Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

96xx phones will not boot after bin upgrade 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rricks

Programmer
Apr 7, 2008
US
I have a new install that the customer has several different VLANs a mixture of 9650, 9640, 9630 and 9620 phones. The voip VLAN is 401

The data subnet is xxx.xxx.166.xxx
The IP 500 Ver 6.1.5 is on a server subnet xxx.xxx.161.xxx
the phones are on a subnet xxx.xxx.163.xxx using dhcp.

My DHCP scope is as follows
Data Scope option 242……..L2Q=1,L2QVLAN=401,VLANTEST=60
Voip Scope option 242…….MCIPADD=172.18.161.36,MCPORT=1719,HTTPSRVR=172.18.161.36

Everything is working as it should on all 9640 phones. When I plug in a 9620, 9630 or a 9650 phone, the phone will boot normally. It will search for DHCP then restart finding VLAN 401 as it should. It locates the file server and uploads the Bin Files and saves to Flash. When it reboots it looks for DHCP then switches to VLAN 0. The Phone will search for VLAN 0 which doesn’t exist, then lock in a continuous reboot. I changed the 46xxsettings file to indicate VLAN 401 with the same result. I can manually program the phone for VLAN 401 and it will work. That isn't really an option I care to use.

I found that the 9640 phones that work, have an application file that is ha96xxua3_11.bin and a boot file that is hb96xxua3_11.bin. The phones that are not working are using hb96xxua3_11.bin for both the application file and the boot file.

I went into the 96xxupgrade.txt file and bypassed the upgrade files by putting ##in front of the line that says “SET APPNAME hb96xxua3_11.bin” and a 9630 phone skipped the upgrade and booted up with no problem!

I am not sure about the default bin files so I do want to upgrade the phones.

Avaya is telling me that they cannot duplicate this problem and I am not getting much help.

Has anyone seen this before? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

When Avaya says that the do not know the problem then they are lying to you.
It is a known and documented problem.

When you pay peanuts, you get monkeys!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

bdelmar..... That is great information Thank You!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back