Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

66 Block tutorials 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmdowns

Instructor
Jan 24, 2003
US
I am looking for photos on the web that can accompany instructional text i have written concerning the termination of wiring on 66 blocks. This is for people who have never done this before so I need REAL BASIC stuff and illustrations.
Does anyone have any links and/or existing photos that can be sent to me to assist in this project?

Wow, interesting discussion. Can't resist stirring the pot a bit.

First...I think there have been plenty of reasons listed for using 66 blocks, but lets just highlight a couple. They are less expensive, can be Cat5 compliant, are super for RJ21x type service where you want to bridge and unbridge easily, and they have a huge installed base. The ability to bring a bunch of lines in on one side and send them each out to 3 locations is super IF that is the type of installation you have. Having done a lot of broadcast work, we use a belden solid single pair shielded wire, and many sources have up to 4 other places they are sent to. 66 blocks are most efficient for testing, and allow easy meter lead placement for testing. Just becuase you feel BIX is superior to all others, doesn't mean it is practical for everyone to abandon their current system and go with yours. Hell if we did that with every new telecom widget that came out, we'd be replacing wire and connectors and systems weekly.

Second...Installing BIX on new installations is not at all the right answer if you have an existing cable plant of another type. If your horizontal cabling is terminated on 110's for example, and you are installing a new PBX, it would be downright a pain in the butt to have to run jumpers with 110 on one end, and BIX on the other. It is clearly of NO advantage to the customer or service guy. I would not likely design or accept a design with that plan.

Oh before I forget, someone said something about using an aluminum ladder and leaning against the BIX blocks without shorting. Wow. If you are doing cabling/wiring/electrical with an aluminum ladder, you are freaking nuts anyway. The sheer safety aspect alone should be clear to anyone in the industry.

SO the big question is "what is the best?" Do you suppose there is a reason that many central offices wire wrap and/or solder? Sure there is, it is quite likely the best (least resistive, least problematic) connection for the service. So why don't we do that in the field? Generally because it is easier (read=cheaper) to terminate wiring on IDC type connectors. Of course all IDC connectors are not the same, but they are similar. So when choosing the 'best' solution for your customer you should be weighing what is the most cost effective, technically solid solution. In many many installations, simple cabling and jumpers in telco closets that are already layed out with 66 blocks, adding one 66 block is way smarter than throwing a BIX in the mix.

New installations where you are starting from scratch you should weigh what is important to your customer. Does BIX offer lower connectivity resistance over 110 thereby making a noticable difference in connectivity? I doubt it. Is the BIX solution less expensive for the customer? Likely not. Is the installation so tight for space that the change from 110 layout to BIX will allow you to do the install. Hardly ever.

curleycord you made some interesting comments, and if you wish I can sure show you what a broken 110 AND BIX block look like, they aren't indestructable. Also, my freaking BIX blade doesn't cut after hundreds of terminations, so..they do fail. I do have a 110 adapter as well as a BIX adapter for my buttset, oddly enough the angled clips that come with almost any quality buttset fit right over the ole 66 block with no extra adapter. I figured you sounded a bit arrogant for a cable guy, then re-read the posts and see you are a programmer.

Personally I don't spec or buy or install BIX unless there is a reason. Frankly, if they make a better (less resistance, less troublesome) connection than the 110, I've never seen it. If the existing installation is BIX, I would quite likely add to it to be consistant even though BIX is more expensive for no apparent benefit. But, we don't see them much anymore. The last 10 Northern Telecom installs I've been on the Technicians won't even use them, they bring 110's for the install. Go figure.

Good Luck!

It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

Quore:
" Hell if we did that with every new telecom widget that came out, we'd be replacing wire and connectors and systems weekly."

LMAO! yes they sure came out with a lot of widget's in the last 20 yrs eh? NOT!

Quote:
"Second...Installing BIX on new installations is not at all the right answer if you have an existing cable plant of another type. If your horizontal cabling is terminated on 110's for example, and you are installing a new PBX, it would be downright a pain in the butt to have to run jumpers with 110 on one end, and BIX on the other. It is clearly of NO advantage to the customer or service guy. I would not likely design or accept a design with that plan."

Gee I cant imagine anyone doing that also....110 beside BIX? thats too funny! since they are both almost the same format ya know?.

Quote:
"Oh before I forget, someone said something about using an aluminum ladder and leaning against the BIX blocks without shorting. Wow. If you are doing cabling/wiring/electrical with an aluminum ladder, you are freaking nuts anyway. The sheer safety aspect alone should be clear to anyone in the industry.
Like I said there are cheap vendors out there that supply thier techs with those ladders but even worse the cable pullers also....I agree on the safety factor bigtime!"

Quote:
"SO the big question is "what is the best?" Do you suppose there is a reason that many central offices wire wrap and/or solder? Sure there is, it is quite likely the best (least resistive, least problematic) connection for the service. So why don't we do that in the field? Generally because it is easier (read=cheaper) to terminate wiring on IDC type connectors. Of course all IDC connectors are not the same, but they are similar. So when choosing the 'best' solution for your customer you should be weighing what is the most cost effective, technically solid solution. In many many installations, simple cabling and jumpers in telco closets that are already layed out with 66 blocks, adding one 66 block is way smarter than throwing a BIX in the mix."

We are big on doing away with 66 up here due to the many reasons listed already.

Quote:
"curleycord you made some interesting comments, and if you wish I can sure show you what a broken 110 AND BIX block look like, they aren't indestructable. Also, my freaking BIX blade doesn't cut after hundreds of terminations, so..they do fail. I do have a 110 adapter as well as a BIX adapter for my buttset, oddly enough the angled clips that come with almost any quality buttset fit right over the ole 66 block with no extra adapter. I figured you sounded a bit arrogant for a cable guy, then re-read the posts and see you are a programmer."

Well if you take a bloody hammer to them sure they will break...also there are plenty of blackmarket type BIX products out there that you can brake very easily with your hands. My condoences on your freakin BIX tool! I have had mine for about 12 years now and works better than a new one. As for the adapter for BIX I made my point about it allready....speedy adaptor vs struggling with clips lol.
Arrogant? hmmmm....well this is not your first cheap shot at me on these forums so consider me used to it now lol.
Yes Darrin I am a programmer....ever wonder how I got to where I am now? the wizard waved his wand and poof! here I am.

Quote:
"Personally I don't spec or buy or install BIX unless there is a reason. Frankly, if they make a better (less resistance, less troublesome) connection than the 110, I've never seen it. If the existing installation is BIX, I would quite likely add to it to be consistant even though BIX is more expensive for no apparent benefit. But, we don't see them much anymore. The last 10 Northern Telecom installs I've been on the Technicians won't even use them, they bring 110's for the install. Go figure."

I cant recall and problems with BIX in over 17 yrs and that goes for 66 and 110 but we all agreed on that.
BIX is more expensive for many reason listed above and saves you on labour BIGTIME!
As for the last 10 tech's using 110? I guess they are smart guys who agree with me then...
"66 SUCKS and smart cable pullers do it with yellow 77"

lol
:p

spoclogo2.jpg

I was prepared to have a battle of wits....but I see you are unarmed.

Enjoy your Bix sire, I'm sure someday they will rule the telecom world.

It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

Hey all,

Just a question on expense. In Canada BIX rails cost about $7.00 each and mounting frames about $12.00. How does this compare in the US and to 110?
Anyone know where the distribution center for the product is?

PhM

In my 30 years in telecom I still like the 66 block best, not because it is cheaper but I like to use a bridging clip between both sides instead of using both sides. this way I can open the circuit to look both ways on the cable to find the problem easier. I have used both the BIX and the 110 blocks and between the two I prefer the BIX.

Just my 2 cents

Ace,
So... I really was curious about all the price claims ... both ways. Any comment re pricing comparison?

PhM

Well,

On the tools side of things. A 66 or 110 blade runs about 18 bucks according to a couple vendors I looked at, while a bix blade goes for around 40-50.

As far as the blocks are concerned, I can't even find them.

A 66 Block runs about $5.oo and an 89 Bracket runs about $.89 a 110 block with legs runs about $10.00 - $12.00 depending on brand. I don't know what a bix goes for down here.

My 2 cents: I have been in telecom in private sector since just after dereg. (20 years now) We have used 66 blocks in large quantities. They are a necessary evil. I like em. I install em. I don't always prefer em. (BTW, I am from Texas) If given my preference, when I design a system, I would prefer to terminate everything to a modular port of a patch panel. It makes moves and changes a snap and identification is a breeze. This is not realistic for most companies though because when some one named it a telecom closet, some architect thought that meant it was a small little room. Patch Panels require a larger footprint and limit access to the unused pairs of the infrastructure without the use of adapters. One reason many people wouldn't do it if they could is that it takes the moves and changes out of the hand of the vendor and empowers the client/customer to do their own "cross connects". I am a vendor and I like MAC orders. But I also do design and when doing so, the clients interest come first. So I guess what I am saying is it's all good....

Yee Haw..

Larry McNeill, RCDD
lmcneill@rx-tech.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back