Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2009 workstation freezes for 25 seconds after start

Status
Not open for further replies.

p15650

IS-IT--Management
Jul 21, 2007
US
Upgraded 2007 to 2009. 2007 was installed on a microsoft 2000 server and working fine w 8 workstations. 2009 could not be installed on the server so i installed on xp workstation [3 gigs, dual core, raid 0 hard drive 7200 rpm]; program works great on the server [xp pro]; other worksations [xp pro all amd dual cores] load the database quickley but all show a spike in data transfer about 15 seconds follwoing start of act [without me doing anything in act]; before this spike [for the 1st 15 seconds], i can move around act without any problems or slowness. As soon as the spike happens, act freezes for about 25 seconds [cpu to 100% usage by act] and then everything works great; no problmes jumping around after this delay [or at least so far in my intial trials]; any idea what the spike of data is 15 seconds following starting act even if act is left idle? also, the cpu usage goes to maximum with the spike and drops back to normal afte rhte 25 seconds when act becomes responsive again!

This does not happen when act is run on the server; there is no network spike or increase in cpu;

also, some of the workstations are connected via 100mb and others are on gigabit net and all show the same behaviour [not a transfer of data speed issue].

thnx for any suggestions you may have.

hi,
all workstations have the sudden freeze for about 25-30 seconds, 15 seconds after act loads; but after the slowdown, everything starts working fine.

sharing the demo database seems ok with no slow downs!

i have 4500 contacts
17000 activities in task list [most are previous appointments as act is being used as a appointment book].

however, this did not happen with the same database on version 2007 which i was using before updating to 2009.

thnx for any suggestions

What build of ACT! (check in Help | About)? If 11.1, get the update for 11.1 + hot fix 1

Have you done a Compress/Reindex? You should do this at least weekly.

With so many activities, I'd also install this Microsoft Hot Fix - VERY useful!

If those don't help:
How many users?
Is the XP server a dedicated machine, or is there a user on it also?
Is it logged in (to Windows or ACT!)?

Regards,
Mike Lazarus
ACT! Evangelist
GL Computing, Aust
Join the LinkedIN ACT! Fanatics Group

I have 11.1.183.0 hotfix 1

when i try to do database repair and index from act tools menu and it states there is an error; when trying to fix the error, it would fail in 2007; in 2009, it states it has a second way of taking care of the error which may result in data loss; i have tried that and it also fails in repairing database. But, I repaired and reindexed it using actdiag; even after actdiag repair, the repair in act toolbar still gives errors that cant be repaired!

I will update my machines to xp sp3 and try to use the patch on one machine and see if it will resolve the issue and let you know.

thnx

Let me know how you go.

Also, have you tried these:

If it still has a problem after these, I would submit the database to be repaired...

At least make sure you are keeping good backups, but even these may not be able to be restored if the damage is in certain areas.

Some issues can get worse over time and may end up leaving you with an unrecoverable loss of data.

Regards,
Mike Lazarus
ACT! Evangelist
GL Computing, Aust
Join the LinkedIN ACT! Fanatics Group

hi,

just spent 2 hours with the act support@@@

after going back and forth, noted that the reason database backup was failing when done trhough act vs done with actdiag was because my database was placed on a data drive fat32!! when i moved the database to c drive [ntfs], no more errors!!! now i need to figure out why i get the horrible slow down on my workstations and will try the upgrade and let you know.

thnx

Updated one workstation to sp3 and the hotfix as above. The same problem continues with the 25-50second delay after a spike of data after starting act. Of note, if the database is closed without closing act and the database is opened again, the issue does not happen [ie, only initial start of act causes the problem];

to answer your other questions:

xp server is my workstation in which i log in and run my regular other activities; has 3 gig's; has dual core pentium; raid 0 setup for speed with harddrives. I am the only person that logs into the server. Also, i logged out to make sure no programs running [beside services] and still get the delay [ie, the server load and usage does not seem to be a problem];

thnx

Ok.

ACTsage.exe is taking all the processors time...

if one workstation opens it/closes it/opens it again, next workstation still has the freeze.

Given how much faster act 2009 is in general, i have decided to live witht he 20-50 second freeze only when the program starts running as everything else is much better and we rarely close act [computers stay on all night].

Also, have a choice of running act server with no other programs running on 2 gh core duo 4600 xppro vs a pentium d 2.8 with raid 0 which is also my fileserver but would have to be upgraded to windows 2003 from 2000 server.

Is it worth the cost to upgrade to 2003 to run act on server w raid or will the xp pro with nonraid only running act be reaonable [so far, xppro non raid seems to work just fine!]

thnx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back