Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 97 to Access 2000 Sort Order Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dropspun

Programmer
May 2, 2001
US
I'm in the process of converting Access 97 databases (on a Windows 98 operating system) to Access 2000 (running on a Windows 2000 operating system.

Has anyone else noticed that the tables on the "Tables" tab sort slightly differently in 2000? I'm not referring to records within the tables, but just the listing of tables (in ascending order) on the Windows 2000\Access 2000 "Tables" tab. Here's an example:

Win98/Access97 database:

Agency
Dup_select
dupcount

Win 2000/Access 2000 database:

Agency
dupcount
Dup_select

Both databases have always been in English and both use the "General" sort order. Neither database has security setups, nor do they use ActiveX Controls or complex macros. I've scoured Microsoft Knowledge base and Tek-tips and have come with nothing to account for this. Ideas anyone? Should I worry about this?

You can sort the database window icons in many different ways (name, modified, description, created, type, etc.). General only specifies the language. In the database window choose view details or right click and select sort order. Maybe you probably have a different order specified. Sort both versions by name, and you should match up. Compact the database to sort as specified in your options.

Thank you MajP, I appreciate your reply. But, although both databases are identical (except that one is in Access 97 and the other is in 2000), these table names show up in the order shown above even after I sort in ascending order. I did the sort by going to the "Tables" tab and clicking on the "Name" column until I got the Ascending sort order on both databases.

I also tried compacting the database that was in Access 97, sorted the table names in ascending order, then compared it to the Access 2000 database table name order, since the 2000 database had been compacted during conversion, but still got the same results.

Since ac2k the special characters (ie nor letter nor digit) are IGNORED for a Database sort.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back