Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A question about SCN fallback

Status
Not open for further replies.

scifan

Technical User
Mar 12, 2018
US
I may be asking the wrong question, and perhaps some "light" reading might help solidify my knowledge for this.

Our central site has a pair of IPO servers configured in a Primary and Secondary/backup configuration. Each site - including the central site has an expansion system. The Central sites Expansion system has 3 PRI circuits connected and all call's route through this central expansion system. Each remote site has an SCN connection to the central site's expansion system, and to both IPO servers. Users and extensions are configured on the expansion systems at each site (including at the Central site) and phones register to the expansion system at each site. The SCN link to the Primary server has Fallback enabled.

Should the SCN connection to the "Secondary" server also have fallback enabled?

Server edition

1 primary, 1 Secondary. They fall back to each other.

Expansions will only have 1 connect line to each server.
I line to primary
1 line to secondary.

Expansions don’t connect to each other. Normally.
Only in server edition Select mode.

Fallback from the expansion will either be to the primary or secondary server.
Not both.

Open manager
Select resilience Administration on the solution page

Make your choices here.

Primary and secondary should be ticked.
Expansions is your choice.

This is Server Edition, uncertain about if it's select mode.

I suspect we have a non-standard configuration that's been brewed up here.

I wonder if this could be why we had such pain when the primary was shutdown for host maintenance a week ago. The secondary was up, and the expansion claimed voicemail was happy, but any call's to voicemail from off-system would result in a "All Voicemail channels" are in use kind of message.

I know that as things are currently configured, each expansion/500v2 has 3 SCN lines configured - one to the core/central 500v2, and one to the Primary, and one to the Secondary.

And phones primarily register to the local expansion/500v2.

Btw, I've been watching the voicemail "Distributed Voicemails" updating throughout the day, and I believe things are definitely working now.

When you open SSA on the secondary..go to voicemail
It should say centralised Inactive
Voicemail ports are not transferred over which is normal.
That’s the normal setup position.

When it’s in fall back mode it will say “Centralised “ Backup Active.”
That means it’s working correctly in backup mode
You should see the voicemail ports transferred over to the secondary

If it says “None” Backup active “
Then it’s not sync up correctly.
Voicemail ports transferred over
Voicemail doesn’t work and you get busy tone.

You may be best to shutdown the primary completely.
Then hopefully the fail over will work.

When I connect to the Primary server's Voicemail I see "Centralized Voicemail".
When I connect to the secondary servers' Voicemail I see "Backup Voicemail"

I believe this is a Select system running on 11.0.4 SP1 (which is probably our primary problem). Note that Avaya has already told us to upgrade to 11.0.4 SP2 to resolve some of the issues that we've been experiencing and I've asked the vendor to push the upgrade about 2 weeks hoping we're not going to string ourselves up when this is done.

There are several threads I've opened primarily looking for additional information about how this system should be configured.

There's voicemail issues - where our voicemail has done odd things when failed over to the backup system. Sometimes messages came back from having been deleted, sometimes "visual voicemail" wouldn't be available for use 9608's would show a "busy" message on the screen. When updating vmware on the hosts, I found that voicemail wouldn't work at all while the primary node was off-line which started a whole new thread of questions from me.

Since the upgrade from 10.1.5 to 11.0.4 sp1 we've experienced the weird issue with call forwarding (if a E129 calling a 9608 at another site, then being forwarded to another at the second site the system will hang up that call after 30 seconds with a disconnect.

The original drawings for this deployment showed each site having a secondary analog trunk for emergency dial out, but aside from one site, those emergency lines were connected to an analog phone at each site. The one site that actually had the analog trunk connected to the 500v2 didn't have secondary routes configured for emergency dial out. (the inbound number was routed to the analog port that the red phone for that site was connected to. Outbound calls from that phone wouldn't route out the analog trunk. (ultimately after discovering this, we modified that site to be configured like the other sites - primarily to avoid confusion when people switch sites)

I believe this is a Select system!" - don't you know!

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

I have more knowledge of Cisco Call Manager based systems than Avaya IP Office. Though I'm working on that.

It will help to find out, since two of the main differences between Server Edition and Select operation are the resiliency options and voicemail server operation. Look in the system licenses for Select licenses.

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

Looking at the license on the primary server I see the following:

License Mode - License Normal
Licensed version - 11.0
PLDS Host ID (a 12 digit number)
PLDS File status - Valid
Select Licensing - Valid

Feature
Avaya IP End Points xxxx valid never plds nodal
Server Edition xx valid never plds nodal
sip trunk channels xx valid never plds nodal
CTI Link Pro x valid never plds nodal
Office Worker xxx valid never plds nodal
Power User xx valid never plds nodal
Additional voicemail Pro Ports 52 valid never plds nodal
Wave User x Obsolete never plds nodal

In another thread, I thought I'd read something about each server edition license including 2 voicemail pro port licenses, but I don't see that reflected on our system license wise. (I only see the 52 ports live) We actually do not use the SIP licenses currently, all of our inbound circuits are on a trio of PRI circuits which we quite thoroughly exhausted with a couple of robo calls a couple of weeks ago.

Both servers, and all expansions (500v2) show an IP Office Select license enabled.

It's interesting how some licenses are PLDS Nodal, and some are virtual with licenses allocated from the license service on the primary server.

The licensing on the primary is a centralised pool.
The primary will share the licences with the other servers and expansion system
That’s why they are virtual because they have been taken from the primary system.

Expansions need licences for the pri lines because they reside on the expansion unit.
They are not centralised
Softconsole licence is not centralised therefore you need to assign them to the plds Id for the correct unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back