Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

4600 series phone with VPNRemote and IP Office

Status
Not open for further replies.

khayulay

Technical User
Feb 27, 2005
US
Hi,

Is anyone know the new 4600 series phone with VPNRemote feature is supported on IP Office or only on Communication Manager platform? Anyone tried with IP office? Seems very interesting feature.

Thanks.

This seems to be working. However this feature currently is not supported on IP Office.

Nope don't know if it working with ip office. I use 46xx series phones on vpn tunnel and had problems. 56xx phones work great though.

Hey guys,

I just downloaded the docs on this.

We have an issue with connecting a user in a remote location - his phone keeps dying after a few hours.

This looks like just the ticket.

I'm going to give it a try in my testlab - I'll let you know what I find out.

- Mike

I've tested this for a few days with Comm Manager and IP Office and haven't had phones dying or any other problems. I'll have an IP Office client with a few of them soon so we'll see how it does in the real world.

Whoops! I think I jumped the gun here...

What are the requirements to make this work?

We have an IP Office 403 in our main office - I don't believe we have Communications Manager.

I thought at first glance that the VPNRemote for the 4600s would let you connect to the IP Office directly. It would appear you need the Communications Manager software to make this work, correct?

Sorry if I sound lost...

Where can i download the VPN-software looked everywhere at the avaya side.

Greets Peter

According to the Avaya rep in our area, it might work but said it is not supported by Avaya. So according to him will be very hard to get support from Avaya if setup with IP Office.

GDVillarreal, did it work without problem in your test? I mean remote phones connect to Security Gateway and connect to IP Office without problem?

Must it be a Avaya security Gateway can it be other brand firewalls??

Greets Peter

Can i use a Avaya SG-5 for it or need i an SG-200 or an other type.
Just need to buy one for testing.

Greets Peter

khayulay, yes it worked fine. The VPNremote software seems to be completely independent of the rest of the phone operations, so I think its pretty transparent to what it connects once the VPN network is up. Yeah I guess Avaya doesn't support this, my Tier 3 Avaya IP Office guy didn't even know about this new feature. The Avaya data director here in Mexico wasn't better off either! Well what a surprise hehe. I'd rather have them concentrate on working on basic reboot and reliability bugs right now.

I tried it on an SG200. I guess it could be possible to have it work on other firewalls but who knows.

So, in theory do you guys think it is possible to use this to hook up to a standard vpn hardware device and hook it into an IP Office, or do you need the security gateway no matter what?

I want to know if I can connect it to my Firebox and from there go to my IPO 403 and treat it like an extension.

Hmmm....

I guess if Avaya VPNRemote software doesn't use any Avaya specific code it should work with any standard compliant VPN router.

Like GDVillarreal mentioned above as long as the VPNremote software is completely independent of the rest of the phone operations the IP Office shouldn't have any problem communicating with 46xx IP Phones with VPNRemote. For IP Office those phones will be just like any other IP Phone connected through any other VPN. If it is not dependent on Communication Manager's code i think Avaya should support it becuase it will help many small companies to setup remote users.

The problem is, i guess becuase the product is new, even most of the Avaya reps don't know what is going on. I need to find out what they mean by Avaya will not support if you set up with IPO. I'll not get any support for the whole IPO or just IP phone part will not be supported?

Okay,

I will give it a shot and see how it works.

I'll let you know - I should be able to try it out this week.

Has anyone made any progress on this issue? I have a client that is looking to set up remote workers on a system in order to track their calls. I would like to use it on an IPO.

Thanks.

Last thing I heard from Avaya is, they are testing with IPO and expecting to support by end of June.

Regarding using another VPN Router insted of Avaya's SG series, i was told that it won't work and will get certificate invalid error on phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back