Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

70-216 or 70-218 ? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcoxx

MIS
Feb 8, 2004
FJ
I just passed the 70-215 Server exam on the 4/8/04 with 805/1000. The exam was tough. I was pretty amazed that I passed considering that only 5 questions from tesking appeared in the exam (not that I don't know my stuff). The materials I used in preparing for the exam were Transcender, Testking, NewRiders 70-240 textbook and about 7 weeks practice on Server 2000.

My goal is to do the MCSA Win2K track first then the MCSE Win2K next. I already got the MCSE NT4 track.

Now which of the following exams do I do next, 70-216 or 70-218? I hear that 70-216 is quite hard - is this true?

Your advice would be appreciated!

MCoxx

thx.....
but like i said, tuesday is sql administration time 70-228, and the transcender is already a bit of a toughie...
and i got a job interview monday...

Decisive week maybe ;)
[peace]
ahh, if only the 216 was a bit easier ;) (then again, mcse shouldnt be too easy, it'd be worth nothing otherwise)

jtb: you got the 216 already...?
and GlenJohnson, still studying hard??

216 beat me up and ate my lunch.

But I passed 1st time by the Grace of God and lots of hands-on practice. I still didn't feel ready and thought I'd failed until the "Congratulations!" showed up on the screen.

Transcender was singularly unhelpful on this one--which is strange since it's a good tool for all the others I took (in fact, harder than the real 219).

292 and 296 are at the plate and in the batter's box... we'll see if I can study, practice, and be the project manager for a Model Office test of SQL Server Replication at the same time...

JTB
Have Certs, Will Travel
"A knight without armour in a [cyber] land."

I would take 218 if you are going for MCSE2003 later, the material seens covered more complete topics than the Windows 2000 only environment

You have to take the 70-216 if you want to become a MCSE 2000, you have no choice in the matter, I took 70-218 then 70-216 , 70-216 was much easyer after studying 70-218 which was a joke,, finish your MCSE 2000 track, I think Micosoft is going to pull the 2000 track soon and it's much easyer to get the MCSE 2000 then take the two uprade exams then it will be working on the 2003 track.

Just curious as to why you would think M$ is going to pull the 2000 track anytime soon.

Overclocker
(A+, Net+, MCP, MCSA W2K)
"If time travel were possible, I'd go back and choose NOT to start IT training."

Even if they don't (and for now it's not programmed anyway...), i think doing the mcse 2000 then upgrading is more interesting from a certification point of view, that way you can be mcsa 2000, mcse2000, then mcsa 2003 then mcse 2003, for a total of 9 mcp... all those lapel badges make you feel like a general :)

btw..... scraped thru 70-228 this morning... MCSA is me :)
MCSE in 3 certifs time... (dreading the 216.....)

[highlight red]and GlenJohnson, still studying hard??[/highlight]
Trying to sell my house, so studying is not an option at this point. Will pick it up after the move.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.

TTinChicago
Johnson Computers

congrats, aftertaf!! 216 is a monster; but manually going through the setup of each function listed in the MS test topics guide will set you on the right path...

Don't fear it... go out there and step on it's neck!!

here is the stuff to study:

Skills measured by exam 70-216

Installing, Configuring, Managing, Monitoring, and Troubleshooting DNS in a Windows 2000 Network Infrastructure
[ul]
[li]Install, configure, and troubleshoot DNS. [/li]
[ul]
[li]Install the DNS Server service. [/li]
[li]Configure a root name server. [/li]
[li]Configure zones. [/li]
[li]Configure a caching-only server. [/li]
[li]Configure a DNS client. [/li]
[li]Configure zones for dynamic updates. [/li]
[li]Test the DNS Server service. [/li]
[li]Implement a delegated zone for DNS. [/li]
[li]Manually create DNS resource records.[/li]
[/ul]
[li]Manage and monitor DNS.[/li]
[/ul]
Installing, Configuring, Managing, Monitoring, and Troubleshooting DHCP in a Windows 2000 Network Infrastructure
[ul]
[li]Install, configure, and troubleshoot DHCP. [/li]
[ul]
[li]Install the DHCP Server service. [/li]
[li]Create and manage DHCP scopes, superscopes, and multicast scopes. [/li]
[li]Configure DHCP for DNS integration. [/li]
[li]Authorize a DHCP server in Active Directory™.[/li]
[/ul]
[li]Manage and monitor DHCP. [/li]
[/ul]
Configuring, Managing, Monitoring, and Troubleshooting Remote Access in a Windows 2000 Network Infrastructure
[ul]
[li]Configure and troubleshoot remote access. [/li]
[ul]
[li]Configure inbound connections. [/li]
[li]Create a remote access policy. [/li]
[li]Configure a remote access profile. [/li]
[li]Configure a virtual private network (VPN). [/li]
[li]Configure multilink connections. [/li]
[li]Configure Routing and Remote Access for DHCP Integration. [/li]
[/ul]
[li]Manage and monitor remote access. [/li]
[li]Configure remote access security. [/li]
[ul]
[li]Configure authentication protocols. [/li]
[li]Configure encryption protocols. [/li]
[li]Create a remote access policy. [/li]
[/ul]
[/ul]
Installing, Configuring, Managing, Monitoring, and Troubleshooting Network Protocols in a Windows 2000 Network Infrastructure
[ul]
[li]Install, configure, and troubleshoot network protocols. [/li]
[ul]
[li]Install and configure TCP/IP. [/li]
[li]Install the NWLink protocol. [/li]
[li]Configure network bindings. [/li]
[/ul]
[li]Configure TCP/IP packet filters. [/li]
[li]Configure and troubleshoot network protocol security. [/li]
[li]Manage and monitor network traffic. [/li]
[li]Configure and troubleshoot IPSec. [/li]
[ul]
[li]Enable IPSec. [/li]
[li]Configure IPSec for transport mode. [/li]
[li]Configure IPSec for tunnel mode. [/li]
[li]Customize IPSec policies and rules. [/li]
[li]Manage and monitor IPSec. [/li]
[/ul]
[/ul]
Installing, Configuring, Managing, Monitoring, and Troubleshooting WINS in a Windows 2000 Network Infrastructure
[ul]
[li]Install, configure, and troubleshoot WINS. [/li]
[li]Configure WINS replication. [/li]
[li]Configure NetBIOS name resolution. [/li]
[li]Manage and monitor WINS. [/li]
[/ul]
Installing, Configuring, Managing, Monitoring, and Troubleshooting IP Routing in a Windows 2000 Network Infrastructure
[ul]
[li]Install, configure, and troubleshoot IP routing protocols. [/li]
[ul]
[li]Update a Windows 2000-based routing table by means of static routes. [/li]
[li]Implement Demand-Dial Routing. [/li]
[/ul]
[li]Manage and monitor IP routing. [/li]
[ul]
[li]Manage and monitor border routing. [/li]
[li]Manage and monitor internal routing. [/li]
[li]Manage and monitor IP routing protocols. [/li]
[/ul]
[/ul]
Installing, Configuring, Managing, Monitoring, and Troubleshooting Certificate Services
[ul]
[li]Install and configure Certificate Authority (CA).[/li]
[li]Issue and revoke certificates.[/li]
[li]Remove the Encrypting File System (EFS) recovery keys.[/li]
[/ul]

JTB
Have Certs, Will Travel
"A knight without armour in a [cyber] land."

Thx man for the congrats, and for the boosting (need it for 216). Gonna go out and stamp all over it, after a month's solid cramming, of course :)

will letcha know
till then, 217 and 219 are on the menu, MCSE here i come!!!!!!!!! [afro]

They want to move ahead , not backwards.. I recommend the 2000 MCSE first then tackle the 2003 mcse like I did, it was much better then just doing the 2003 track, I have now my MCP, MCSA 2000, MCSA 2000 + Security, MCSE 2000, MCSA 2003 and now my MCSE 2003, I have pins from M$ to prove it. I am 6 star General.. LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back