Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptop Freezes and Clock Stops

Status
Not open for further replies.

pradnie

Programmer
Mar 11, 2010
FR
Since few days ago, my Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop has been freezing. This is how it goes.
I start the laptop, after 15 minutes, the clock stops and laptop freezes. Then I restart it manually. Again same thing happens. Strangely I do not get an error message that says the computer was restarted improperly and needs to run a scan/check disks. It goes start to restarting normally.

So what I did was changed the CMOS battery. Took the power battery out and plugged it start with the AC adapter. Again the clock stopped after about 20 minutes this time. The cursor moves for a while but if I insist on opening some programs, the laptop beeps continuously and I need to shut it down manually.

I have all my work on this computer and need to have it working. Any help would be appreciated, please.

Virginie

So are the lockup issues gone then? If we've moved from lockups to codecs, a new thread should be started.

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Thanks Ben, those are exactly the codes I was looking for. And thanks to kjv1611 as well.
Yes the issue with lockups have disappeared. I bought a new system fan for no purpose. It must have been somekind of malware or virus on the system that was causing the problem.

Thanks to everyone on this thread who gave their opinions.

One question: does the fan actually run all continuously or does it run intermittently as the laptop heats up?

Regards: Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back