Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

46xx Phone and remote offices 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NX01

MIS
Apr 21, 2004
US
I have a few remote offices that connect into our LAN via VPN. One or two people sharing a dsl static ip connection. I would say they are using 20% of the bandwidth. I want to deploy 4610's to them but I get alot of errors. Mainly Subnet Conflict ( I have no idea how it could have a subnet conflict) and a L2 or xxxsrc.scr loop.

How have you succesfully connected remote offices? Details would be great.

In the future everything will work...

VPN how? Software VPN on the desktop (can run IP hardphones that way) or a hardware solution like a Lucent mini-brick?

-CL

We currently do this with a VPN connection on a firewall from thr remote site, we have 6 phones connected this way. If you are running a software VPN on the PC you will not be able to run a hardphone across this VPN.

(can run IP hardphones that way)" mistyped CAN'T.

-CL

It looks like this 46XX--->vpn router ---->internet---->Checkpoint Firewall--->PBX

Any takers? Has anyone deployed these as such?

Never seen it done that way NX01. I have seen and installed 4600's over a WAN, but never going through the Internet. IP Softphone Telecommute is the preferred way if traversing across the Internet.

we have deployed this type of setup. we typically use a better grade of circuit as our primary transport for ip hardphones (frame relay or Pt to pt, has less hops) We have with a VPN connection (not PC, a CISCO router VPN) as a backup. A good vpn connection such as SDSL works better than an ADSL

we have been doing this quite well. We had a presentation at the INAAU in new orleans describing what we did and how we did it. The technology works well, but there are some need to knows.

Goober, if you still have the presentation I would love to read it. What VPN did you use? IPSec, PPTP? Which Cisco router? I have the option for SDSL, so I may be able to emulate what you have done. "Enquiring minds want to know"

NX01,
i will get you the presentation. We do a flavor of Cisco Routers, but it does work well in the 2610, 2611XM for a typical office setup. Our site to site vpn tunnels use IPSEC. Also, what works well for us is we separted the IP phones in it's own vlan and pc's in another VLAN and invoked
QOS in the configs.

Is there any special settings on the IP phone besides vlan?

where are your phones getting their IP addresses from, locally configured, main office dhcp server?

I set up the ip phones with a static IP off the main office dhcp.

NX01,

Actually, there are a couple things you will need to do.
get your router's configured for QOS. We don't share
PVC's with Voice and Data. If you can get seperate PVC's, the better. Equate your PVC size to erlangs. If you have 40 IP phones, you can assume not everybody will not be on the phone at the same time.. In a call center environment, your erlangs are higher.. On average for 20 IP phones and 256K PVC will work (G729).

Configure your switches.. I can get you the specifics. Remember switches are definately different (layer 2, layer 3).

Get the phone code on a TFTP Server

Configure OPTION 176 on your DHCP Scope. This will tell where to point the TFTP files and the CLAN IP address.

On the phone itself, they are DHCP and follow suit via the Option 176 string.

Not to mention the PBX side like the CLAN, IP interface, Network region.

it's not that hard.. The trick is the QOS stuff and offer near toll quality service. Our quality is very good and we do not have any choppy voice in our network. Most of the problems we had were related to Calls on the DS1 board and echo cancellation and the Loss Group values.. Echo is caused by the TDM carrier, DS1 Card, Phones and headsets.
It is usually not caused by the data network.

Unfortunately we would have to share a voice/data over a ADSL line. It is rated at 6mps/600kps. (There are only two users) I will let you know how it goes. My first road block is finding a router that will run the pptp client.

So I got the phones connected via a router. The phones hit the clan, but there is no voice. I do a list trace stat XXXX and it shows up as a regular call. If I answer the call, there is no voice on either side.

NX01,

So, your phones register, with not a problem?
When you make a test call, status the station while off hook and see what medpro you are connecting to.. You should see that under the audio channel portion.

Check your ip settings of your med pro and make sure they match from the pbx to the LAN switchport. I recommend do
100/full.

Goober,

Can you send me that presentation you spoke of? I would really like to see it. TIA

-Bunkman

Goober,

I would really like to see your presentation also.

Thanks,
Mrkim

NX01-

I'm going to be testing a similar setup.

Let me know what you have and I'll share my experinces as well.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back