Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

509 ext 12 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

djtt

Vendor
Aug 8, 2008
US
Reinstalled a 509 and can not get the ext. 12 to come up. Plugged in the set display back light lights then turns on and off. No display. Checked the block. I get dial tone and 48 volts. I tried to reboot and restore, power up and down. Could the port be bad maybe it was shorted out during reinstall?

I have not tried a complete initialization yet. Rest of the system is ok. Only using 4 Partner sets on this small system with 5 lines.

Anyone have this happen before?

My guess is if you tried the set plugged directly into the port at the 509 Module and also tried another set and the same conditions happen, then you have a bad port.

....JIM....

Thanks. What do you think could have happened to the port during the move?

I wouldn't think anything related to the move would cause it I would initialize the system and see if that helps

Thanks. I will try that. Strange how I can get IC dial tone at the block and the display lights but it will not display anything.

are you testing "at the block " or plugging directly into the module ?

I would be testing directly at the module

Tested at the module and the block the same thing happens at both. I tried to reset module to factory default but the F982 would not work. This is a 509 is there a different reset procedure.

I also pulled the batteries out and the BU Restore and tried it that way. The problem is there. Usually when there is a bad port it is DOA not like this. I have not worked on many 509's.

Feature 989 CLEAR (25327) is the reset

Joe W.

FHandw., ACS

If you can't be good, be good at it!

If it did happen during the move, you should check to make sure the pins inside the port for x12 haven't been bent out of shape causing the main pair to still connect, but the outer pair to not connect (you'd get dial-tone with a test set, but it wouldn't properly power a Partner phone).

That is a good suggestion I did not even think about that. This install used the smaller 4 pin conductor RJ11c type plug instead of the larger 8 conductor pins and you are right they sure could have moved all over the place. We just pulled it off the wall and moved the 66 block and the cables still plugged into the PROC unit to the new location. It was just a few feet but that is what may have happened.

I will check it tonight and let you know.

Thanks!

The plugs looked ok. I opened up the PROC module and |I noticed that there are 9 wafers there which I assume that are used for each extension. These can be removed. Could the one for the port for Ext-12 be bad and if so since we only use 4 exts. on this system can I just swap it with lets the port for Ext-18 or just swap and leave the one for ext empty?

Can |I get a replacement for this part? | If so do you have a supplier you can suggest|?

Why? And how about repair? I sent it into Metroline and they have a flat rate 150.00 with a 90 day warranty.

Could it have been caused by static or power surge?

They may not be an Avaya BP, but I have never had any issues with their service on Avaya equipment other than being sent someone else module by mistake, and they handled all shipping to get it right. I also usually get a year warranty with advance replacement on equipment I purchase from them.

....JIM....

Their service and support over the years has been excellent and I will continue using them. Their pricing is the best as well.

I have purchased from Metroline and had very few problems with them. The few problems I have run into were resolved in very short order.

It is my understanding that, at one time, they were an Authorized Avaya Business Partner but decided to go Gray Market.

If it ain't broke, I haven't fixed it yet.

This Partner Module was purchased by the customer brand new. I was on site to install it a few years ago. I did not purchase it from Metroline myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back