Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

5.7.1 Unable to Relay error ??? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pctekk

MIS
Sep 28, 2002
US
What would cause this to happen occasionally ??
I have my users, open the bounced email and click RESEND
then it goes through.

thanks gang

You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administrator.
<server.home.local #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for bob@domain.com>

Are you using Mailsweeper or a relay server to forward mail to Exchange? What's your setup?

We have the same problem (and also "Relaying denied. IP name possibly forged") with Mailsweeper for SMTP forwarding to Exchange 2000.

Were using netIQ Mailmarshal on Server A sending email to MS Exchange 2k on Server B, then Server B sends out directly.

have you found a solution ??

No, not yet. We are evaluating GFI MailEssentials, which uses IIS's SMTP server to relay, so we're hoping it's a problem with how Mailsweeper relays...

It could also be DNS checks the destination SMTP server is running. Does the hostname of your relay server match your MX record?

ie. MX: mail.domain.com
Hostname of relay server: mail

Ours doesn't. It shouldn't need to, but there may be some DNS checks being run that stop the relaying.

Dont go w/ GFI !! support sucks and product isnt worth it. We had that prior to netIQ which is way better and had dedicated 3rd party support help install over the phone w/ all our questions and issues, even to this day. Great product !

i have contact info if you need.

having the same problem with my users we applied SP4 for W2k recently I suspect his may be causing the problem. have you found any resolution so far?

Nada !!

happens still
i reopen and click RESEND

This sounds like an authentication issue for your outgoing SMTP server. Go into your email settings and check the "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication" and then select the "Use same settings as my incoming mail server" radio button. I had this same issue and it fixed the problem.

Hope this helps.

In the system manager ?? is this on the smtp connector ??

My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication" and then select the "Use same settings as my incoming mail server" radio button.

It's on your pop client software setup.

ooooo
noooooooo

were using Exchange 2000 w/ Outlook
no Pop's.

our Outlook clients are getting this error

thanks tough

It's interesting that resending or creating a new message works, rather than replying (which produces the error).

Could it be related to header checking? I'm clutching at straws here...

We have resolved this problem here, it seems we had a user with a virus accessing the systen via VPN once a day that was causing the prob :-(

i wish we had a vpn, we just open the bounced email,
click Resend

We had some POP clients recently who would get the unable to relay message, but they were only getting this message when they would reply to certain e-mails that they received... not newly generated ones. The odd thing was that the NDR said unable to relay for the person they were replying to, not the name of the user who was sending the message. So if joe@mydomain.com was replying to a message he got from sally@otherdomain.com, the NDR would say "Unable to relay for sally@otherdomain.com". Somehow, it appeared as it thought the mail was coming from "sally" and not "joe". They were users in a remote office and they haven't complained about it lately, so I never got to resolve it.

I am having the same problem. It is intermittent and gives this error:
You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administrator.
<Servername.domain name.com #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for <To_user@To_domain.com>>
I am running exch 2000 with srvpack 3. This has been going on for about 2 weeks.
Have you gotten any answers?

no sir.

nada........

just have them open undelivered and click resend.

i did notice sometimes/usually when sending to same domain, ie... joebob.com

which is weird also.........

I had the same issue with a few domains and it happened intermittently. I think I've isolated the problem...so far so good.

The default maximum hop count is 15 hops. I trace routed one of the domains that was erroring out and it had 23 hops.

I increased my SMTP servers maximum hop count to 30 and it is relaying to that domain now without a problem. I'll let you know if it stays that way.

Great thanks i'll wait to hear from you.
btw...its been a while but that smtp hop count setting is in the smtp properties in sys manager on the exch. srver
correct ??
thanks todd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back