Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding Win2K PRO Workstations to a Win2K domain 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

LATech

MIS
Aug 14, 2001
US
Hello,

This may be a bit lengthy, and I apologize beforehand.
I just came into my job here (a public school), and I need some help/advice. They orginally had a old Novell server running their Student Information software and accounting software and a Win NT 4.0 Server (at another location on campus) used as a student software (learning software) handler along with running WIN PROXY (DHCP) for the district's Internet access. I came aboard and and replaced their Novell server with a Win 2K Server. Afterwhich I had to go through and setup everyone that uses the Student Information software to connect to the Win 2K server with no probs. They all use Win 95/98 Workstations. I setup the Win 2K server as a domain/active directory. I have not had ANY problems setting up the Win 95/98 workstations (runs their login scripts and everything).....BUT, I just received about 40 new computers and had them put Win 2K Professional on them, and I cannot get them to connect correctly to the Win 2K Server. I have to set them up to connect to the Win 2K Server as a WORKGROUP, and NOT a domain....which is strange, cause the Win 2K Server IS setup as a domain controller. I then have to log onto the Win 2K PRO workstation and create an actual user account on the computer with the same login that is used for the Win 2K Server (and rename the computer to the login of the person that connects to the Win 2K Server) before it will connect....Even then, it will not ask for a domain login/password, it is just concerned about the computer's login/pass....after you login, you can go browse My Network and you will be in the workgroup (domain) as everyone else, and see all network resources. It did not load the login script from SYSVOL like it does for the Win 95/98 machines....it seems like it is not even logging onto the network, just uses the resources when it needs them (and you have to be logged onto that computer with the same computer name, as the login setup in AD). I have to physically map network drives through Win Explorer on each station....PLEASE HELP!!! what am I doing wrong? Do I have my Server/Workstations setup incorrectly? The deal is, the Win 2K PRO Workstations that I have to setup that do NOT use the Win 2K Server (put them on the domain of the Win NT 4.0 Server) work just fine.....they see the Win nt 4.0 domain AS a domain, but do not see the Win 2K Server as a domain. ANY IDEAS? Please help!!! :)

Thanks

Chris Nelson
Technology Coordinator
Little Axe Public Schools
Norman, OK

so is the process of "blowing away" AD a chore? Or is it just a matter of going through the wizard and making it a domain without AD? I could keep my same domain name that way, correct? that way I will not be making 150 trips to workstations? :)

Thanks,

Chris Nelson
Technology Coordinator

Just run DCPROMO and demote the AD Server. You should not have to reinstall win2K. I have not demoted a server yet> I will try it when I get home (I have a Win2K AD domain at home) and let you know how it goes. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

I do not suggest that you upgrade the NT 4.0 server that is a nightmare.

What i suggest is go out and buy two hard drives. One for the W2K server the other is for the NT 4.0 server.

The reason i suggest this is if it blows up in your face it is very easy to go back .

Remove the W2K machines out of the old domain or workgroup name it something Different like (KILL-GATES)

Stick the hardrives in each machine set the harddrives Primary Master and Install the OS on the hardrive. Take the Old hardrives out and so you have no chance of damageing the data.

Make sure you install DNS, DHCP on the W2K sever you configure first.

Start from scratch it is the easiest thing for you and let the wizards do the work for you.

Then let the active directory setup do it's magic black box stuff.

Then rejoin the domain Little_AXE, this will automaticly add the computer accounts.

then add the users into the Active Directory.

then stick the old drives back in and redo the shares.

Important note normaly you would not stick Win9X machines in the same Workgroup/Domain. That means Namespace. this can cause all kind of problems with who is the Master Browser. At times this can crash an NT PDC or W2K server

I would suggest you wait for Let say Thanksgiving or Christmas.

This is not a 3 day weekend job unless you have help.

do you have help?
Meaning do you have help that is experenced.

Sorry to say this bite the bullet, start from scratch.

It the simplest thing.

LOL....thanks for the advice man.....phew, I have a job ahead of me :-( and nope, no other help that is reliable or knowledgable enough.
Guess I will just deal with what I have until the kiddos fall break or something. Thanks for everything!

Oh, and James, let me know how yours works at home, would be kinda interesting to find out!

Chris Nelson
Technology Coordinator

No problem Will let you know. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Make sure, the workstations can resolve the computername of the domain-controller with DNS or WINS.

Try to insert the neccessary lines in the HOSTS and LMHOSTS files on your W2K-workstations.

For the LMHOSTS-file try something like this:
Server-IP Server-name #PRE #DOM:LITTLE_AXE

note: the existing lmhosts.sam-file is only a sample file which is ignored from the system

the files are located at %SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC

Hi GUys I have been reading up what you've been laying down and I had the exact same problem, but in my case I solved it. Heres the run down School District Gowanda we get our DNS number from Wnyric an outside company. Our ip addresses are handed out by DHCP on a different Server then the PDC I was and have setup. All Win2000 Prof machines and one Wink2k Server. I wanted to create a domain locally for users to authenticate to. I went throught the active directory wizard for the name of the Domain was Gownada.local...then later on it asked me about the dns stuff well...the Wnyric DNS is Bindary and the active Directory DNS is different so they don't talk well with each other, anyways it came to a point where it said can't find DNS name BLAH BLAH BLAH I selected continue then it asked me if I want windows to install and configure the DNS part itself or No I will install and configure the DNS myslef, I select the 2nd option. That is where I think the problem was I had been selecting the first option and when the machines went out it didn't exist. Finally I was able to go to a local machine and in the domain field instead of typing gowanda.local you leave off the .local part and just enter Gowanda and sure enough about 3 min later walla I was in my little Domain. Finally after 4 days of Docs and calls I figured it out I hope this helps you out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back