Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

70-216 or 70-218 ? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcoxx

MIS
Feb 8, 2004
FJ
I just passed the 70-215 Server exam on the 4/8/04 with 805/1000. The exam was tough. I was pretty amazed that I passed considering that only 5 questions from tesking appeared in the exam (not that I don't know my stuff). The materials I used in preparing for the exam were Transcender, Testking, NewRiders 70-240 textbook and about 7 weeks practice on Server 2000.

My goal is to do the MCSA Win2K track first then the MCSE Win2K next. I already got the MCSE NT4 track.

Now which of the following exams do I do next, 70-216 or 70-218? I hear that 70-216 is quite hard - is this true?

Your advice would be appreciated!

MCoxx

I would go for 70-216. I think it's the toughest but most reqarding. Ensure you are fully up to speed with subnetting, TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, Certficate Services and RRAS if you want to pass.

Forget the silly practice tests, ensure you read a good book (Sybex) and set up a practice lab. If you don't have multiple PC's try and obtain a copy of Virtual PC, It is a godsend.

Best of Luck

Andy

Andy Malone MCSE, MCT, CITT

Yeh, i was at the same place and I decided to go for the 216 now I am about to take the 218 sometime this week. I am glad I got through the 216 first.

218 does build on all of the core...

JTB
Have Certs, Will Travel
"A knight without armour in a [cyber] land."

Agree, but with my experience I found that when I completed 70-210, 70-215, 70-216, 70-217 and then 70-218 the last exam was an absolute breeze.

70-216 was IMHO the hardest of all to obtain the MCSE, but after that it was all downhill.

Good Luck

Nzarth

MCSA/MCSE (W2K), CCA

Working on CCNA

After 216, my job feels easy!!

JTB
Have Certs, Will Travel

Since I already had A+ and Net+, I went the 210-215-218 route for MCSA. I'm now studying for 216.

Overclocker
(A+, Net+, MCP, MCSA W2K)

What did you think of 218?

JTB
Have Certs, Will Travel

A LOT of group policy questions.

Overclocker
(A+, Net+, MCP, MCSA W2K)

I took my tests in numerical order, but if your having trouble deciding I suggest going with what has made my decisions in life easier.

Flip a coin. :)

CJ

Don't drink and post, save that for driving home!

70-216 is the hardest I've come accross hands down. It will give you tons of info that will come in handy down the road. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin check out Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.

TTinChicago

FYI, I'm still studying to take 70-216. I'm using my faq on how to pass the tests the first time, and today I finished the first of the 3 transender tests with 100%. 70-216 covers everything from sub-netting to other operating systems. What a pain, but worth it.

[sadeyes]

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.

TTinChicago
Johnson Computers

Working 2 jobs, (One my own, the other a retail store we belong to), has probably been slowing me down. Didn't want people to think the test was impossible, or I'm overly stupid.

[purpleface]

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.

TTinChicago
Johnson Computers

wow sounds like no one likes the 216 exam! That was actually one of the tests i passed first time when i did my 2000 MCSE. I have my 296 today for my 2003 upgrade..... don't you just hate when you click 'end exam' it immedietly pops up with your score?!?! That always freaks me out, heheh.

I only hate it when I click to end the exam and it doesn't come up "Congratulations..."

;-)

JTB
Have Certs, Will Travel

On my way to certification land... got the 210 and 215 without much hassle (tho well stressed during exam). I've decided for now to go MCSA without passing 70-216 (basically, i'm a bit dubious - seems so hard and i dont know my stuff well enough)...
so am gonna take 218 and 228 in june, then try the AD exams... saving the best one for last and who knows, maybe mcse one day soonish!!!

is the real 218 a lot harder than the transcender (which is a bit easy!!!)
and for the 217 & 219, same question applies...

Good luck to all, and to me 2 :)

so far only 216 seemed different than transcender... just because (as I suppose) of the volume of things to learn...

IMO, 216 requires hands-on...

JTB
Have Certs, Will Travel

hehe....

for the 216, totally!!!!
for the others, well i'm getting a bit of practise and revision in at work.

and IMO, dumps are not a good idea, cos i want to pass the MCPs because i have the necessary knowledge, not cos i've stuffed my head with temporary info that will not be of use hands-on time...
if not the whole MCP thing loses its value and prestige (MCP since april this year, so still feeling chuffed:) )

ps. for the 216, communautech have a real nasty one, excellent for learning purposes

218 - pass score 944/1000

a real walk in the park....

tuesday it's sql admin time ...
and it aint gonna be easy (gut feeling!)

if (pass==true)
this.person = MCSA
else
string strSwear = "BUGGER!!!!!"

hehe

congrats aftertaf! good luck!!

JTB
Have Certs, Will Travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search