Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1st XP Machine connected to our network, eventually.... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marcs41 is right on the ball as usual. As I originally said the dns has to be internal. The path to external sources will always be via the router or whatever other method you use. Set the xp box as sugested and you will logon to be almost instantaneous, depending on your lan bandwidth of course.

Cheers

marcs41

Thank for your help, I have to agree with arteus you are probably correct. But it will take some time to check it out, I have to get help on setting up our DHCP server on the 2000 server, as I have never done it before and I have just found out we are getting a new broadband router and a whole new set of IP scope.

I have just started Cisco CNNA training, and so even though I have been working with IP addressing for 5 years my understanding of what to the numbers are and what they do is still a bit of a mystery to me.

Thank you all for your help, and I will let you know how I get on.

Cheers,
Steve Audus

You can alway try part of it, just as a test, just add the correct default gateway and dns manually.
It is in the Xp LAN properties - TCPIP - Advanced.
Put the DNS in the correct search order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back