problems.

In time, the SMSSITECODE should be set to AUTO if your network will include multiple zones. Festus obviously only has 1 zone, and pushing the client manually works for him. Admins with greater concerns will have to use more advanced techniques to assign site codes, especially within WANs and multi zoned networks.

GL imwiz, try the zone lableing in the admin console. I am sure you will get it going.

In the first place, my system works and I didn't almost jump out of the seat over something that should have worked in the first place if it was set up correctly. you are obviously an arrogant person who probably can't even get a girlfriend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back