Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding subform-like data without updating DB

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpolony

Programmer
Aug 9, 2003
US
I'm trying to come up with a solution where users can add/edit rows of data in memory only (the "many" part of a 1-to-many relationship, for example adding/editing several orders for a single customer), so that if they want to cancel, changes will not go to the database. I thought a listbox could work, although other suggestions are welcome. I couldn't figure it out with a linked subform, as updates always occur automatically as you move to each record.

After populating the listbox initially from a query of db data, I would like users to be able to go to an add/update panel, the results of which would then be updated/appended to the list box, without actually saving to the DB. Is there any way to update a multi-column list box manually this way (also deleting rows)? I would then need to be able to iterate back through the list to do the actual updates/additions that would be flagged and indicated as part of the list box's hidden row data.

Maybe I'm making this too complicated, but I just don't know how to get these multiple-row changes/updates to be reversible. I don't know if recordsets are the answer, but I only know the basics of recordsets (opening, moving within them, etc), and I thought that updates to them also go to the DB as you go along.

Thanks for any advice.

tpolony

Great question!

Would an array (or arrays) work?

It may be a bit tricky, but get the array to emmulate your record set. Then if approved / confirmed, loop through the array to write to the table or tables.

I am not sure what your needs are, but arrays have to dimmed to a certain size. If you are not expecting a lot records, this may not be an issue. However, the neet thing about Access and arrays is that they can also be created / "dimmed" / redimmed and preserve your data.

I do see three possible draw backs -- if your code requires a control number of some sort, you may not be able to get easy access to it until after the update; I have never used an array with a combo or list box; I have found arrays and continuous forms to be a pain in the butt. It alsmost seems that you have to fake a continuous form by using fixed fields in a single page form, and use command buttons to advance or move back your position in the array (current 10 records, previous and next ten record)

Good luck
Richard

Thanks for the suggestion. I will either try the "fake continuous form" approach as a popup panel, or I can try the array with a list box. I could figure out how to use the convoluted routine that allows you to populate a list box from a function (a new challenge), with the function reading an array that is populated from a recordset. Then when the user updates the list box via data entry panel, the array is updated and the list box is reloaded from the array. Tedious either way. I should figure out which one is less work! Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back