Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ACS R7 Processor Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avayatech713

IS-IT--Management
Aug 23, 2007
US
Here's a good one!

Avaya just sent us a R7 replacement - so we assume it passed their test procedures.

When powered up it shows (10)CO lines - probably came from a switch with that config.

We factory defaulted it - now shows (5) CO lines. When we power it down/up it shows (10) CO lines again.

SO - we factory default it and it shows (5) CO Lines again and then we save the trans to the internal memory - thinking that might overwrite any previous programming the R7 is seeing at startup that causes the (10) CO line config to come back.

No luck! Still (10) CO Lines. So it is booting up reading some other memory chip with programming??

Anyone else have this problem? We also had another one that Avaya sent us as a replacement that showed (2) CO lines and we used the same process and it didn't fix it.

Maybe I'll call Avaya and see what they have found as a solution.

Thanks!

Did it come from Avaya or a Business Partner?

We are BPs - came directly from Avaya via their warranty replacment program.

We get crap back from Avaya repair all the time.

I would have to agree! I had one with an ASA button on extension 13! Try that on for size. Release 7 "91K" with the DST patch I think.

What release is this R7?

Do you know how they fixed the bug of losing the memory on R7's, even if the AAA batteries are good? The AAA's just keep the display from saying "replace batteries with power on", and during a boot up, it reads the memory from the last automatic backup. So, if you really want to get rid of this 10 lines in programming, power it up, default it, set the time to Jan 1, 01:59AM, and wait 2 minutes for the clock to get to 2:01 am. This will overwrite whatever is in there with a default configuration.

Hey TTT, never new that..but I just have a stupid question...why not just set the clock to 2:01 instead of waiting for the two minutes?

Setting the clock didn't fix the problem just as factory defaulting the R7 and saving the default config to the internal memory didn't fix the problem either. It still reboots with 10 CO lines and the previous programming that was on the processor when Avaya sent it as a RMA replacement. There is NO way to clear the old programming that we can figure out.

Found this identical problem on two more ACS R7s we just got back from Avaya.

Gotta call Avaya now - what a joke.

Oh, also after defaulting, turn Auto Backup ON (it's off by default)

The reason to wait from 1:59 to 2:01 is the auto backup occurs at 2am on the 1st of the month if it is turned on.

Try one more time, see if it works.

This might not work but I'll throw it out there for some feed back from the Pro's
What if you were to take spare a backup and restore card programmed with just the 5 lines, everything else set for default, and then do a restore memory.

Now do a save to the internal memory.
Then power down and back up...

I never tried it but....Just wondering...Hmmmm
Rich

This is a reoccuring problem I have seen with repairing the 7.0. You have a file that is saved in your Autobackup section. This file cannot be defaulted once a file has been saved. It can be overwritten by enabling the 2 am auto backup procedure. The system from then on will load off of the new Auto Backup file. This is a clitch from Avaya that I have confirmed with an Avaya tech. No word on if they will fix it.

Avaya is working on a super secret default procedure that when released will erase the backup as well as the programming.

I just got a copy of the New Summer ACS R7 release R7.91 "O" - 5 bug fixes and 5 new programming features. Have a buddy who is on the Avaya Partner Development team. Won't be released to GA until May or June. Some processors that were warranty repairsout of their Mississippi repair facility got the "O" flash update - but not many before they moved all their ACS repair services to New Jersey. Also got the new release ACS R6.0 "C" - fixes a DST problem and some other issues.

The "O" version has these problems fixed in them.

Also some really cool features in the development stage for the new ACS R8 due out next year.

Early adopters of the "O" revision software have reported parts of programming being lost. Has that issue been resolved [ponder]

Avaya really needs to hit a "home run" with the Partner ACS. With all of the problems that have dogged the R7 since day #1, another meltdown could prove to be fatal for the platform.

If it ain't broke, I haven't fixed it yet.

Early adopters of the "O" revision software have reported parts of programming being lost. Has that issue been resolved

I thought that was one of the new features [thumbsup2]

We are running out of letters of the alphabet!

I'm still pushing R6's because I trust them more at this point. Parts warranty is one thing, but time, travel, and gas are also a concern for me.

Wouldn't it be nice if they could also get the backplane to integrate a little tighter with the messaging. I found out totally by accident that the Merlin Messaging R4 gives me the caller ID info when I play the date time stamp, if on a Magix 2.2 or higher. That blew me away! Hope it makes it across to the partner. I am thinking it should be possible since the clock syncs across the backplane unlike old Merlin, pre - 2.5 versions that had to be set independent.

Mike

Some lucky customers are testing R7 "123". It has everything upto "O" plus the ability to turn off setting time from caller ID.
There are dial tone providers out there sending the wrong time with caller ID(Qwest to name one) that forced this change.This really screws up time stamps in voicemail.
Also caller ID on analog phones is a big plus on the test release.

rumor......
Also heard that R7 "124" has the complete default procedure which inludes internal backups.

future rumors........................................
The "R8" will use the ethernet port(can you say IP capability)

Normally I'd really be excited when I read about Avaya adding features to the Partner ACS. However, with all of the bugs that have hobbled the R7 processor, I'm much more reserved now.

For the well being of the Partner platform, I honestly hope Avaya really stress tests all future releases. Too many problems that should have been caught and fixed have slipped past Avaya's testers. Tek-Tips, Sundance and other tech help sites are full of posts about R7 processor woes. [sad]

It would probably be far better for Avaya to delay future releases until they are sure that the processors will work as expected. No more issuing patches that fix one problem but create others in the process. [mad]

If it ain't broke, I haven't fixed it yet.

Every R7 I installed over the past few months had problems. I only install R6s now. Watch out for the DND on the R6b models. It transfers to the operator instead of the extension mailbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back