Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ActiveX Document Can't be viewed from another machine 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AERO

Programmer
Aug 25, 2000
SE
I have compiled an ActiveX Document dll for internet distribution and put all three files (doc.vbd, doc.dll, project.cab) on our webserver together with a .html page in which there is an object tag and a link to the .vbd file.
The problem is, when I access this page from my own machine on which I developed this document, there's no problem. I can write links like " and view my ActiveX Document. But when I move to another machine on the same intranet and write the same address, I get a pop up asking me whether I want to download this vbd file or open it there. And when I choose open it there, it just comes up with a list of programs. Headache, headache!
Anyone knows how to solve this problem??

Hey Guys ,

iam facing same problem to run .vbd file on client machine.
please give me some solution.
I tried lot but it did't work.

Steps I followed.
1)I created a ActiveX docuemnt exe.
a simple document which shows message on button click.
No database connectivity.

2)I compiled and then created a package,support files into
webserver root directory.

3)Then I executed the .htm file by just clicking its working fine.

4)But when I gave a serve path its showing me download dialog box and nothing happens..vbd file gets down load but I am anable to execute.

So please give me solution

Thanks
Dhananjay

One problem I had with this was that I was testing my controls on machines where I wasn't an Admin. The control would download, but not install. Once I made myself an Admin, it seemed to work fine. Not saying this is the answer, just a possibility. Thanks
John

johnmc@mvmills.com

I don't know if this helps anyone, but I had the same problem with the download dialog box and not able to download the .cab. I changed security settings in IE to low but I was still having the same problem. Not only did I have to set security to low but I also had to customize them. The option "Download unsigned ActiveX Controls" was still set to "Disable" and I changed it to "Prompt". I can now download the .cab files.

Two people who have used my version of ActiveX control(.ocx) have reported a strange problem where the recorder does not fit in the box on the web page. The right side and bottom of the user interface are cut off. Also, the elements appear slightly larger than they should be. The last user that had this problem was running 1024x768 at true color, so I don't think it's his screen settings.

Have you ever seen this problem or have any suggestions how I might be able to fix it?

Thanks,

Hey i m having this problem only on my win 2k machines. Under windows 95, the page loads correctly but under 2k it asks me to save the file. The security settings are correct. Can anyone help me

In windows explorer file type check the settings on the VBD file type there is an option there

Confirm Open after Download

Make sure that this is not selected.

Package And Deployment Wizard in Vb6 sp5 has a serious bug.
To recreate:
1) Create an activex-document dll application
2) Add a few userdocuments
3) Compile from vb
4) Use package and deployment wizard to create an internet setup (cab).
5) Look in the folder created by pdcmdln
- The .vbd files are larger than your original .vbd files
located in the project folder.
- The .vbd files does not work
- Often some of them is missing.

Solution:
Use pdcmdln to make a cab package, copy the .vbd files from your project folder to your distribution folder and edit the html-file(uncomment the clsid-parts).

-OleBrumm

I installed visual basic at the server and my activex program can now play at all computers. Of course the user has to change the Internet Explorer security setting for intranet (my application runs on intranet) to Medium-Low to be able to use the program.

Hey Folks,

I was working on this issue for a while and finally I think I did it and wanted to share it with you..

Steps:

1. VB with sp6 is required
2. In case using data access install every client machine mdac7
3. (Important!)During the Packaging process CLEAR the dlls which are already exist in windows system folder such as wininet.dll, msado15.dll, msado25.tlb etc.

You can verify that they are already exist in client computer by searching it from the start menu in a CLEAN (VB not installed) computer.

I realize that the problem is while explorer is installing dll's from the cab, it can not jump another dll when it encounters a dll that exists; instead it gives the stupid download error.

If you still have difficulties email me...

When it comes time to place your AXD on a Web server, you will find that there are three files you need to work with. Obviously, you need to place your application's EXE file on the server. You will also need to put the VBD file on the server. You would think that you could just point your browser at that VBD file to fire up the AXD. You would, however, be wrong. You actually need to run some HTML with some embedded scripting code to launch your application. This is what it looks like:
<HTML>
<OBJECT ID=&quot;frmLoan&quot;
CLASSID=&quot;CLSID:75AE0FB2-CD8D-11D0-BD4B-0080C80D0C83&quot;
CODEBASE=&quot;loancalc.cab#version=1,0,0,0&quot;>
</OBJECT>

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE=&quot;VBScript&quot;>
Sub Window_OnLoad
Document.Open
Document.Write &quot;<FRAMESET>&quot;
Document.Write &quot;<FRAME SRC=&quot;&quot;frmloan.vbd&quot;&quot;>&quot;
Document.Write &quot;</FRAMESET>&quot;
Document.Close
End Sub
</SCRIPT>
</HTML>
What is happening here is that the HTML is instantiating an object - the loan calculator, and then immediately opening the VBD file. If it seems rather roundabout, that's because it is.
OK, so how do you in fact deploy an AXD? Would it surprise you if I said you used a Wizard? You run the Application Setup Wizard (a separate program launched from the start menu) and it will create a .CAB file for you. This CAB file contains your EXE and any required support files. It also contains references to other CAB files that can be used to install common components such as the VB5 runtime. By default, these are downloaded from but, for an intranet deployment you can specify an alternate location that these support CABS can be downloaded from.
You would place a file with HTML similar to that shown above on the server (just make sure that the path to the CAB file is correct) and always link to that file, NOT to the VBD file directly.

Hello All
I have also the same problem
I've created an EXE ActiveX document and made the internet Package with the Package and deployment Wizard and put it on ther webserver. In Windows98 computers worked just fine, but on the Windows2000 Computers didn't work. It asks me to save the vbd file.

I've also created a Dep file and this was the content:
Uses1=Msvbvm60.dll
Uses2=OLEAUT32.DLL
Uses3=OLEPRO32.DLL
Uses4=ASYCFILT.DLL
Uses5=STDOLE2.TLB
Uses6=COMCAT.DLL
Uses7=MyDll.dll
Uses8=msado15.dll
Uses9=MSBIND.DLL
Uses10=tabctl32.ocx
Uses11=MSDATGRD.OCX
Uses12=MSADODC.OCX
Uses13=AUTPRX32.DLL
Uses14=AUTMGR32.EXE
Uses15=RACMGR32.EXE

Mydll.dll is a dll that i created.
If the client computer hasn't gos one of these installed.... the cab file will install isn't it?...

I have put the security settings on low..... but it also doesn't work....

What can it be?
please help me. Answer me to joaquimsoares@hotmail.com

Thanks a lot

hi,
I am afacing the same problem.

i have made a huje project activex document dll which is having 70 vbd files and 10 forms.

i have completed the project.

but unfortunately while testing on the client macchine

i am totally collapsed.

earlier it was working fine with windows nt4 server and nt4 workstation.

but with windows2000 server and windows2000 client

i am unable to find the solution.

i have tried all the tricks which has beeen given to me.

but no use

pppppplllleeeeeaaase help me

AXD Developers:
First, you MUST sign the .CAB file. See
Second, if your app uses ADO or DAO and requires any of the following files:
MSDAOSP.dll
MSADO15.dll
MSADCF.dll
ODBC32.dll
MSADOR15.dll
MSADCO.dll
you should allow the PDW to take the default and download the file from Microsoft. In VB6, you take the default indicated by &quot;Download from Microsoft Web site&quot;. See
Third, ensure the app does not abend! Any little thing seems to cause the download and install to fail. For me this meant making certain the database was correctly defined on the server as an ODBC datasource.

I am using VB6 sp5. For testing I use Personal Web Server and share my folder. Using PDW, I build the package to my temp folder, sign the CAB file, then use PDW to deploy the CAB, HTM, and VBD files to a folder under my folder. When testing is complete I move the file to our production server folder.

Hi All,
A real mess of solutions....
My problem is i am facing the same errors of open with or save to the disk for the vbd file.My development machine is windows 2000 and i have vb 6 installed on it.Now when i try access the application from the cleint machine i used to get the above message(open with or save to the disk).Then i tried deleting the .vbd registry entry from the client's machine and it worked .But then still on some windows 2000 machine even if delete the registry entry of .vbd then also it prompts for the same.I even have tried some of the above solutions like registering the dll,making the IE security level low and doing custom setting of IE but then also it doesn't work.

Could any body tell me what the actual problem is and what
is the solution for above .If i look at the solutions on sites they are many and really don't know which solution to follow.Can any body tell me the exact steps which i should follow.....

Actually i have already started the production implemetation
and i am getting this prompt on some of the machine.

Would really appreciate if any body would help out fast .....

Any information and solution on this is welcomed......

Thanking in advance.

Giday all,

My clients have been using my VBD files for several months now and here are a couple of pointers if it helps.

1. The VBD files only work with IE5.5 or greater
2. In the CAB files, don't package up: MDAC files, XML Parser Files or the msvcrt.dll (always had probs with that one?)
3. If you are using the ADODB.Stream object in MDAC, ensure that the user installs MDAC2.5 as a minimum. Use Comcheck to verify this:

If you are using the XML parser, here is a usful link to determin it's minimum requirements:

Anyway, hope it help someone out there.... :)

See ya mate!

Hi All,

Sorry for chiming in late here. But, many of you describe what I've learned to be &quot;code download&quot; errors.

[ol][ul]Here's an article by Microsoft that helps identify just what went wrong with the download -
Code:
[URL unfurl="true"]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q252937[/URL]
[/ul]
[ul]Here's an article that describes how to resolve most of the problems -
Code:
[URL unfurl="true"]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q167380[/URL]
[/ul]
[/ol]

Also, if the user is using IE with the latest security patches, they'll always get an &quot;Open/Save&quot; box. This is significantly different from the &quot;Open With&quot; dialog box. The latter being a tale-tale sign that something's definitely wrong.

We used to have nightmares due to ActiveX documents. But, they're the only way we felt comfortable with &quot;deploying&quot; our apps. Now we very seldom have a problem.

HTH,
MapMan [americanflag]

Assume nothing, question everything, be explicit not implicit, and you'll always be covered.

Hello all,

I have tried almost all of the suggestions posted here (& many many others)to solve the problem: the AXD downloading works on my dev computer, but not on the other machines.It gives me the Open/Save prompt instead of downloading the files. Would appreciate very much if somebody explains the solution step-by-step how to fix the problem. It's soooooo frustrating %-(

Thanks in advance

Getting VBDs to run is an arcane activity.

MSDN actually explains it all but:

1 You must get the DLL associated with the VBD installed (& registered) on the client.
2 The registry on the client MUST HAVE NO REFERENCES TO .vbd in HKCR or in the filext section under IE. If either .vbd entry is there you will get the pesky open / save dialog.
3 That dialog will also pop up if any component required by the ActiveX Document's DLL is missing.

I suggest that you search the Microsoft Website

Hi Medaille,

Getting the open/save prompt used to be a bad thing all by itself. But if a computer has all the &quot;latest&quot; security patches from Microsoft, that's going to be displayed. And when we first saw the open/save box we panicked. It always caused a pain in the backside. So, you might check to see if the machine has the latest patches.

Also, adding to PeterS2's 06/27 post, if the machine is a Win2K with multiple users having ACCESSED the .vbd, you'll need to browse to the .vbd as the administrator to keep their versions up-to-date.

I'm now programming in .NET because of DLL Hell and find, though it's better, it's not clean yet.

HTH, MapMan [americanflag]

Assume nothing, question everything, be explicit not implicit, and you'll always be covered.

I just, as in moments ago, successfully installed and ran a *.vbd file. My client computer experienced all the same problems as are listed here. I was able to fix the problem very simply by going to my client computer (the one w/o Visual Studio installed) and disassociating my *.vbd w/IE.

Load Explorer -> Tools -> Folder Options -> File Types -> Search for *.vxd -> Remove.

I hope this helps!

CJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back