Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access database - Multitude of errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Becca999

Programmer
Oct 14, 2003
US
Hi,

I have a back end Access database. We believe it got corrupted in an auto-compact (happened during 2nd-shift). When we try to open the database in 97, we get that "the database is in an unexpected state; MS Acess cannot open it ...." We have gotten this before & converted it to 2000 then back to 97. When we try to open it in 2000, we get "The current user doesn't have permission to convert or enable this database." The database is on a server that everyone has permissions too. We tried converting ot with JETCOMP.exe and get the same thing.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!!

Just a shot...

Copy the file local first. Take the server out of the picture. I've seen some strange issues when attempting to compact on the network. Especially if there is a space or permission issue.

Try to compact/repair first. Then, do the Access-2000 to Access-97 thing, if that worked before for you. As a last attempt, create a new database and import the data objects.

And, if all else fails, get a backup from the network tape and restore it. At least you will have a starting point.

As a paranoid developer, I personally, make WinZip copies of all production mdb's that I am responsible for. In once case, the database was backed up with a corrupt mdb and the tapes from previous days/weeks were corrupt and unreadable. So, I no longer put my full trust in network backups.

htwh,

Steve Medvid
"IT Consultant & Web Master"

Chester County, PA Residents
Please Show Your Support...

I'm also having a few issues with Access 97 going to 2000, I'm getting messages like "File not found" and "The Visual Basic for Applications project in the database is corrupt". Any ideas as to how I can get all my forms into 2000. Additional Note: the buttons on the 97 forms use VB to execute.

Thanks for the reply. I tried the copying locally & got the same errors. I tried creating a new MDB and importing the data but when I clicked on the bad MDB, it did not show any tables. We ended up restoring from back up but lost data because we had to go a few days back to find a good copy.

Well... lesson learned... perhaps a good idea to have a secondary backup that performs a WinZip of critical MDBs on a scheduled basis daily. And, saving 7-10 days would be recommended.

I've often toyed with the idea of having MS Access as a front end to manage the archival and purge of these WinZip extra backup files that I would store locally on my PC.

Steve Medvid

Also, did u try Access-XP. I've had better success transferring from Access-XP to Access-97.

Steve Medvid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back