Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Add/Remove Programs is EMPTY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

usp004

ISP
Jul 10, 2000
US
I recently installed a Creative Labs CD/RW and a USB card to my home built Pentium II - 333 PC. I am running WIN 98-SE as my OS.

After installing the hardware I noticed that when I goto START->SETTINGS->CONTROL PANEL->ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS ..... there is NOTHING listed here. If I wish to uninstall a program... I am unable to do so since NOTHIGN is listed in the ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS list?

Does someone know how I can get this list populated again?

Thanks. [sig][/sig]

well that list only contains links to the actual unisntallers themselves (in most cases) many of the programs will have thier own installer if you look in their folder, you could resort to using Norton CleanSweep or something like that, but if that list is gone(and yer not in a different user profile) I think it's gone for good. [sig]<p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.com>kb244@kb244.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>
[/sig]

This is a shortcut page for uninstalling programs. There are other ways of taking stuff out by deleting files and icons, and even editing the registry. But before you try any of that , try reinstalling the programs. Normally they reinstall over the previous one, especially if you are doing a standard install. Once the program is installed it usually can be removed. But you are also at some risk if the original install wasn't done the same way.
Probably better for you to start back at square one, reformatting, and reinstalling everything. But &quot;DOCUMENT&quot; the installation all the way from BIOS settings to install sequence so you have something to fall back on if you have to do it again. [sig]<p>Ed Fair<br><a href=mailto: efair@atlnet.com> efair@atlnet.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. <br>
Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.<br>
[/sig]

What programs do you have that ARENT in the list. Sometimes some programs dont end up in the list. My advice is, if it aint broker dont fix it.

If there is a program you need to uninstall, and it doesnt have ITS OWN uninstaller listed under PROGRAMS, get a good uninstaller like Nortons. No need to reformat. [sig][/sig]

Actually NO PROGRAMS are in the list. I assume I should purchase one of these NORTON's products to fix this mess huh? [sig][/sig]

you could try adding tweakui from the win98CD,
it is helpful at restoring these sorts of gliches many times, ( outside of what has been said about the programs not being listed on purpose )

i have recovered default desktop icons, setting, etc with it.

sometimes just installing it restores the settings

it does include options for editing the add/remove list, so it will likely have the option you need.

hope this helps! [sig][/sig]

Before you go and buy a Norton uninstaller....

Remember that the applet in Control Panel is ADD/Remove programs. I would try using the 'ADD' feature to install something/anything. If after this you don't have a listing for this program to be uninstalled, then I would belive that something happend during your install of Win98se or during the install of your new hardware, etc. If this IS the case then you could have other issues that you haven't discovered yet. I would suggest reinstalling Win98 with your new hardware, so that Windows can 'discover' it. If this is NOT the case and a listing to 'uninstall' the program shows up then I would continue using the 'ADD(install)' feature and reinstall your software and this should let you 'uninstall' whatever it is that you want to remove.

I hope this helps.
Peace

I believe the writer is talking about software programs not showing up in the software remove window. Hardware does not show up in that window. Why go through the effort of reinstalling w98. [sig][/sig]

Yes kjonnnnn. The software programs are not showing up in the add/remove Programs dialog box.

Thanks! [sig][/sig]

I found this is in TECHNET...

Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.

Locate the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
Click the folder of the program that has more than 63 characters in the title, right-click DisplayName, and then click Modify.

In the Value data box, type a name with less than 63 characters, and then click OK.

If the program's uninstall key name is longer than 63 characters, shorten it also. For example, the following key name is too long:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall1234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234
Quit Registry Editor.

[sig][/sig]

Its worth a shot. I'll try it. Thanks!- [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back