Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding Win2K PRO Workstations to a Win2K domain 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

LATech

MIS
Aug 14, 2001
US
Hello,

This may be a bit lengthy, and I apologize beforehand.
I just came into my job here (a public school), and I need some help/advice. They orginally had a old Novell server running their Student Information software and accounting software and a Win NT 4.0 Server (at another location on campus) used as a student software (learning software) handler along with running WIN PROXY (DHCP) for the district's Internet access. I came aboard and and replaced their Novell server with a Win 2K Server. Afterwhich I had to go through and setup everyone that uses the Student Information software to connect to the Win 2K server with no probs. They all use Win 95/98 Workstations. I setup the Win 2K server as a domain/active directory. I have not had ANY problems setting up the Win 95/98 workstations (runs their login scripts and everything).....BUT, I just received about 40 new computers and had them put Win 2K Professional on them, and I cannot get them to connect correctly to the Win 2K Server. I have to set them up to connect to the Win 2K Server as a WORKGROUP, and NOT a domain....which is strange, cause the Win 2K Server IS setup as a domain controller. I then have to log onto the Win 2K PRO workstation and create an actual user account on the computer with the same login that is used for the Win 2K Server (and rename the computer to the login of the person that connects to the Win 2K Server) before it will connect....Even then, it will not ask for a domain login/password, it is just concerned about the computer's login/pass....after you login, you can go browse My Network and you will be in the workgroup (domain) as everyone else, and see all network resources. It did not load the login script from SYSVOL like it does for the Win 95/98 machines....it seems like it is not even logging onto the network, just uses the resources when it needs them (and you have to be logged onto that computer with the same computer name, as the login setup in AD). I have to physically map network drives through Win Explorer on each station....PLEASE HELP!!! what am I doing wrong? Do I have my Server/Workstations setup incorrectly? The deal is, the Win 2K PRO Workstations that I have to setup that do NOT use the Win 2K Server (put them on the domain of the Win NT 4.0 Server) work just fine.....they see the Win nt 4.0 domain AS a domain, but do not see the Win 2K Server as a domain. ANY IDEAS? Please help!!! :)

Thanks

Chris Nelson
Technology Coordinator
Little Axe Public Schools
Norman, OK

First What is the domain name. Second you must add the users onto the AD server using Active Directory Users and Computers. Once that is done you should be able to go to each PC and Add them to the network by going to the Network Idnetification Tab of the System Properties. Then click on the Properties button. Now from there clcik on the Domain Radio button and Type in the Domain name and hit ok. You will need an domain administrator account to do this.

Does this help? James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Hello, and thanks for your response....the name of the domain I created is LITTLE_AXE.
I have created all users/accounts using Active Directory...that part is setup correctly....Logins are just fine with Win 95/98 stations.
When setting up Win 2K stations, I click on the radio button for the domain, and point it to LITTLE_AXE, it says that it cannot find it (the domain) or it says something like it is not a domain. I choose the WORKGROUP radio button, and it lets me add the computer to the LITTLE_AXE workgroup (but not the domain LITTLE_AXE).
I will be waiting to hear from you, and thank you! :)

First before you can add the PC to the domain, you have to change the workgroup name. To something like TEST. Then once the orkgroup name has been changed then try to add the PC to the DOMAIN. Let me know what happens. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

so you are saying the domain and workgroup name cannot be the same? Where do I change the workgroup name on the server, and if so, will it change anything else other than the workgroup name?

Thanks again!

You do not have to change anything on the server. They cannot be the same on the workstations when tryin to add them to the domain. Change the workstations workgroup name then add the workstation to the domain. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

Hello again,

I now understand what you are saying.
However, there is still one little issue....in Win 2K Pro when setting up the domain/workgroup, it only gives you the option to setup as a workgroup OR a domain.....if i change the workgroup name and set it up on WORKGROUP, it will not be logging onto the LITTLE_AXE domain. If I try to set it up on the LITTLE_AXE domain, it will not accept the LITTLE_AXE domain as a domain (even though the Win 95/98 machines do).
What I am trying to accomplish is setting up the Win 2K Pro stations to log into the domain LITTLE_AXE (to run scripts to map drives, etc.) whenever they initially log onto the computer, and this isn't hapenning :-(
Thanks again, and I will be waiting for your response.

Chris Nelson
Technology Coordinator

So what you are saying is once you change the WORKGROUP name to WORKGROUP and then tey to add your PC to the LITTLE_AXE Domain it comes up with an error stating it cannot find the domain correct? Does the PC have a valid user account on the DC? Are you logged on with a valid account? or are you logged on as Local Admin? James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

Yes, yes, yes, and yes :)
All of the above is in fact true and correct.
I just got finished setting up 2 more Win 2K PRO workstations, and tried to set them up on the LITTLE_AXE DOMAIN, and it says something like "invalid network path" or something.....almost like it is not recognizing it as a DOMAIN....however, I CAN set them up on the LITTLE_AXE WORKGROUP and it has complete access to the appropriate user's directories, yet it does not run a login script or anything that I have setup for it in the SYSVOL like the WIn 95/98 machines PROUDLY run :-(

Thanks again!

Chris Nelson
Technology Coordinator

Are you running a Native Mode Active Directory or a Mixed mode? James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

I have it running mixed (due to the NT 4.0 Server)

Chris Nelson
Technology Coordinator

Have you tried adding the PC name in ACTIVE DIRECTORY USERS AND COMPUTERS? Its a long shot but who knows. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

Thanks, I will try it Monday, and I will let you know.

Thanks!

Chris Nelson
Technology Coordinator

Forgive me for asking the obvious, but are you typing in the correct domain name? An AD domain CANNOT contain an underscore "_", in it’s name.

Mike

i'm encountering the similar problem
as you do.

i have same problem when i'm trying
to setup additional domain controller.
The brand new Adv. Server just won't
recognize the domain name even though
it succefully access the DC through
mapping, run "\\servername", seracrh
"computer name" .... And the DNS
setting on NC is also pointed to DC.

i'm now suspecting somehow my DNS
on DC has been corrupted

Can someone out there solve our puzzle plz @@

Thanks in Advance!

tony

well, lol...that maybe the problem then! yes, the name of my domain is LITTLE_AXE,,,,,are you positive it cannot contain an underscore (_)?
I feel like such a dope if that is the case, and now I have about 100 computers to change :-( <<<sighs.
Wish there were a script that I could run from the server to change all the workstation's domain logins :-(

THANKS!

Chris Nelson
Technology Coordinator

LATech

That is correct, I dont know why I did not notice. Change the name and it should work. Let us know if you need help. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

You know I forgot to ask when you put the domain name on the pro machine to add it to the domain are you leaving off the .com? If not you should try that. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

yes, I was leaving off the .com
The Win 2000 Server does not have a .com name that I am aware of....our Internet hosting server is another server (Win NT 4.0 running WIN Proxy).

Ok just making sure. AD can be a big pain.

James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back