Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A program is trying to access e-mail addresses 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

slr22

MIS
Jun 26, 2002
US
Hello. I have a user using Outlook 2002(XP) and whenever she tries to open an email, forward an email, or reply to an email she gets the following message:

"A program is trying to access e-mail addresses you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this?

If this is unexpected, it may be a virus and you should choose "No"."

We always say no to this question. She has all the latest virus definitions downloaded. I did a scan and no viruses were found. She has all the latest patches installed on the computer. I just install a couple days/a week ago the office SP3 that Microsoft said that was "critical" to install. I haven't found any services that looked strange. Does anyone know what could be causing this to happen? Everything has been working fine until yesterday when this started to happen. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

go to one of the anit=virus websites. Some virus may require a manual deletion.

I did just recently install office SP3, however I have other people who have also installed this and they are not having this issue.

I will try running a virus scan using a antivirus website and see how that goes.

Thanks.

I got the same problems after installing SP3. Argh.

I am also running a free beta version of Spamnet. I ran across a technical bulletin from Spamnet referencing this problem, and saying that they have a new build that fixes this problem. I am uninstalling Spamnet to see if it is the problem. Anyone else running Spamnet?

I also noticed a new update on MS Outlook, posted on March 24, 2004. It talks about script editor. Any thoughts as to whether this will fix the problem?

I ran a virus scan through the internet and it came back with no viruses.

cjrlauve, did you download the update for MS Outlook? Did that fix the problem?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I notice in that article that you had a link to that hotbar affects SP3. The girl had hotbar installed. I had the girl uninstall hotbar and everything so far is working just fine again.

Thanks so much for all your help!

Excellant find cjrlauve - many thanks and a star for you! My problem turned out to be the PDFMaker add-on. Again, thanks.

JettaWarrior

I also had the same problem as JettaWarior with PDFMaker and was able to fix it with the info in the link cjrlauve posted, but now I find this situation:

I use Word as my e-mail editor. When Outlook is running, and I open Word, the PDFMaker fuctions are missing. If I close Outlook and then restart Word, they reappear. So if I want to use the PDFMaker functionality in Word, I must make sure to close Outlook before starting Word. This is still a bit annoying, but less than the "access to email" prompts in Outlook whenever I created a new message.

Yes. I notinced that too. However, I can open Excel and the PDFMaker add-in is there and works fine. Go figure.

THANK YOU, all!!! Over the past 4 or 5 days, I've been experiencing the same problem with that incessant "A program is trying to access e-mail addresses you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this?" constantly until I exited out of Outlook.

Reading Microsoft's updates, etc. did not really provide any insights. Once I read this thread, I went to Sunbelt Software's website looking for a "cure" since I user their iHateSpam anti-spam software. They have a patch specifically to fix this problem and right now is the first time in the past several days I've been able to "use my computer with Outlook running".

I also use PDFWriter, however I don't think it has anything to do with this problem.

Again...THANK YOU ALL for pointing me in the right direction. I thought I had a virus for sure. I've become a new TekTips.com member and look forward to helping others and benefitting from such a great website.

...Mike

I left out one critical piece of information, I had just installed Outlook XP's SP3 4 or 5 days ago and that's when this problem began. Definitely the source and now the solution.

Thank you...

If you go to Options and uncheck "Use Word as email editor" it will solve the problem in most cases as well.

In my case i changed the advanced option setting to - Startup in this folder: "INBOX"
Instead of the default option - Startup in this folder "Mailbox" ...to my amazement it fixed the problem :)

Hi,
I too just installed office 2002 SR3 and have the problem indicated. At first, all of my Adobe PDF commands vanished from outlook and word (but showed up in Excel and Powerpoint). Now they show up everywhere fine.

I found the most helpful option was to NOT use word as the editor, as mentioned earlier.

I called Microsoft and spoke with a very kind woman who said they know it's a problem - and they're working on it. Many have complained and she wonders why SR3 is still on the net - it should be pulled off.

Thus - it's a direct problem with SR3; the best solution for now - uninstall office, reinstall and only upgrade to SR2, don't get SR3.

I hope these findings set some minds at ease (though I'm still ticked off, at least I know what's going on).

Good luck!

I install and updated Office XP with sp3 and found we have the same problem.
By reading this thread I unistalled Hot Bar on 2 PC's so far and it took care of the problem.

Thanks much to all!!!!!!!!!

Same problem here after installing SR3. I also have ScanSoft PDF Converter. The problem went away after I deselected the converter: [Tools, Options, Other, Advanced Options, COM Add-Ins]. This is ok with me for now. I'll just turn ScanSoft back on when I want to use it.

Ok guys,

Here is an explanation as to why this is happening. With the new security updates, if you have USE MICROSOFT WORD TO EDIT EMAIL MESSAGES, you will get this dialogue. This is because word is actually trying to send the message, not Outlook. The system sees this as a security breach and is letting you know that some program, WORD, is sending the message through Outlook. This is a good thing, especially with all of the lates viruses, worms out there. Yes, I agree, it is annoying, but maybe if we all ask, Microsoft can greate a module that will put certain programs on the "Whitelist". If you have scanned you PC for viruses using atleast 2,count them TWO, sources, and both show nothing, then you are OK. I usually suggest scanning using your installed Virus scan [with updated DATS], and once again with an online scanner [like housecall from trend-micro]. Anyway, thats my bit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back