Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

a few questions about dual channel ddr 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybersmoke1

Technical User
Jun 25, 2003
US
i understand the concept of dual channel ddr(two memory controllers for double the memory bandwidth)

what i dont understand is what type of ram chips you need to use to enable dual channel. do the chips have to be specifically designed for it or will any ol chip work

as stated in a previoud post im building myself a new computer with a mobo that supports dual channel but i dont know if i need to get an expensive ram kit made specificaly for dual channel or if i can buy cheap ram chips(by cheap i just mean kingston 3200)

My understanding is that regular DDR266 and higher will work (as high as your mobo supports of course). To avoid problems, however, it is a good idea to make sure both chips are exactly identical.

~cdogg
[tab]"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

thanks, ive seen so many different type of ram includeing ram specifically made for dual channel , i was worried that if i bought standard 3200 it wouldnt function in dual channel mode.

Some dual channel motherboards will only "dual channel" with single sided modules (which is a bit of a pain as very few 512 sticks are single sided)
I have just bought the new Gigabyte GA-7NNXP (nforce2 400) and you guessed it, my two sticks of 512 400 are double sided, such is life.
It's very quick, my 3D mark 2001 has gone up over a 1,000 points (Via KT400 -- Nforce2 400) GF4800Ti)
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

im planning on getting a soyo dragon plus 2, has the intel 865pe chipset so it shouldnt be too horribly picky i hope, thanks for the heads up tho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back