Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Add CLI admin users to SM, SBCE, SMGR

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjm23

Technical User
Jul 1, 2020
PH
Hi Experts, is it possible to add CLI/Linux admin users on SM, SBCE and SMGR other than default/initial ones? I can't seem to find a documentation that teaches how do to so.

Yes it is possible, however not exactly a supported Avaya method for SM and SBC.

SM the user will have issues running some commands unless they are in all the correct groups, some commands are only tied to the cust account as I remember.
In SBC you will have similiar issues. In SMGR you can do this through the GUI, and will need to allow the user administrative and CLI permissions. You will also need root access to SM and SMGR to do this. If installed by a vendor most likely you will not have root since Avaya requires a waiver to enable root on most devices now.

It's not great to have to give out the cust credentials when security guidelines for places require the use of named accounts. I created named accounts in SBC and had to put them in appropriate groups for commands to work. Not supported by Avaya, but possible to do.

I did this on a CMS as I was tired of someone who kept doing this:

# passwd

Rather then this

# passwd userID

So I did this.

# useradd root2
# vi /etc/passwd
Make root2 look like this. (In your case you probably want to copy cust or admin)
root2:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
# passwd root2

Now I dont need to call Avaya when my root password gets messed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back