Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

70-290 Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephen3rd

Technical User
Feb 2, 2003
GB
Have any of you guys sat 70-290 recently?

Things like number of questions, areas to concentrate on.

Thanks folks!!

70-290 had 45 questions when I took the test.

Even though it's a Server 2003 test, there are several AD questions on it.

There are a couple of hundred possible questions that you can be asked. You'll want to study on everything. All sections are covered in the test.

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]
(My very old site)

stephen3rd,

From a friend who recently took it, I understand that there are now 40 questions, and DNS and DHCP are particularly focused on.

Of course, the format of the exam is supposed to change at the end of March anyway...

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

Hi Stephen3rd
I took 70-290 on 10 March and I had 40 questions, about 50 % it's sharing file and folders with proper types of group (local, global, universal), about 3 questions about IIS, 3 about terminall services , 5 about backup and ASR, 1 with VBScript, 2 roaming profiles, 2 about printing, 2 about drivers, and few that I don't remember what it was.
I pass with 812 points, not good score but it's over me.
regards
Mac Foxx

Thanks, macfoxx. While there were 40 questions on both 70-290 and 70-291, and both will be changinf format toward the end of this month, my DNS and DHCP comment was regarding 70-291, not 70-290.

Sorry for any confusion, macfoxx's review of 70-290 is probably more accurate.

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

It seems that 70-290 will include practical assesments from the end of March, which i would prefer. Multiple choice does seem a bit dated now.

My wife just took the 290 exam. She said that about 8 questions were beta questions using the new format. This cost her a lot because the beta questions are not scorred. This meant that she could only miss something like 3 questions.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

[noevil]
(My very old site)

mrdenny,

Does this mean it would be best to wait until the test has been updated before taking it? I was planning on going this week for it. What do you think?

At this point I would think that it might be better to wait. If those questions were considdered beta then they aren't scorred. That being the case I would say wait. The test will be harder next month, but the scorring will be more favorable.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

[noevil]
(My very old site)

I just sat the exam and I can confirm that there are 40 questions. The breakdown is quite good, I would add that I had Performance and Monitoring questions, SUS, IIS, TS, Backup but no ASR questions, no drivers or scripts. Obviously profiles and files and sharing.

I had a large amount on Groups as well.

Unfortunately I missed by one question... Groups... which is my weakest subject :(

Revision tonight and I will retake it tomorrow. Am actually angry with myself as I knew I was weak on groups :(

dont be angry, be that little bit more ready ;-)

good luck

Aftertaf

"Solutions are not the answer." - Richard Nixon

Took 70-290 today - 44 questions with simulations - Personally having read previous comments about simulations I thought they weren't bad at all. Passed - which is all that counts.

Simulations were OK - at least it tests whether you can actually do the tasks required - and not just theorise....it stops the paper MCSE's who can just learn stuff out of the book Parrot Fashion.

same here - passed 70-290 with simms....the simms are pretty cool actually..i was really worried about them, but there ok....3 or was it 4 sims altogether....

the exam covers all topics!!

J.

hey guys, im going to start studying again for my 290,SO my question is, presently today MAY 3d, for this particular exam,I have the "Microsoft Press" self study books,and a small lab at home, but DO you guys recommend transcender or testking, boson, etc ?? which one ?

If you can pass the new transcender exams then you shouldn't have any issues passing the new exams. I would steer clear of Testking as they have a bad reputation (they infact have questions that are very 'similar' to the exam questions. If you do use TK then use them to gauge your knowledge and not to remember the answers.

Ummm - I would tend to disagree, perhaps for this exam. I worked with the 2003 Server Cert Transcender and only just passed the 290 today. You really have to know 'networking' to pass this exam. I was consistently getting 85% and better on the Transcender and the exam questions were significantly different in calibre.

The transcender questions were heavily weighted with effective permissions and the exam showed more questions on SUS, IIS, Terminal services (one question regarding the GPO settings for Administration accounts).

I actually didn't find much difference between the Testking and Transcender. Both were quite similar in focus.

On another note, the MOAC books are NOT enough to use to pass this exam. There were enough questions that I was able to work out because of the logical process on how a network works but some were downright obscure! In particular the section in the MOAC book on Shadow Volume Copies does not have nearly enough information to answer the questions. I will have to check back through the lab book to see if the labs are where more information is gleaned.

However, I am now past that one and moving onto 291, targeting 3 weeks or so.

Littlelegs, did you use the older version of the transcender or the new version (dated March 2005?) I found that the newer transcenders were a lot better than the older versions.

One word of advice, the MOC books don't cover the required material to pass the exams, for a start there is no mention in the XP MOC books about RIS, nothing in the 290 books either. If you want a decent set of books to revise from then use the MSPress Exam prep books, very worthwhile and has the right information needed to pass the exams.

I feel that anyone attempting this exam without understanding 'networking' is asking for trouble. You also should have a good understanding of Patch Management, GPO's, Shadow Volume copies, backups etc.

You dont need to know RIS for this exam!?!?! i passed and didnt see any questions about this in my prep work or in the actual exam...

but yeh - make sure u know IIS, (including how to backup IIS)...
Backup.exe including when to use incrememntal, differential, normal etc etc
ASR - the steps to perform a restore from ASR....in which circumstance wud u use ASR - eg when all other recovery processes fail
Shadow copies...again when to use them,,...make yourself familiar with the diff tabs of shadow copies...also how u wud restore a previous shadow copy...rmemeber shadow copies are done on volumes and not individual files or folders
Make sure u know what is acceptable thresholds for memory usage, CPU, various disk usage indicators...you will see a question giving u diff stats and asking, what shud be upgraded, CPU, RAM, new disk, Nic etc?!?

And then u got the standard more obvious windows questions, eg groups, permissions,

ok all i can think of now

J.

terminal services trouble shooting..

Oh just remembered - make sure u know SUS - already mentioned by sum1 above....

J.

Thanks everyone for the tips in this thread:

Just passed 70-290 with 890 and I'm happy to have it now!

It was my first exam with Sims and found it actually really cool, but it is just a question of how much of this simulation-action will be recorded and finally taken into account for the points.

Actually 70-294 was much harder than 70-290.

Anyway, will now go on with 70-291 which will be very interesting to study for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back