Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3300 MCD 5300 series registration issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kcissem

IS-IT--Management
Nov 16, 2007
US
Hello all,

I have noticed recently in our logs that our 5300 series phones reregisters with the ICP for no apparent reason, when this happens users complain of dropped calls after hearing 2 beeps and a little black box shows in the upper right of the display. I know this means that for some reason the phones are rehoming to the ICP the question is Why? There are no apparent network issues as far as i can tell within our network gear. It does appear to only involve 5300 series phones that were part of the same batch of phones (new installs). could this be a case of a bunch of bad phones? I replaced one as a test and it appears to have stopped having issues for now.

Another thought i had was maybe the system need a second processor added as it is getting to the size recommended to have it. (which i am upgrading the system tonight with said processor).

Need some more info.
1-3300 (assume) software version.
2-data switch types (cisco? Adtran? Nortel? etc)
3-What do the 3300 logs say when this happens?
4-Are the 3300's on the same subnet?

Also, just for grins, turn off ICMP on your data switches and nearest router. I've seen similar things created by ICMP redirects?

Ralph

To answer your questions

1 - yes 3300 ICP running MCD 4.0.1.23 (needs to be upgraded, but according to release notes my issue is not mentioned anyways)

2 - switch types is Cisco 3560's, Routers are Cisco also

3 - Logs state
"An IP device, with DN xxxx, registered at CDP L2 MAC address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:x, CDP L2 Port GigabitEthernet0/21, CDP L2 IP Address: xx.xx.xx.xx" With no log stating that the specific dn lost contact first as it usually does if it reboots, unplugged etc.

4 - No they are not, two separate buildings clustered together.

All phones that are doing this though are part of a recent batch of 500 phones that were placed within the last six months. all existing phones before this that were 5200 series do not show these symptons, it is only the new 5300 series that were placed recently and randomly happens at that.

Does this specifically happen after a call has been transferred to the user?

If yes, it's an exact example of a similar issue I had. Turn off ICMP on your switches and nearest router.
What I've seen happen - and make note this was on a *flat* network, a call would be xferred to a phone, the phone would answer, the network (and I don't know why) would send an ICMP redirect message to the phone and it would reboot. No resiliency here so it just rebooted.

Ralph

Based on what you say I would say that the issue is with the sets. Any difference in the firmware on the ones that are failing as opposed to the ones that are ok?

There may be no i in team but there are three f's in fudge off.

from the way the users explain the issue when it happens it seems to be during the initial call setup phase. Most have said their phone will ring and when they answer all they hear are 2 beeps and then the phone goes dead, i've also had some say they will be checking their voicemail and hear the 2 beeps and call goes dead. This particular site has all their traffic go through ip trunks to the main site which has the nupoint server, PRI connections etc.

I will have to get other departments to turn off the ICMP's, I can do it in the switches myself but don't have access to the routers.

I have the same sort of issue on a couple of sites. Phones resetting and getting black blocks on screen. I have a ticket open with Mitel but they have been no real help they say its a network problem even though it only happens on 53xx phones.

This sounds like exactly what I've experienced. Turns out that the 53xx sets have an issue with ICMP redirects. Soon as this was disabled in the network it was resolved.

Never actually able to catch it in Wireshark. Tech support went to design (after two vendors and a couple of months of TS) and they came back with "Tell them to turn off ICMP redirects and fix their network".

I understand that the next version of 53xx will have a new base OS that won't have this problem.

Ralph

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back