Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A unique paging request 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyguy2

Vendor
Aug 31, 2005
US
Paging phones----got it
Page overhead---easy
Page both simultaneously----no problem

However, sending a radio call from a Police dispatcher to phones in the IP Office??????. I’m stumped!

A police station currently has an NEC system and is changing to an IP Office. They currently have the ability to listen to radio calls made from their dispatcher via the speakers of their telephones. It appears that the radio signal is connected to an NEC trunk port that is assigned as background music. Whenever the dispatcher transmits on that radio channel, the call is transmitted to the phones as background music. HMMMMMMMM.

Anyone know how I can do this in an IP Office?

IPO can't do that is my guess

That is an odd feature for a phone system to have

Do you want the paging to go over the overhead? then you could use a separate input on the amp to make that work (replace the amp if need be) paging through the phones? Walk away and tell them to keep their NEC

I think I read that you want it on the phones.... Sorry maybe someone else comes up with some device that can do it but I doubt it as it would occupy the paging all the time and nobody would be able to page any more

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME), ACIS (SME)

"This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

I know it's a strange feature but they want it to stay. It is only going through the phones and it must act like a dial page feature in order for the rest of the paging to work. Keeping my fingers crossed.

If you have a VOX module (it detects voice/sound on a audio input) which can activate a relay then maybe you can do something

Just in the hope that the simplest solution is the best solution...

If the NEC is using a trunk port for background music then the input very likely has an impedance of 600 ohms which is the standard for a music input on a PBX. If you can confirm with your test set that police calls go to this trunk port then I think this could be a simple set up.

My thinking is that you could just connect the feed to an analog extension port on the IP Office configured to be a MOH source. It is documented in the help files that this can be done under Music on Hold. The IP500 V2 can have 3 alternate sources. You cannot use the built in MOH port since that will allow calls on hold to hear police calls. I apologize if this seems to be overstating the obvious but experience has told me this needs to be done sometimes ;).

Then, according to the docs, the source can be monitored on a phone using the short code *34N# replacing "N" with the source number.

I would definitely see if the station would allow you to mock up during a non-peak time and test this but I think it will work. The electrical parameters of a music port are the same regardless of the manufacturer.

If not then check this site out - sandman.com He can probably help you get this going if the above solution doesn't help. You can call him and he will definitely take the time to help you out.

Mike

I reached out to a colleague, as i thought there was a company named Objectel in Canada that could do this.

It actually is a fairly common request for Municipalities and police organizations.

Great stuff guys. I will try both of the suggestions and let you know how it goes. Thanks as always. I see a star (or 2) in future.

the problem is that this is wanted over the phones.
It would require a VOX module to put the audio into memory then actually dialing the paging code and sending the audio after it has dialed.
I never heard that Police wants their radio over the paging but after 30 years I am still learning something new every day so another day where I learned something new in 2015 :)

The NEC has the MoH on speakers all the time and manages it that way.
That would explain how it was done and the IPO cannot emulate that because no real PBX could, you would have to use a Nortel BCM (sad to say and a step in the wrong direction) as that would have that capability, as far as I know.
That would also explain that the system has not really the feature of paging with VOX capability but MoH is on all the time and the input is just live whenever a message comes through.

There are PC based solutions out there for paging but if I were you I would ask them to go with overhead solutions rather than the phone solution and add some speakers as that is way easier to troubleshoot/install and less vulnerable to failure.

Joe W.

"This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"

@ Westi - Most phone systems will allow you to play the MOH over the phone speaker using a service code. NEC, Toshiba, and others have this ability. I THINK the IP Office will also do this with the *34 code as referenced above. According to the OP, the radio is connected to a trunk port and the trunk port is configured as a MOH source. I am assuming the OP has a clear understanding of the physical setup. My personal experience with Toshiba is that the source will play until you turn the feature off.

The IPO allows for an analog extension to be configured as an MOH port. My thinking is that in the programming you designate which source that will be and then you can listen to it via the phones.

I am familiar with your VOX application. I had a job at the airport where the fire rescue needed to selectively hear emergency tower traffic over the PA. That is exactly how it was done. The audio was fed down an OPX circuit to the rescue station and from there via a VOX switch, broadcast over the PA system. We had to tweak the gain settings a little due to wire length but, after all was said and done, it worked great.

If the analog station idea doesn't pan out then a separate page feed from the radio over speakers might have to be the ticket.

I definitely recommended to the OP that this be mocked up before promising anything to the customer because I recognize there are a lot of "should" statements. I am hoping this will be an easy and reliable idea for him. ~ Mike

@meyer1 I realise that the IPO can listen to the MoH via the shortcode but it will prevent all further pages to come through because it uses the first call path for it and is an active call.
Other systems use this as a way to listen to the radio but the IPO is designed as a PBX not a key system.
I wish that the IPO could do this to a certain size even but Avaya is not even entertaining the thought of it so far. They say it is not selling more systems for them.
I agree whole heartedly with you to test this before promising it but my guess is that it was already sold and the OP is now tasked with the install and to make it work somehow.

Joe W.

*34 isn't the way to go.
I was thinking of a solution to use a alog station with a hotline shortcode ?D/*99/Dial/0 and create a shortcode *99/Dial Page/<group nmbr>/0.
Connect the audio from the transmitter to the a/b wires of the alog station and put the normal closed relais contact between the a/b wired with a 800 ohms resistor in serial.
When there is audio the VOX switch detects it, activate the relais, IP Office sses the alog station going off hook and activate the hotline shortcode which activates paging and audio will go through the paging equipment and/or the speakers of free system phones.
The only small detail I am not sure of is if you can dial a shortcode with the hotline feature.

That is a neat solution intrigrant I just tested and you can't dial a SC but you can make the feature dial paging and set teh HG as TN then it works

Joe W.

@ Westi - So now I see why my idea wouldn't work. Because it (*34) is considered an actual call and not just a monitor. That is unfortunate. Looks like intrigrant's idea might be the best way to do this. Thank you for the further education on the IPO. Even if my idea didn't pan, something was learned. As my esteemed colleague would say, "This is another case of Avaya being Avaya..."

Intrigrant's solution is a neat and relatively simple one. I like it.

The NEC feature they are using is BGM- Background Music. Probably "Feature 26 Feature" or a DSS key.
The Avaya feature is hold music. So indeed, two different features.

Dulce et decorum pro Avaya mori

I like the
unknown colleague said:
"This is another case of Avaya being Avaya..."
phrase.
We all have that embroidered into our pillows [rofl2]

We should all ask them at the same time for that feature so that their wires burn through from over usage.

I learn something new almost every day on the IPO and I do it for 11 years, also doesn't help that they do things different in different releases and then change it back and forth in the releases just to confuse the heck out of us.

Joe W.

Thanks for the stars on this solution....

Seriously, I am glad it is possible one way or another, goodbye NEC, Toshiba, Nortel BCM, Avaya can do more although they tend to forget to document the undocumented.... but that is were we are here for.

@ Westi, you said "you can't dial a SC but you can make the feature dial paging and set teh HG as TN then it works" Are you saying that the hotline feature won't work or are you saying the short code should be ?D/dial Page/HG#/0 ?

My guess is indeed : ?D/Dial Page/HG?/0, that is how I read it.

Yes it works with the dial paging feature
?D/Dial Page/HG?/0

Joe W.

Thanks, now I just need to find the correct equipment and I'll let you all know how it goes. At least it's a new install and I'll have some time to test it. Thanks for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back