Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

70-290 Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephen3rd

Technical User
Feb 2, 2003
GB
Have any of you guys sat 70-290 recently?

Things like number of questions, areas to concentrate on.

Thanks folks!!

IT4Req,

I'm glad to hear that you passed, however your experience with 70-294 being more difficult than 70-290 seems to be atypical.

There is no rule that states that one must take the MCSE core exams in a particular order, but usually people do, with 70-290 first, then 70-291, 70-293, and 70-294 final.

I found that each successive exam included material tested in the previous exam(s), so 70-294 could potentially include material already learned for most. If this material wasn't previously studied, I could see where the test would seem difficult.

In my experience, 70-290 was by far the easiest of the bunch.

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

I guess each person finds different exams easier or harder, I for one found the 290 exam to be what I thought fairly easy but infact turned out to be somewhat difficult. I would say that on a scale of 1 - 10 (where 1 is the easiest and 10 the hardest) I would grade the exams as follows.

270 - 1
290 - 10
291 - 8
293 - 4
294 - 4
298 - 5
299 - 8

I didn't need to do an elective because of my existing NT4 MCSE. Of the above exams I only had to resit 290 and 291, the others were passed first time around. Of all of the exams I have sat I found the Security+ the easiest and quickest.

The only thing I can say for the exams is learn more than is required to pass, learn about material that isn't in the exam, I mentioned earlier about RIS not being covered, now whilst it's not covered on the 290 exam it is covered on the 270 (XP) exam and it is something people should know about. The idea of these exams are to show a proficiency in using the product, if you haven't studied it because it's not on the exam then you aren't proficient in my opinion.

Gone are the days of the paper MCSE.

Just to continue with the ranking that SimonDavies proposed, my experiences to date have been a little different. On the same 1 to 10 scale, with 10 the most difficult:

270 - 1
290 - 7
291 - 8
293 - 3
299 - 9

I also had to retake both 70-290 and 70-291, but I feel that this made me study harder, which ultimately lead me to understand the material better. I also had to retake the 70-299, and still have 70-294 and 70-298 still to go for my MCSE: Security.

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back