Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3 COM Firewall and Windows 2000 Server DNS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccsscotland

IS-IT--Management
Oct 11, 2002
GB
Hi Guys,

Any ideas?

Shared office location - ie all offices in building going out thru 1 router (Telewest)

In the office:
3 com firewall, NAT with DHCP (but not configured)

IP Addresses that show:

10.0.0.1 (Internal I think)
62....... (External facing IP ie the router? - as this looks like a Blueyonder address, and that is who the shared office location uses as ISP
212....... (This is the IP that connects the clients to internet)

The clients are connecting to the server via DHCP, but the only way for users to get out to internet (including the W2K server) is for them to have 212. address as primary DNS, which is not correct - should be 10.0.0.2

Server has 2 NICs, but only 1 is used at the moment.

My ideas...

Reconfigure firewall? To normal setting (as they are not using NAT)
Configure static routes in DNS on the server to point at 212 IP and 62. IP
Create host record 10.0.0.1 ?

The clients cannot seem to connect to the server correctly, and "No logon server " error message in Event Viewer keeps appearing (I think because DNS is not resolving correctly)

Any thoughts you might have would be extremely helpful, and if you know of anyone who can think of a better configuration that would be most welcome!

Regards,

Gaz ;o)

there are two issues here. 1. routing/firewall. make sure you can pass through the 3 com firewall. you can use tracert to check it. 2. DNS. assuming you have an internal dns, make sure all computers including dns server point to dns server.

For more tips or information, go to
Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows, Network and How to at

Hi Robert,

Many thanks for the reply:

Regarding 1. will try that out at next visit, but the answer is yes, I can get out thru the firewall - but that is not really the issue.

Regarding 2. If i point the W2K server to its own IP as Preferred DNS, I am not able to access the internet at either the server or client. If I swap the preferred DNS (10.0.0.2) and the 212.... addresses over, it works fine, but when I attempted to join the clients to the domain, I had to first configure the preferred as 10.0 etc, and then join to the domain (I also edited the lmhosts file) and then to obtain inet connectivity, I had to swap the addresses around. Consequently, the network does not really respond the way it should.

What I need to know is what is the best way for me to configure the firewall, and internal DNS/DHCP to allow clients to connect to the network and also to the internet, but using the 10.0.0.2 address as preferred DNS address?

Could I use a forward look up zone do you think?

I look forward to your thoughts,

Regards,

Gaz

Hmmm

I am starting to think that the best way is simply to create a simple forwarder in DNS to point to the external IP of the firewall?

Sound good to anybody?

G

OK,

Seems like I am using this as an electronic sounding board.

I did that, it worked.

G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back