Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

66 or 110 block 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cycochris

IS-IT--Management
Aug 23, 2004
Just out of curiosity, what are most people using for punching down extensions?
On the IP systems I always use patch panels.

But on the small key systems, I'm torn whether to use 110 blocks or 66 blocks.

I prefer the 110 because I can print out labels and it looks cleaner. However, it's more expensive, and less flexible.

We use 66 blocks. I like the fact they are easier to punch down and easier to work with over all. We still use them with key systems, especially since there usually are not a ton of tail cables, compared to a larger PBX.

I have used 110 when space is an issue, since the horizontal layout tends to be more flexible, but I would rather use 66.

Scott M.

station cables and riser cable always on 110. 66 to extend a dmark. For me space is always an issue.

Try Bix sometime. There neat, compact, and easy to work with if there done properly.

I'm not familiar with BIX, or at least not by that name.

see the following:

bix6xd.jpg

One thing about bix is you need to use the correct tool to terminate or you risk flexing the strip and loosening the connections on the back.

The answer has always been 42

The number 1 issue for me is to be consistent in the TR; if there are already 66, I use 66. Changing between 66 and 110 is a pain. It is annoying to punch down and a bigger pain to troubleshoot.

In a greenfield site, I really like the Systimax Visipatch system. It is basically a 110 system on steriods. It uses 110 C4/C5 clips to terminate the wire, but the mounting bracket is different. Voice circuits are built with cross connect wire, like usual, so you have full flexiblity to use the pairs anyway you need. Data connections are made with special patchcords that have 110 clip on one end and an RJ-45 plug on the other. The 110 clip has a 180 deg fold, so you end up with a nice neat panel. The clip also has a label space on the end! Patch panels take up way too much space and are twice the cost of Visipatch. I also think Visipatch easier and faster to install.

For the PBX rooms, I've been playing with Krone and Systimax's Z-IDC system. Both use a special test plug which allows you to open the circuit and test in either direction *without* touching cross-connect. I like the system but they are a bit pricey. I like them on the switch port side but they are a bit overkill (and pricey!) on the cable side. Given my stated aversion to mixing termination methods within a TR, I've not wholly convinced they are the way to go.

The only thing about Bix or 110 is that voice connections are always changing. This means that you are constantly removing the jumpers and moving them to another. This will wear out the blades on the connectors and cause poor connections. Next you will have to reterminate you cables. 66 blocks on the other hand will never wear out. If they spread out a little too much, just use a pair of needle nose and mash it back together.

Mikey

Everything wears out. I have been using BIX since they came out (late 70s or early 80s) and I have never had to replace one yet. I have had the odd one that was not made rite. With the price of space that customers have to rent 66 blocks take away to much room and dont look as neat. I will stick to BIX. Any additions, I use what was there before 66, BIX,. I guess people would still use 30D Blocks if they could get them. They would NEVER wear out but they would take forever to tie down.

What is a 30D block? I use 66 mostly. I have used 110 a few times.

jeff moss

A 30D block was used before they had 66 type blocks. Really old.

Screw type with a couple of nuts and a few washers in between.

Seen those before on old protectors and entrance panels. I thought those were called binding posts.

jeff moss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back