Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing BCM450 PRI from BCM50 via IP Trunk

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeHaney

IS-IT--Management
Sep 28, 2005
CA
I was hoping someone might be able to point me to a guide on this, as I'm not fully comfortable with routing on the BCM.

I have a BCM450 with a PRI connected with a VoIP GW trunk to a BCM50.

Each system is currently configured to route calls between each other internally, here is the general config:

BCM450
Extensions 1xxx
IP Trunk Routing Table:
"csouth" > Destination Digits 2 > GW Type BCM > MCDN CSE > VoIP Protocol H323
Destination Code 2 > Route 003
Destination Code 9 > Route 002
Route 002 > Pool "BlocB" (Service Type Public)
Route 003 > Pool "BlocA" (DN Type Private)
Pool "BlocA" assigned to VoIP GW trunk lines
Pool "BlocB" assigned to PRI lines

BCM50
Extensions 2xxx
IP Trunk Routing Table:
"cnorth" > Destination Digits 1 > GW Type BCM > MCDN CSE > VoIP Protocol H323
Destination Code 1 > Route 002
Destination Code 8 > Route 001
Route 001 > Pool "BlocB" (Service Type Public)
Route 002 > Pool "BlocA" (DN Type Private)
Pool "BlocA" assigned to VoIP GW trunk lines
Pool "BlocB" assigned to PRI lines
IP Trunk Routing Table

I'd like to get rid of the PRI on the BCM50 and route all outbound calls through the PRI on the BCM450. Inbound calls are a non-concern as currently all inbound lines in use are on the 450 and distributed by a live reception team to the appropriate extension at either site.

I was hoping we could set up a third destination code on the BCM50 such that dialing a 9 or other # will bounce them through the trunk and out the BCM450 PRI... This way I can test it without affecting everyone (who will still press 8 for outbound on the local PRI), then eventually remove the local PRI.

Thanks in advance for any tips you may have,
Mike

You are on the right track, go ahead with the 9 as you stated. The big thing is to build a Remote Package with a Filter. Then assign that package to the INBOUND and OUTBOUND Trunks that you use on the 450.

Adding to hawks comments, go to active physical lines and under restrictions add the PRI lines to a unique remote package (I tend to chose 15). Make a note of the bloc for PRI. Then under active voip lines, again under restrictions on the voip lines, select same remote package. Make a note of the bloc for voip lines. Then for remote package (in this example package 15- I think it's under call security) add both the bloc for the pri lines AND the bloc for the voip lines.

I think I am close, but am getting "no destination" message when trying to dial. I think I have the destination code and/or routing set up incorrectly.

Do I have to set up another IP trunk route on the BCM50 with a different destination digit? Currently the BCM50 has 1 route with "1" as the destination digit; do I add one with a "6" such that when a user on the BCM50 presses 6 it will route out to the BCM450 and pass on the dial string? Or am I missing the boat entirely?

BCM450
Remote Access Packages - 15
Line Pool - BlocA (VOIP) & BlocB (PRI)
Line 073 - Pool BlocB, remote package 15
Line 006 - Pool BlocA, remote package 15

BCM50
Telephony Resources - IP Trunks
"cnorth" > Destination Digits 1, VoIP Protocol H323
Route 015
Use Pool - BlocA (VOIP trunk lines)
DN Type - Private
Destination Code 6
Normal Route - 015
Absorbed Length - All

You have the DN type as private on the BCM50 so yes I would build another Desti Code and point it out the VoIP trunks but mark it as Public DN.

I finally just got back to this location to try a few things out...

I have changed the destination code for "6" on the BCM50 system to "Public (Unknown)" (which is the only public option in the dropdown), and also updated the IP trunk on the BCM50 to include destination digits 1 & 6 (1 is the prefix for DN's on the BCM450, 6 is the destination code on the BCM50 which should route to the PRI on the BCM450).

So now on the BCM50 I can dial 66472041234 ("my" cell number) and I can see the call go out the VoIP lines and a PRI line pickup on the BCM450. The odd thing is that on the BCM50 monitor I see the VoIP line come active and it seems to hit the reception extension (x1220)... Under the Number & Name column I see:
4161231111 - MyCallerID DNIS: 9647204123

So it looks like the VoIP call comes in but it truncates 1 digit off of the number I dialed. Even stranger (to me) is that the call rings at the reception desk (x1220).

Anyone have any other tips by chance? I must be missing one little thing...

Thanks in advance!
Mike

I just found another post, I added a public network dialing plan prefix for "6", which is 12 digits on the BCM50. Now the calls go out to the BCM450 and does not truncate the last digit of the external number.

However, the receptionist still picks up the call... It looks like the BCM50 is stripping the first two digits "69", where the 6 is the destination code on the BCM50 to get out to the BCM450, and the 9 is the destination code on the BCM450 to get a PRI line.

Ugh!

OK it seems the more I post the closer I get... I updated the BCM50 IP Trunk to include "1 6 9", and now I can dial an external number through the BCM450 PRI by dialing 69 + the outside 10 digit number.

So only one thing remains, hopefully someone might have a pointer here...

Is there any way to remove the need to dial 69 and instead just 6?

I know the BCM450 needs the "9" to route the call to the PRI, but is there any way that for these calls routed over the VoIP trunks to remove that need? Either by having the BCM50 strip the 6 and add a 9, or have the BCM450 route calls to the PRI by default (if they are not prefixed by 9 or 2 (the internal extension prefix))?

Mike

Awesome, works like a charm! Thanks so much!

SupportDude, ive never done it like that before. I always just made the dest code ie in this case 69 and just absorb the 6. That has worked for me many many times.

Jeremy J. Carter
Charm City Communications
Norstar. BCM. CS1000 Programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back