Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

66 or 110 block 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cycochris

IS-IT--Management
Aug 23, 2004
Just out of curiosity, what are most people using for punching down extensions?
On the IP systems I always use patch panels.

But on the small key systems, I'm torn whether to use 110 blocks or 66 blocks.

I prefer the 110 because I can print out labels and it looks cleaner. However, it's more expensive, and less flexible.

Western Electric/AT&T had a number for everything.

The answer has always been 42

Bix blocks are too hard to use.....you have to make a small investment in them to take care of them (the cables, special tool and so on) the tool alone is hard to come by and you normally have to order it from your local supply store and if you need to replace it, then you have to go back to that same guy. Hurts when you are out of town on an install and cant replace your blade. A 66/110 tool on the other hand can usually by found at the local home improvement store. I dont have a preference except not to use BIX or Krome blocks

To error is human.....if the machine doesnt work, then KICK IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

All depends on the situation and who you are.

Of course if space is an issue 110,bix or crone are desirable. If you really want to save space try wire wrap hehe most pepole hate them.

Most installers like 110 blocks because they are faster, especally if you are using 24 termination type. They also like them because the installation looks cleaner.

For me I prefer a good old 66 block any day if you have the room. I have been an installer but I also do service work most of the time. 66 blocks are 10 times easier to troubleshoot and doesn't require special tools such as a mod tap. Also do I need to mention that you usually have two or three punch downs before you need to replace the 110 clip especially if your punch is off.

Thats just my opinion...
[thumbsup2]

If you are going to do a large frame, go BIX, it also becomes it's own wire manager and makes keeping a frame neat a simple task. Labeling the frame is the easiest of all to me. Both for pair count for risers or for station wiring. Easy to maintain and easy for trouble shooting.

All the newer installation after the demarc in Quebec are done in BIX. I've seen the 66 block in older buildings but if you call Bell or any telecom service provider in a business environment they will install BIX.

I see there are BIX lovers here but think they are just another form of the 110 block,with a special tool etc involved.
Nothing wrong with them nor 110 but I agree about the primary reason for using one over the other is space and ease of troubleshooting.(for instance if you have a bad punch down correcting it on a 110 is a pain).

The conclusion is use what you like and what you have to for the application and area.

For PBX's you can get both 66 and 110 with the connections for apmhl connectors.

Good Luck

The real issue here is the application.

On a new build, I agree that 110 blocks are probably a better way to go. BIX are neat, but how neat are they if you don't have the tool -- I see that as a problem for overall efficiency.

TouchToneTommy will point out that it's a pain to pop a buttset on a 110 block. I agree, but I think it's just another tool you NEED to have on you, that being a 110 block lead for your buttset.

The other thing to evaluate is -- what does your LEC use? Here, all 66 blocks -- even on new demarcs. Elsewhere, I've seen only 110 demarcs. Who wants to switch tools constantly? not me.

But, in the end, in a new installation -- I believe that high density is key. 110 blocks are the way to go, and BICSI may have a standard on this coming up.

I believe the previous poster's statement on not reinventing the wheel is key. Don't mix and match, use what's there -- an installer who comes after you will appreciate it.

Sidenote: for cross connect cables, I believe that 110 blocks are a better choice. Allows fast termination, high density, and little nonsense.

Krone 10pair IDS modules are the standard in Australia good for High density or low very easy to cross connect

Krone 237 blocks are prety much the standard here in the UK.

Fair better (and neater from the pics shown here) than these 66/110 blocks.

Self contained boxs come in 10pr, 20pr, 30pr, 50, and 100pr. Easily extended by putting another box next to the existing.

Jamie Green

Fooball is not a matter of life and death-It is far more important!!!!

I appears this subject has been beat to death however I'd like to see more pics to back up everyone's statements. I'm getting to ready to reinstall a Coral III cabinet (Tadiran) in an environment containing 2 Coral III cabinets, consolidating in other words. Tadiran suggests 66 blocks in all their diagrams so that's what I'll use. I will complete this project end of September and add pics.

Larry Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back