Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ActiveX Document Can't be viewed from another machine 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AERO

Programmer
Aug 25, 2000
SE
I have compiled an ActiveX Document dll for internet distribution and put all three files (doc.vbd, doc.dll, project.cab) on our webserver together with a .html page in which there is an object tag and a link to the .vbd file.
The problem is, when I access this page from my own machine on which I developed this document, there's no problem. I can write links like " and view my ActiveX Document. But when I move to another machine on the same intranet and write the same address, I get a pop up asking me whether I want to download this vbd file or open it there. And when I choose open it there, it just comes up with a list of programs. Headache, headache!
Anyone knows how to solve this problem??

Hi All,
I have created VB ActiveX EXE Document,When run it gives error message.(Method or data member not found)
With help it gives this solution.
(The collection, object, oruser-defined type doesn't contain the referenced member. This error has the following causes and solutions:

You misspelled the object or member name.
Check the spelling of the names and check the Type statement or the object documentation to determine what the members are and the proper spelling of the object or member names.

You specified a collection index that's out of range.
Check the Count property to determine whether a collection member exists. Note that collection indexes begin at 1 rather than zero, so the Count property returns the highest possible index number.
I tried but it doesnot work.
Please give me solution.
Thanks

I have the same problem... My program runs on Win2000 and Win 98/95, but does not run in Windows NT 4.0.

I have tried all of the suggested strategies, and still nothing.

Do you have any suggestions?

Yours truly,
Sara I. Robles

If end users have security setting on IE set to Low
will help. Local copy will install (one time hit)
should use open from location not save file to local when asked.

This is directed to Sara I. Robles....
On NT,Win2k system,XP etc. One of the things you that
will also cause it to not render properly is The Internet explorer version. In your asp/Htm files that
you create or modify you may need <%Response.Buffer=True%>
at the top (IE 4.0) to insure page rendered properly regardless of IE version..assuming your use IE. IF using Citrix solution for remote user's only need to install on the server. After you wont need the Object pointer to the Cab file in object Tag for clients ... Don't know if that helps but maybe point you in right direction. I have container document object (VBD) working on NT srvpak 6, Win2k and XP From IE 4.0 ...5.5 in production.

This is directed to Sara I. Robles....
On NT,Win2k system,XP etc. One of the things that
will also cause it to not render properly is The Internet explorer version. In your asp/Htm files that
you create or modify you may need <%Response.Buffer=True%>
at the top (IE 4.0) to insure page rendered properly regardless of IE version..assuming your use IE. IF using Citrix solution for remote user's only need to install on the server. After you wont need the Object pointer to the Cab file in object Tag for clients ... Don't know if that helps but maybe point you in right direction. I have container document object (VBD) working on NT srvpak 6, Win2k and XP From IE 4.0 ...5.5 in production.

I am having said problems in the VB6sp5 development environment! I have gone and lowered my IE security settings to lowest for all zones. When I click run under vb6 i fires up ie and prompts me to save the file. the open file option is grey'd out! Im using win98 with EI5.5. Any and all sudgestions are appreciated!

Check your Internet Temporary files and you will find a file with the name ?CodeDownloadErrorLog!name...

Open this file in IE (it is the log-file that you can see which dll or ocx file failed to register).

Then you must make your cab-file again with Package and Deployment Wizard and leave the file(s) that failed by registration (see log-file).

I had that with the files graph32.ocx and graphs32.ocx.

My question is why? Can give someone an answer to that. Now my application is running on our intranet.

Caution: Some people can have some troubles because they don't have the dll or ocx-file. You must register it manually.
karel.denaeghel@barco.com

We have VBDs up and running to download an ActiveX EXE. These points might help:

- you must use the VBD generated by the PDW, NOT the VBD generated by the compiler
- dont use an object tag in html. Just point to the VBD as all the class and codebase info is embedded in there by the PDW
- you must NOT have a .VBD registry entry or no download will occur
- you need to have you CAB signed. Alternatively, add you web site to the list of trusted sites

Hi guys,
Try this. It might help.

If your program is using some .dll files which Windows already have, for example: wininet.dll, when you package your project, don't include the .dll file. I think it's in &quot;Package and Deployment Wizard - Included Files&quot; step, just uncheck the file.

I too am having the same problems – the PDW created a HTML document with a link to the VBD document, but clicking on the link gives the error message “Windows cannot open this file” and asks if I want to search the web or select a program to open the file. I have been through all the suggestions listed here, and all the suggestions listed in the Microsoft article “Internet Explorer Reports Unknown Type .VBD for ActiveX Document”, and I have got exactly nowhere.

It may well be that there is some set of solutions, but if this includes such steps as deleting entries from the Windows registry, it is not a solution at all. I see my job as a programmer as making the power of computers available to people who don’t understand them very well – if they did, they wouldn’t give me money for a database, they would just write it for themselves! As it is, my typical users struggle to alter the font in a word document, there is no way on God’s earth that I would let them loose around the registry.

I can only conclude that, while ActiveX is obviously good in some instances, it cannot be used in developing applications designed to run in Internet Explorer, and that Microsoft have wasted an good deal of developers time with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back