Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3300 MCD 4.0 networking 3 switches via IP trunking

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnytelexperts

Technical User
Jul 13, 2009
CA
Does anyone have any docs i can reference or point me in the right direction to accomplish IP trunking between 3 x 3300 CX II controllers. Site 1 will have 200 ext #'s, site 2 will have 300 ext #'s, site 3 will have 400 ext #'s.

Site 1- RTC 10.4.41.10, FTP 10.4.41.11, POE Switch 10.4.41.12
Site 2- RTC 10.4.42.10, FTP 10.4.42.11, POE Switch 10.4.42.12
Site 3- RTC 10.4.43.10, FTP 10.4.43.11, POE Switch 10.4.43.12

The IT guy tells me they are not in a VLAN persay but will be able to see eachother at all times.

The ideal set up would be if site 1 dials 300 it automatically goes to site 2 without the need of node ID's, and same if site 1 calls site 3. I hope this is clear enough to understand and thank you very much in advance for any help on this issue.

Have you ever done any clustering of any 3300's

Do you have access to Mitel Online Doc's

Does the site have OPSman or are you going to use the built in Remote DN method?

You've asked for quite a lot but given us no base line from where to start.

Occam's Razor - All things being equal, the simplest solution is the right one.

1. No this will be my first
2. I have access to mitel online but haven't been able to find anything helpful
3.no opsman, they are MCD4.0 so they have integrated directory updating if i remember correctly

I'm not looking for an answer to just get thru this install, i need to learn it properly but i only have the 3300 basic course under my belt and this wasn't covered, i believe it's covered in the advanced course.I'm more then willing to read through the docs if i know which docs it's found in. For now site 1 only needs a basic setup and i can work with the other 2 in house to figure out how to get them to talk.

Knowledge Base Acticle:05-5166-00009

Quick Guide to program Clusters and Resiliency

I just skimmed it and it looks pretty good to me.

On second viewing, that doc is missing lots. Not very useful for a novice.

I'll keep looking

I hope when you say 200, 300 and 400 ext #'s you don't mean IP phones. A single cx controller will not support 400 IP phones.

I think he was refering to number ranges not quantity.

Unique number ranges are important when clustering.

Yeah i was refering to numbering scheme. Thank you for the link, i'll read it over to get a better understanding.

Most of the programming is fairly straight forward. There are a couple of points where things can get confusing. Particularily with the Trunk Remote Profile.

Good design is the key.

Each system will need a number, say... 1, 2 and 3.
Try to make everything associated with a system end in the same number.

This includes but is not limited to:
Cluster Element Digits
Cluster Feature Activation Codes
ARS Routes
IP Trunk Groups
IP Trunk Profiles
PBX Numbers
IP Addresses

By designing it this way the call flow is much easier to follow.

e.g. Caller on system 2 calls extension on system 1 (300 dials 200)
Call Flow:
Ext 300 Dials 200
System 2 checks local extensions (not Found)
System 2 check remote extensions (found for system 1)
system 2 dials CEID for system 1 - XXX1
system 2 ARS matches route XX1
system 2 ARS route selects IP Trunk Group XX1
system 2 IP Trk group uses trunk profile 1
system 2 connects to ip xxx.xxx.xxx.xx1
system 2 delivers digits CEID+200 (xxx1200)
system 1 recognises CEID as local and strips digits
system 1 dials ext 200
Call connects

You don't need any clustering. if you have an established numbering plan and people will not move from one site to another. Just create IP trunks, assign routes through those trunks and in ASR form make prefixes 2 and two digits to follow, 3 and two digits to follow, 4 and two digits to follow pointing to desired destination. One thing to remember is when you configure trunk service assignment for IP trunks, you need to enter 0 in "Digits to absorb" option. Blank will not work.

All required information is in embedded on-line help.

slapin, condidering that MCD 4 is designed to network and that the users design already avoids numbering conflicts I would argue that not clustering would be a shameful waste of technology. The easiest path is not necessarily the right one. There are many considerations that simple ARS networking does not address.

Clustering requires a little of understanding of the idea behind the manual. Otherwise it can lead to hard to resolve design issues. For example administrator will start issuing extesions from wrong blocks which will be perfecly operational, but people will make long distance calls in order to reach local pizza place. It is just one example.
In our case the question was how to make it work without node ID prefix, minimum configuration and all documentation must be available. Yes, and no additional training.

P.S. See your own signature
*******************************************************Occam's Razor - All things being equal, the simplest solution is the right one.

Slapin, Do you really think we're discussing "Equal" scenarios? I stand by my suggestions. Not clustering limits your options too severely. If the system can be clustered, then it should be.

my suggestion is johnnytelexperts take the advanced course so he is certified. Although clustering is not that difficult here is a guy trying to do something he clearly doesn't understand. Sorry to be a wet blanket.

Your right I clearly don't understand it, but when it's sold and i'm told install it whether I know it or not, I have to stumble through it. I agree advanced course would be fantastic but right now we are too busy to have time to scratch our own asses, so losing a tech for a week is not a viable solution. Again to all the above posters, thank you for all your suggestions and i will chisel at this and will get it going, have a great holiday!!

LoopLou and Johnnytelexperts, I would recommend you follow the info given by KWBMitel, as you have only taken the basic I&M and Clustering will make your life infinitely easier once the systems are in and running.
If you foul up "Managed by SDS" post install MCD 4 is not forgiving I am speaking from personal experience.

I have to side with Slapin, I have a customer with 13 sites connected via frame relay, I have 4 LX controllers (not MCD capable) as A.A.'s and IP gateways for the sites with 2K's and I have 9 MXE's stand alone, the IP/Xnet forms and ARS is all it takes, most of it is simple and straight forward, very simple, one of the easiest things I've ever done on a 3300. I've got Basic only techs that were able to reverse engineer how I did it and successfully set it up without my or Tech supports help. I have to also agree with Opsmgr06 that when you do cluster and/or involve SDS, ALL your ducks better be in a row. This customer also lets certain power users take their extensions to other sites, so as long as I define the ARS explicitly, it works like a champ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back