Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

509 ext 12 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

djtt

Vendor
Aug 8, 2008
US
Reinstalled a 509 and can not get the ext. 12 to come up. Plugged in the set display back light lights then turns on and off. No display. Checked the block. I get dial tone and 48 volts. I tried to reboot and restore, power up and down. Could the port be bad maybe it was shorted out during reinstall?

I have not tried a complete initialization yet. Rest of the system is ok. Only using 4 Partner sets on this small system with 5 lines.

Anyone have this happen before?

djtt.... Technicaly you installed and support it. That alone jeopordizes your contract with Avaya. I am pretty sure that your customer would listen to you if you told them to buy authentic.
Just remember Gray Market killed Nortel. We dont want this to happen to Avaya.
Cheers.

Yea, what contract with Avaya??

Why would an Avaya module or phone purchased from Metroline jeopardize anything that Avaya does or affect any service agreement? The equipment Metroline sells is genuine Avaya equipment, not some knock-off from China or other.

I purchase from Metroline all the time for several clients that have Avaya service agreements and have had no trouble at all replacing or servicing the hardware by Avaya when needed.

....JIM....

This part was purchased by the customer even before I came on the scene. I only installed it I did not buy or resell it.

I suppose a quick scan of an Avaya Service Agreement would shed some light. I have never seen an actual service agreement, but I'm going off of what others who have seen them have said.

A camp that I have ties to uses a Partner Plus telephone system that is covered by an Avaya Service Agreement. The camp's director told me that every month they send a check to Avaya (not an A.B.P.) and if something goes wrong with a telephone or system module, they call Avaya (not an A.B.P.) for service. If a phone goes bad Avaya sends them a replacement.

My understanding is that adding a piece of equipment that was not purchased through an Authorized Avaya Business Partner to a telephone system that is covered by Avaya, would void the Service Agreement.

If it ain't broke, I haven't fixed it yet.

Just to clarify the gray market stuff comes from the same manufacturing plant where your high level and higher priced "original" Avaya stuff comes from. So if Avaya tells you that there will be a problem for you selling or installing something not directly purchased through their "official" channels then tell them one thing.
If they sell it to those gray market providers they get their money for the part just as well so they should shut up or stop selling to everyone with a cheque book.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACS

If you can't be good, be good at it!

A discussion of the Gray Market would make a good topic in the General Telephony forum. I'll start the ball rolling.

If it ain't broke, I haven't fixed it yet.

Government uses Avaya because Avaya is the best system out there. Avaya intends to keep it this way. There are distributers that are responsible for reporting anyone that is not BP and sells not authorised Avaya equipment. I heard that Avaya is after Metro and they are suing them big time. I dont think any of you would put something from Metro or other Gray Market seller in any government agency. I think everyone wants to sleep at night. This is for your information and wether you like it or not something is about to start. I did see couple of Gray Market guys stoped selling Partners and IP Offices on ebay. What are you going to do in case $300 processors are no longer there and you have to use Jenne or Catalyst?
Its not easy to become an Avaya Business Partner.Its not easy starting selling authentic business phone system. However, going this way will bring you reputation. With that comes 100% markup on equipment and billable hourly rates.
I am all in for Authentic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back