Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding Elements to Avaya Element Manager via Summary.xml file

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomen00

Technical User
Jan 31, 2006
US
After adding elements to Element Manager, the program creates an xml file called summary.xml located in the following directory - (if you used the default settings)

C:\Program Files\Nortel\BCM\BCMElementManager\bin\access

We have several different customers that are now deploying either BCM400 4.0 systems or BCM50 systems. Each customer is supplying us with a different summary.xml file with all of their sites pre-loaded. I am wondering if anybody knows of a way to either load multiple summary.xml files into element manager at the same time - or - edit the file to manually combine the information. I have been trying to edit it but it does not appear to be a standard xml file as none of the xml editors I have tried are able to open it correctly. I am sure it is somewhat 'Nortel proprietary'. Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated...

As you wrote the xml files that the BEM generates appear to be in a proprietary format. XML should be readable by any text editor, but the summary.xml that you referenced shows nothing but gibberish when I open it in Notepad, and it won't open at all with XML-Notepad. Perhaps it's encrypted, but that aside, I don't think there's anyway to edit these files as you'd like.

Brian Cox
Georgia Telephone

Does it look like it's in Chinese?

I was thinking the forum had a glitch as this is an exact post from 11 years ago.

Add me to LinkedIN

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

curlycord - yes it is the same post! That's why it sounds so outdated. I never had any replies to it 11 years ago and thought I'd give it another try.

Thanks

Ok thanks.

The obvious would be sensitive logins need to be hidden.

-With Notepad I have Chinese text, verified by copying some characters to google translator
-I tried Encoding and Recoding with every option given in the list
-I tried Win XP and it showed in notepad with all characters as squares but when copied to Win10 is shows back to Chinese characters

I think it's a dead end unless there is some encoder platform out there.

Add me to LinkedIN

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

curlycord - I kind of figured but thought I'd try! When you have hundreds of sites to make IP changes to it would be a lot easier to edit the text! Thanks for the reply.

I'd say it's clear that the file is not an XML file. My personal guess would be that it is a compressed XML. The question is what compression is actually used. This could be most likely determined from the file signature (the first few bytes of the file). If it is a compressed file and if you figure out what compression was used, changing the extension from xml to the correct one could expose the contents (which would be - again my guess - one or more XML files).

If you post the first 16 or 32 bytes displayed using hexdump or shown in a hex editor, you could get some suggestions about what the file format might be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back