Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1st XP Machine connected to our network, eventually.... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
XP relies heavily on DNS, as does Win2k. Ensure that all the settings in tcp/ip are correct for looking at your dns server.

Regards

Are you using roaming profiles.?

If so this might be the problem.... I have notest that XP uploads alot of information..

We are rolling out XP now and have decided to use local profiles till we find away to decrese what XP uploads as a profile.

So if anyone know the answer to that ;O) ;O) ;O)

cheers

Hmmm,

If your using a 100mg network check that your NIC is running 100mg Full duplex.

Also check if your going into a hub that it's 100mg.

Like wise if you going strate into a switch... see if the port you XP machine in plugged into is running 100mg Full Duplex..

If your running a 10mg network make sure your NIC is running at 10mg..

Let me now if that helps

;O)

cheers

Can't think of anymore suggestion off the top of my head..

If i think of something or find something that helps i'll let you now

sorry ;O)

cheers

Any interesting / relevant messages in the eventlog? (Run eventvwr.msc) ? ---
saybibi();
//john
#include <stddiscl.h>

Are you sure that it's the logon process that's taking time? I have seen cases where the startup of a virus scanner (or other software that loads at startup) can significantly slow XP.

Smah,it is staying on &quot;Loading your personal setting&quot; for ages and ages. There is no other software installed as yet.

ie6user

Nice one found theses keep popping up in the eventviewer,
any suggestions.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1053
Date: 26/11/2002
Time: 14:29:46
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: ICTHEAD
Description:
Windows cannot determine the user or computer name. (The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. ). Group Policy processing aborted.

Event Type: Warning
Event ID: 1524
Time: 14:31:06
User: CHAUCER\administrator
Description:
Windows cannot unload your classes registry file - it is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

Event Type: Information
Event ID: 1516
Time: 14:31:12
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Description:
Windows unloaded user CHAUCER\Administrator registry when it received a notification that no other applications or services were using the profile.

Steve

Your 1st message is likely the problem... the machine is trying to download the latest group policies, but that fails, probably by timing out... even might throw in a retry or so, but I don't think so..

Ok - that was the easy part. Now the fun begins:

Apparently there is a problem with the group policy.. you could look into the GP, and might fund something..

Your 2000 machine - are you running a domain or having a full AD setup?

Are other (nt4) machines getting their policies ok?

Just some thoughts to start with... ---
saybibi();
//john
#include <stddiscl.h>

Are you running active directory on your network. If not you should set up 2000 DNS and give out that address in DHCP. Then set your ISP's DNS servers as forwarders in the DNS server. That way your clients aren't going all the way to the ISP for there DNS Info

ie6user

Thanks for your help on my problem.

Apparently there is a problem with the group policy.. you could look into the GP, and might fund something..

>>>>>I have not set any GPs on the server using Active Directory yet, so I can't understand why there should be a problem.

Your 2000 machine - are you running a domain or having a full AD setup?

>The server is our Domain controller, we only have one server. I don't understand the question?

Are other (nt4) machines getting their policies ok?

>The NT machines on our network are working fine,
almost all use the default profile, locked up
and secured by using Poledit. Which creates the &quot;ntconfig.pol&quot; which have no effect on XP,
just as AD Group Polices have no effect on NT Workstations.

shpshftr:

The DNS is set in our DHCP server, so the workstations must be getting it for there, and not from our ISP.

Thank you for all your continuing help with my problem,
in January we are considering deploying XP in a whole computer suite, but not if I can't get this sorted.

Steve Audus
Chaucer School
Sheffield, UK

Steve,

I still believe that the configuration of dns needs to be looked at. Please post the config details for the tcp/ip setup on the xp box and the same for the dhcp/dns which I assume is running on the win2k server.

Thanks

arteus

The DHCP Server is running on a seprate NT machine, it hasn't been moved yet onto our 2K Server.

The setting are:
Scope 153.216.254.1 to 153.216.254.254
Sub net 255.255.0.0
Router : 153.216.254.254
DNS Servers : 156.1.10.1
Domain Name : ngfl.sheff

The setting on XP, I have not touched,
it should pick it's setting from the DHCP server.
Setting from XP are as follows.
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ICTHEAD
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : chaucer.sheffield.sch.uk
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : chaucer.sheffield.sch.uk
sheffield.sch.uk
sch.uk

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : ngfl.sheff
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810X Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-40-CA-35-31-8C
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 153.216.254.24
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 153.216.254.254
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 153.216.254.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 156.1.10.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 27 November 2002 08:27:06
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 19 January 2038 03:14:07

Thanks for your help,
Steve

Just been reading all your troubles with XP as we're hoping use it with 2000 Server from Christmas. Our tests haven't gone too well but pressure from above says &quot;get on with it&quot; - I'm sure you know all about that!

One thing that did improve our initial loggin on time was increasing the memory of each machine to 256k. One of the more obvious steps I know but, then, it wouldn't be the first time I've gone vack to basics to remedy a problem.

Just my 2 cents, I had issues with the subnet being to 'broad' once.
If possible, narrow it down to:
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Also, DHCP is just fine, but if you only have 1 server, force the Default Gateway to that one (153.216.254.254 ?)
But what is that 156.1.10.1 address? The 2000?
If so, why is it configured out off scope?

marcs41

I can't narrow the subnet because our ISDN Router is configured for us, and that's set at 255.255.0.0.

By setting the router address in the DHCP, I thought I was
forcing the Default Gateway.

156.1.10.1 is the ISP's DNS address we were given set in the DHCP server.

Thanks for your help
Steve

The ISp's subnet has nothing to do with that, your internal LAN range is 153.216.254.1 to 153.216.254.254, so 255.255.255.0 is just fine.
The DNS shoud point to an INTERNAL machine, the 2000 or the NT4, whichever serves as DNS.
You also stated more than once you only have 1 server, but you have 2 ! The DHCP server...is a server.
Why don't you just make the 200 your DNS, DHCP and Default Gateway, it will make your life much much easier.
What happens now is any XP PC searches for a DHCP server, that takes a while, and then gets the ISP as DNS entry, next it has to look for the Domain server, where there is nor real direct pointer to. Still surprised it takes so long?
So, tell your XP's MANUALLY that the default gateway is the 2000, as well as the DNS, and make sure that 2000 uses the router as DNS and default gateway.
Try it on 1 PC with a problem, it does not take that long to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back