Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

911 Calls and Caller ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

gphone

Technical User
Oct 21, 2002
US
We have CM 5.1 with LSP gateways at several remotes in addition to Definity R11 (CM 1) at other locations. All of our main numbers for each facility route to a centralized call center at one location. Those numbers have been ported to that location. Each location has thier own PRI/s and all sites are networked together.

When callers dial out of each facility the caller ID being displayed is the main number for that facility, so if someone returns that call using caller ID it routes back to our call center.

A problem we just realized is that when 911 is dialed from a remote location, PSAP recieves the main number for that facility which is representing the address of the centralized call center since that is where the main number resides.

Is there any way to have caller ID display a different number to the outside party when 911 is dialed or is the only way to correct this is to get additional POTS lines at each location specifically for 911 calls?

I just want to make sure i have this correct. your remote locations has there own PRI's at each location.You have your gateways route internal calls via your network and your external calls you have it setup so your main number show on the Caller ID.

If your setup is as i think it is, there are a few things you can do. You can make a new trunk group just for 911, and route all 911 & 9911 calls across that trunk group. Making sure your trunk group displays a number local to that site. The other option you have, is to get a POTS line and have it setup to route your 911 calls out. When i setup a new site, i always make sure i have 3 pots lines that i can fail over to incase the T-1 goes down...i normally use those as my 911 trunks as well.

Scott

Thanks for the reply Scott. Yes you're correct. I never thought about setting up a different trunk group for the same trunks. The same trunks can appear in different trunk groups? Or are you saying pull a couple channels out of the PRI group to be used specifically for this application, 911?

I believe you can have the same trunks in different trunk groups...its been about a year since i worked on an avaya system so i am a little fuzzy. Give it a try, the worst thing that can happen is it gives you an error.

Scott

I'll give it a try. I know I can use a couple channels in another trunk group so that will work. Traffic at the remotes are very low.
Good thoughts, thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back