Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

66 Block tutorials 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmdowns

Instructor
Jan 24, 2003
US
I am looking for photos on the web that can accompany instructional text i have written concerning the termination of wiring on 66 blocks. This is for people who have never done this before so I need REAL BASIC stuff and illustrations.
Does anyone have any links and/or existing photos that can be sent to me to assist in this project?

Here are a few reasons to be PRO-66.

REASON 1

With 66 blocks, you can wet your index finger on each hand, touch your probe up to your finger on one hand, and run your other finger down a block and fine tone.

BIX blocks (I've never used one, but from what I've seen and read) are just like 110 -- hidden in plastic, you can't even touch the contacts. That would take a bit longer to find tone, secondly -- you can't short a pair as easily with BIX, shorting a pair with 66 to check to make sure that the tone you detect is the correct one is as easy as placing your probe's tip across the pair.

REASON 2

66 blocks are EVERYWHERE. Sure, we could start a trend and replace them with BIX blocks -- but they're never going away (66). Why reinvent the wheel when the benefit is minimal?

REASON 3

I haven't seen that many 66 blocks fail, crumble, or whatever -- and if they are, maybe your wiring closet is a bit too exposed to the elements.

REASON 4

Replacing or putting in a new 66 block costs nearly nothing, they're cheap as all hell. Bix blocks are not. 110 blocks aren't that bad, but they aren't anywhere near as quick as a 66 block.

REASON 5

A 66 punchdown blade is a whole lot less mechanical than a BIX blade. And cheaper too...

Bottom line? BIX is more expensive, doesn't have as many uses, and wouldn't be beneficial enough for me to justify replacing other blocks, or using them for installs.

Reason 1?
You dont have to wet your finger to do that unless you have a cheap toner and probe set lol and you can also do that on the BIX by running your finger on the cut wires....works just as good.
You can short a pair easily with the flat blade of the probe at the same place.

Reason 2?
They are most certianly not everywhere up here and the trend was started long ago and as for benefits they most certianly are not minimal as clearly stated above. We have almost rid our country of that 66 cheap crap.

Reason 3?
Did somebody mention that 66 falls apart? I know that BIX and 110 also do not fall apart.

Reason 4?
Most of us put in quality and not cheap products and we wish those who use cheap products would get the hell out of this industry and go play with their meccano set instead and 66 faster then 110 or BIX? you have got to be kidding me LMAO!

Reason 5?
You never need to sharpen a BIX punch and they arent that bloody expensive...unless you have a habit of loosing them all the time. The BIX tool is well designed with no mainteniance required.

Bottom line?
You have not right to comment as you did if you have never used them before....reading is a far cry from on hands experience.

Ok I had my fun...cheers dude lol.
spoclogo2.jpg

No need to get intense bro.

We're all just providing one another with insight...

You have to wet your finger to get a good connection between your body and the probe.

Secondly, the point of doing that is to get a connection directly to the contact, not through the sheathing on cut wires or whatever -- that's no good.

I don't know, I like it our way just fine. I've used 110 for I don't know how long, and I think it's great for data (networking) because it's a lot more idiot proof... but 66 is great for phones.

Bill started something with this LOL. I think what this boils down to is what you are used to. Their are a lot of products and more coming out every day to replace or try to, 66 blocks. I dont believe that any of us will ever get completely away from 66 blocks unless you have the pleasure of just working in all new buildings. I also believe that all these other products have their place. In my case the whole infrastucture of our complex on the telephone side of the house was already set up with 66 blocks. I was also trained by some old bell/at&t guys so that explains that. One last thing also " if it works don't fix it." I am sure that the 110,bix,66 block people all agree with that on what they use. If you find any mistakes, please consider that they are there for a purpose. And everyone needs a purpose.
Hope this helps, Mikey.

I have helped with several phone and data installations (with my dad's company) in the past couple years.
Only once, for one connection (in a specific job)did we use a 110 block. Every other connection in that job and all other jobs I worked on used 66 blocks. I can count on one hand the number of 110 blocks they have in stock in their warehouse. I use 66 blocks all the time at home as well. jeff moss

Quote:
"Bill started something with this"
Yep lol
Quote:
"No need to get intense bro"
All though I was trying to be funny..maybe it was to intense, my apologies.

Quote:
"I use 66 blocks all the time at home as well"
How big is your home?
lol.gif

[tongue]

HEY GUYS
Really, I promise I wasn't trying to start ANYTHING, but it kind of took on a life of it's own.
If you read my original text you will see I was looking for illustrations only.
As it has been noted here, 66s won't go away any time soon because there are still a lot of people that firmly believe in them, plus they are EVERYWHERE!
The reason I was looking for them is because they ARE everywhere and I need to teach people how to work on existing inside plant.
As far as I am concerned, we have kind of been beating on the same old horse for a while now.
Ain't it dead already????????

I have a bunch of stuff set up in the basement of my house (my workshop) and I used 66 blocks for my phone connections, since I ran a bunch of phone cabling and jacks around the room. jeff moss

What is this "son" stuff?
I , for the record, am 46 and one of the last of the true "Bell Shaped Heads."
I started with what was "Mountain Bell" in 1978.
66 blocks were a way of life then, and I spent my first 4 months out in the field doing nothing but punching down 66 blocks.

wmdowns, the how old are you and "son" was in reference to jeffmoss26.

I gave you a star even if you dont like 66 blocks.

LOL

LOL If you find any mistakes, please consider that they are there for a purpose. And everyone needs a purpose.
Hope this helps, Mikey.

Curlycord, Thanks a lot.
That is exactly what I wanted.
I think I will give you a star as well......

Those are nice sites. Is the Hubbell stuff from a new catalog? jeff moss

Thanks, I checked it out earlier. I am looking for a 2003 print version of their catalog but couldn't find a request form on their site. jeff moss

You have to wet your finger to get a good connection between your body and the probe.

not in my part of the world where 85% hummidity is a dry day :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back