Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

abrupt freeze, shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJavaargs

Programmer
Sep 10, 2001
US
Hi All.

I'm writing to find out what the following is:

VWin32 (OS) 00003360 ERR 0e:0028c02a6538

My friend has been having this blue screen quite often and claims that the puter either freezes or shuts down prematurely. he has win ME os and I wasn't able to find anything related to this at the MS homepage about the error in question. If anyone would know that would be great.

Thanks for your time.

RJ

Just a thought,
maybe CPU overheat.

How often and is it specific to any tasks being performed?

Fatal Exception Errors always end up with the BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death)

Could it be a Virtual Driver problem? (I'm assuming this because VWin32 and not Win32 Error) Maybe the file VWin32 is corrupt.Do a search for this file on your machine while in Safe Mode.

Have you tried Windows ME Safe Mode or a Step by Step confirmation?

To boot into Safe Mode:

At a certain point when booting under Windows ME,
the screen will say Starting Windows ME.
At this point you can press CTRL (or F8 on older machines)to get a menu of bootup options. The screen should look similar to this:

Microsoft Windows ME Startup Menu

1. Normal
2. Logged (\BOOTLOG.TXT)
3. Safe mode
4. Safe mode with network support
5. Step-by-step confirmation
6. Command prompt only
7. Safe mode command prompt only
8. Previous version of MS-DOS

Enter a choice:
F5=Safe mode Shift-F5=Command Prompt Shift-F8=Step-by-step confirmation [N]

Booting in "Safe mode" or "Safe mode with network support" will provide troubleshooting of specific windows drivers that have been known to cause problems in the past.
This is essentially the same as booting windows
without any third party drivers and running with a VGA display driver. Safe mode does not process the CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files.
It does load HIMEM.SYS and any VxD's (Windows Virtual Device Driver)that are needed for minimum operation of windows.

Do a search for this file on your machine.
I didn't have it but I'm running Windows 98

If Safe Mode doesn't target the problem right away....try step by step.You may have to experiment...

Booting under the "Step-by-step confirmation" allows you to boot Windows ME, but with the option of not loading certain virtual drivers or load necessary drivers like EMM386.EXE and HIMEM.SYS.
This is the best way to single out drivers or configuration settings that may be the cause of the problem.

Hope this helps
Shawn :cool:

Thanks guys.

I let my friend know about this. actually I email the thread that should do it. I'll need to teach him about safe mode a certain things. Wish me luck.

RJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back