Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1600 phones with Cisco DHCP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

inet33

IS-IT--Management
Mar 24, 2011
I'm having a tough time getting the 1616 phone to work in DHCP mode. Just a single vlan (so the voice is on the same vlan as data).

When I first plug in it goes through the boot, then DHCP, DHCPNAK, then it times out, reboots and repeats.

In the Cisco dhcp scope, I have tried variations of the following
option 242 ascii "MCIPADD=192.168.1.200"
option 242 ascii "MCIPADD=192.168.1.200,MCPORT=1719"
option 242 ascii "MCIPADD=192.168.1.200,MCPORT=1719,L2Q=0,L2QVLAN=0"
option 242 ascii "MCIPADD=192.168.1.200,MCPORT=1719,HTTPSRVR=192.168.1.200,L2Q=0,L2QVLAN=0"

I've assigned one of the phone with a static IP and it works like a charm.

Any suggestions?

use the bottom one but take out "L2Q=0,L2QVLAN=0"

Jamie Green

Football is not a matter of life and death-It is far more important!!!!

Hmm not sure what's happening then... tried as suggested but still stuck with the DHCP

option 242 ascii "MCIPADD=192.168.1.200,MCPORT=1719,HTTPSRVR=192.168.1.200"

Just tried that and it keeps on booting. DHCP debuging on the 1841 router shows it has sent a DHCPACK and a BOOTREPLY to it.

I'll try to do a reboot of the router tonight to see if it makes a difference...

don't know Cisco so couldn't say much for the syntax, but the string is correct.

Jamie Green

Football is not a matter of life and death-It is far more important!!!!

I have seen this before but not when using Cisco DHCP. The IP500 was doing the DHCP and all of a sudden I got the same issues as you describe.

Turns out some bugger had put an Apple Airport WAP on the network and that completely knackered the DHCP. I'd check to see if you have any dodgy devices on your network before blaming the Cisco...

Good luck.

ACSS (SME)

I never touched anything...

You know it must have been something along that lines because as of this morning the 1616 started to work fine with no changes to the router. It's funny because we have enough computers here that if someone plugs in a rogue DHCP server I would have had a lot of complaints.

Is there an option to have the DHCP server attempt to ping the IP before assigning it?
Although, I've have a case where an IP in the DHCP range was assigned to a firewall that was being tested and wasn't pingable. The DHCP server would always try to give out that address and IP phones would refuse it and fail. PC's would refuse and try again.

I only found this by sniffing the network and examining the DHCP broadcasts.

In a properly managed network any static addresses should be excluded from the DHCP pool and recorded in documents what device(s) has the static IP's, there is no need for pinging before assigning then, but I don't think any DHCP server has that option anyway :)

ACSS (SME)
APSS (SME)

"I'm just off to Hartlepool to buy some exploding trousers

Although properly or not, I always find IPs that someone decided to make static, but the Cisco IOS actually knows better to ping first to make sure that it has a good IP before assigning it.

You can see this by typing show ip dhcp conflict at the ios prompt.

The best option is to use wireshark to see the dhcp options you get from the cisco.

Avaya_Red.gif

Dain Bramaged (Avaya Search tool )

This is what i've used once.

Code:
ip dhcp pool Voice
network 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0
default-router 192.168.1.X 255.255.255.0
dns-server 192.168.1.X 255.255.255.0
option 242  ascii "MCIPADD=192.168.1.200,MCPORT=1719,HTTPSRVR=192.168.1.200"

Avaya_Red.gif

Also check the excluded ip range, you could have made a typo.

Avaya_Red.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back