Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

9730 Timberwolf library on HP-UX 11.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtrusty

MIS
Jun 1, 2000
US
A 'purchasing genius' got a 'good deal' on a used timberwolf library, and got the hardware plugged in.&nbsp;&nbsp;Unfortunately, we have no technical support, and are at a loss as to&nbsp;&nbsp;how to establish the robotics.&nbsp;&nbsp;Currently using Omniback package for a HP DLT7000 library.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;In a pinch, we use the 'mc' command to interrogate and manage the library.&nbsp;&nbsp;Neither of these seem to work with the storagetek library.&nbsp;&nbsp;(MC command returns 'IO Error'...strangely, it worked the first couple of times...however, it took minutes to return a result, while HP libraries tend to return result in fractions of a second).&nbsp;&nbsp;Anybody have any hints, tips? Please respond to <A HREF="mailto:ryan-trusty@idexx.com">ryan-trusty@idexx.com</A>

I recently started working on a centralilzed backup with a Tmberwolf 9730. I had purchased an Adaptec 2940 Ultra Wide SCSI card and got nowhere. I talked to StrorgeTek and told them I was using WIndows 2000 with Backup Exec and an IBM Netfinity 7000, but when I got to the SCSI card the tech support person said I needed a high voltage SCSI card such as the Adaptec 2944 Ultra Wide differential card. When I got this, Windows 2000 saw the tape library. I still had problems with Windows 2000 Remote Storage option interfering with Backup Exec, so I went to NT 4.0 and everything seems to be working. I am looking for a way to make copies of the tapes for offsite storage now.

thelmaus (MIS)
As for a way to make copies of the tapes for offsite storage, have you thought about using hardware tape mirroring within your 9730 tape library to create an &quot;On Site&quot; and &quot;Off Site&quot; copy of your tapes simultaneously, in the same time it takes to do a single backup? Check out Ultera Systems web site for a real time disaster recovery plan combining Tape RAID and Automation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back