Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding remote 0x16 to Mics

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxtek

Technical User
Oct 6, 2005
BB
Hey guys. I have a customer who currently has a Mics with only 40 phones on it in the main building. They have another building 800 Feet away and would like to extend the pbx to the new building. I had asked this question months ago in this thread thread799-1366239 but it has been locked. The customer is now ready to expand and i will be meeting with them tomorrow to discuss their options. So far this is the best idea i have:

Run fibre between the buildings and place the 0X16 in the new building.

The question i have about that, is that i have never dealt wih connecting fiber to a norstar before and am wondering how the connection is done. The other question is, being that it is only 800 feet away, is it neccessary to utilize MCK module extenders such as the ones found in this link
That's it for now and look forward to hearing what you guys have to say on this.

Yes, utilize the fiber and use the MCK module extenders. That would be my suggestion.

So do you need to use the MCK module extenders even if it is only 800 feet apart? Also, is there any other hardware i would need?

Are you overthinking this? I would just run 800 feet of 25 pair cat3 tie cable. Use 16 pairs for the extensions of your new 0x16 and you have some pairs left for fax or whatever. Probably cheapest and easiest if you have room in the conduit.

I met with the customer today. they want to use the fiber. I will need to order MCK module extenders, but i can't seem to find a price on the net, can someone give me a general price range at what i'm looking at? I will call my supplier but from the looks of it, they may not carry them.

Ok i got the price but i still have a question (about $1000). My understanding is that the mck extenders are used to allow the signal to travel a certain distance. But if the distance (in my case 800 feet) is not too long, then do i still need the extenders?

Rikrogers. I take it "Yes", means that i need the MCK extenders.

I would definately also suggest you put battery backups on both ends or you will end up doing manual resets on power failures/hits.

----------------------------
JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

2 options - (compiled from the replies above)

Put the 0x16 locally - right next to the MICS - run copper cable 800 feet, and use extensions in the remote building (use all protections for outside cable)

use module extenders with MM fiber between the 2 offices, 0x16 in remote site

And definitely follow jerry's suggestion- a battery backup will save you a lot of petty service calls to reset the remote station mod.

Thanks guys. One other question. For the fiber, i need to let the guys who are running the fiber know what type of connectors i need them to put on the ends to that i can plug into the mck extenders. What type of connectors should i tell them to prepare?

The MCK extenders use multimode ST connectors. (the round ones.)

To be done correctly, the fiber should be terminated in a patch panel. I prefer SC connectors in the panel, but any will do. Then use fiber patch cords to extend to the modules- ST to whatever's in the panel.

On a technical note, make sure the installers test the fiber, and give you dB loss per strand.

I've seen a lot of sloppy fiber work, and I hate to see a customer suffer because of poor installs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back