Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A word with two opposing meanings 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 8, 2003
GB
OlafDoschke said:
I'd go for a steroetype and add in "no" sometimes means "yes". An inaccuracy often attributed to women.

:) Since my return to Australia a few years ago (after an absence of 10 years or so) I've noticed frequent use of "yeah nah" as a filler in conversation, especially when sportsmen are being interviewed on TV. I don't remember noticing it before... it seems to be used in a similar way to (and possibly derived from) "y'know", but is far more confusing, especially in response to a question!

Annihilannic
[small]tgmlify - code syntax highlighting for your tek-tips posts[/small]

==> Anyone know the term for a word that fits these molds?
There are several terms used, but I suspect the most common term is "autoantonym".

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. - Plato

as to the original question, custom would fill the bill also...

custom -

1. n. "a usage or practice common to many or to a particular place or class or habitual with an individual"

2. v. "made or performed according to personal order"

how about the word impassionate (a strong affection or without passion/feeling)...

I guess I'll just mosey along now...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Just like the word "fanny"?

What does fanny mean on your side of the pond?

I can't imagine an opposite meaning from my perspective.

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

Heh, heh! Ah yes, the "fanny" word.

I had a friend visiting here (USA) from Australia. We were taking her to Disneyland. As we were about to leave, my wife told her she had to go get her "fanny pack", and our visiting friend went white and her jaw dropped. "STREWTH! WHAT DID YOU SAY?!?" We asked, haven't you heard of a "fanny pack"? She said, "STOP SAYING THAT!".

After a bit of discussion, we finally determined that in Australia, the word "fanny" is a very vulgar term for a part of the female reproductive system (much like the "C" word here). In the US, it's a cute, safe term for the butt. Kind of like saying "bum" I imagine. It's a term you would use with a small child.

We settled on calling it a "butt bag".

Does the word hold the same meaning in the UK? I just knew it had that meaning in Oz.

Sam said:
Does the word hold the same meaning in the UK?
Absolutely it does...Yanks get in big trouble in the UK when they use the benign-in-the-US phrase, "I'm gonna kick your fanny", not knowing the British Commonwealth interpretation.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel.

Canada is in the British Commonwealth and I had not come across the alternate meaning. That being said, I do lead a somewhat sheltered life.

I can think of a word beginning with "f" that has at least a hundred meanings...

Annihilannic
[small]tgmlify - code syntax highlighting for your tek-tips posts[/small]

KWB,

funny that you mention that, about leading a "sheltered" life, or is that a "reclusive" life of a hermit?

Santa,

I bet that is a pain in the "old derriere" then... ;-)
I love the facial expressions on Americans, when someone from the UK asks them if they have a "rubber"...

Annihilannic,

yep, that "f" word, multifunctional and fits almost in every sentence...

e.g. when one stumbles or falls down, "F..." bleep bleep...
or when one forgets something and it suddenly dawns on them, "F..." bleep bleep...

gotta be the most used word in the English language (at least in the US)... ;-)

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

In the UK, the word "fanny" is nowhere near as offensive as the "c" word (presumably the one in the saying "who put the c*** into Scunthorpe"). In fact, I don't know anyone who would class it as offensive. I'd say that it's akin to using the word "boobies" to refer to bosoms.

I can't actually think of a milder / more "family friendly" term for a vagina that's in common use in the UK... even "front bottom" is probably more offensive. Having said that, the phrase "fanny fart" is one I'd consider to be a bit rude and not one that I'd use in pleasant company.

What Americans call a "fanny pack", we'd call a "bum bag" - even though it's generally worn round the front (presumably for easy access or to stop people stealing from it).

Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

[blue]@[/blue] Code Couch:
[blue]@[/blue] Twitter:
The Out Atheism Campaign

our visiting friend went white and her jaw dropped. "STREWTH! WHAT DID YOU SAY?!?" We asked, haven't you heard of a "fanny pack"? She said, "STOP SAYING THAT!".

Your friend must have had a very sheltered upbringing to have a reaction like that. Most aussies would find "fanny" more acceptable than "bum" for use in conversation.

Cheers
Lightning [upsidedown]

just remember if you use the word fanny in a joke with a yank & he thinks he gets it he is actually 1/2" out :)

Computers are like Air conditioners:-
Both stop working when you open Windows

That reminds me of a phrase I learned a while back:

"To change [lines] at Baker Street"

Without needing to spell it out, it got the name from the Baker Street London Underground station where you can change from the brown line to the pink...

Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

[blue]@[/blue] Code Couch:
[blue]@[/blue] Twitter:
The Out Atheism Campaign

One of my wife's friends is married to an officer in the (US) army. A while back, when he was stationed as SHAPE, she was meeting with a bunch of wives of UK officers. Apparently she got some VERY funny looks when she mentioned that she did fanny exercises.

The first word I was actually thinking of was "table". the other was "pavement".

Tony

BRPS said:
Presumably the one that Monty Python did a song about?
Lightning said:
Most aussies would find "fanny" more acceptable than "bum" for use in conversation.
Reminds me of the Monty Python line "Hot enough to boil a monkey's bum in here your majesty"

It is time for pacifists to stand up and fight for their beliefs.

@ Nighteyes

- I hesitate to ask after the fanny fiasco but Table has an opposite meaning? Best guess is that it has something to do with discussing options? One side means start and other to end?

- Pavement? - Stretching the point there I think. Not really opposites as much as differences. Then again, if someone were to step off the pavement... hmmmm.

There's a term where I've been surprised at the reaction from my American neighbours. Not an opposite but meanings are completely unrelated. - Pissed.
If a Canadian is pissed he does not act like an American who is pissed. (Some exceptions apply)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back