Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

200ICP Drops Off Network Every Sunday 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rossiv

Technical User
Mar 7, 2009
US
Have a 200 ICP MX running 5.0.2.12 that is, for some reason, dropping off of the network on Sundays. This has happened for at least the last month or so. The system becomes completely unresponsive, but only over the network. I can't telnet into it, and our iPocket connected to the PMS loses connection so our housekeepers can't put in rooms and check ins/outs aren't updated either.

We don't have any IP phones as this was an upgrade from a 200 EL, so I can't say if those were affected. All digital and analog here.

This same network backbone runs lots of other things like CCTV and digital signage, so I'm pretty sure it's not the network. The 200 ICP and anything else connected to the system over IP are on their own VLAN.

All of the switches are HP ProCurves. If I get onto one of the switches right now, I can look at the port that the 200 ICP is connected to and see the MAC of the network adapter. Come Sunday, the port shows that link is up, but there is no activity and no MAC address shown.

I know this is really bizarre. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Have you looked at the logs?

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

Nothing useful there, unless I'm looking at the wrong logs. I don't see anything between a 911 call cleared on the 18th and another 911 on the 23rd.

If you have no IP devices other than the iPocket, why not isolate from the network with a small layer2 switch.
Connect the 200ICP and the iPocket and see if the issue goes away.

@Waldosworld I would if I could. The controller and iPocket are in separate parts of two different buildings. Only way for them to talk is over the network as it is connected now.

Just guessing but what might be happening is a DHCP server is handing out a conflicting address with a 1 week lease time.

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

Though there is a non-Mitel DHCP server on that VLAN, nothing is conflicting. DHCP is disabled on the 200 ICP. It's set to Static and so is the iPocket.
I really think it's something with the controller - I can't think of anything else that would cause it to not show up on the switchport with its MAC address.

I would check the arp table of another active device to see if there is another device using the address when this occurs

So everything has worked fine since my last post and out of nowhere it quit today. Haven't reset the system yet so I'm doing some tests.

[ul]
[li]Can NOT ping the ICP from another device on the network[/li]
[li]As expected, no Telnet or Browser sessions into the device[/li]
[li]Does NOT show up in ARP table[/li]
[li]Switch port shows link is UP[/li]
[li]No MAC Address shown on the switch port[/li]
[li]Bouncing the switch port doesn't help[/li]
[/ul]

Still pointing to the controller. Any other ideas?

The plot thickens. So I didn't reset it last night (or at all yesterday) when it was working, and magically it's working fine all day today. Don't know when exactly it started working - just know that the housekeepers haven't complained about not being able to put in their rooms.

Slight correction to my above comment - no one complained, but the conditions listed in my next to last post still stand. No MAC, link is up, no PING, etc. They definitely told me it was working, but I can't see how it could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back